GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New GX owner saying hello

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-14, 06:08 AM
TexLexSC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New GX owner saying hello

I just bought a 2003 Silver GX 470 Monday with 92,000 for $15,000.

I feel I got a decent deal considering the amount of miles, condition and recent maintance that has been done to it.

My first choice would have been a 05+ in black or white with tan interior but none were available within a reasonable price range for comparable miles so I went with this one.

The timing belt was recently changed and it has all new tires. The exterior and interior condition are also in very good shape with the exception of the dash which has the usual cracks around the passenger airbag and driver instrument cluster.

So far I am pleased with how it drives. The only annoyance is that I am hearing a squeak sometimes that seems to be coming from the back area interior. I have the 3rd row seats folded up so perhaps it's those or it could even be the tool kit in the rear door. I can't really tell where it is coming from but it does drive me nuts.

Other than that I am pleased. I also have a 02 4runner limited 4x4 that has been rock solid but it is getting up there in mileage with 160k and i've recently noticed that from a stop sometimes the tranmission seems to slip into neutral which is a little troubleing. My plan is to drive the GX for a year, then pass it to my wife and get something sportier for myself.

I had looked at FJ Cruisers but the blind spots are just terrible, the comforts arent there and the one I drove really wondered all over the road. It is a shame because I really wanted to like it but just couldn't see myself in it as a daily driver.

Having a teenage daughter I went with the more practical choice and I dont think i'll regret it.

I did a bit of reading around on here before I bought the GX and aside from the air suspension problems I havent seen anything else that was too prevelant. If i decide to keep her long term then I will probably switch it to a coil set up. I don't really tow and I could care less about adjusting the suspesion feel or height. Predictable and simple suits me better.

Well I look forward to all of your help and expertise here in the future and it has already been useful with the instructions I found to reprogram the autolock function. This seems like a great community and I am glad to be a part of it.
Old 03-06-14, 07:10 AM
shkGX470
Driver School Candidate

Welcome aboard and congrats on the purchase!

I actually bought a black one with 95k miles and have loved it so much. I bought mine in February. If you're mechanically inclined, there's a lot you can do to help your truck along. I've replaced the cabin filter, air filter, spark plugs, oil and oil filter all for less an $100. I'll be changing the rear and front differential fluid this weekend along with the transfer case fluid and lubricating my zerk fittings. This will be less than $100 as well.

Just so that you know, and mine did this as well, is that you may be getting a Christmas tree of warning lights! My VSC, TRAC, Skid and check engine light all lit up a week after I bought her! I of course freaked out but it was only just the gas cap! No joke. A $40 fix for me so check that gas cap to make sure its not loose.

Also, I have two bad TPMS and so I performed the bypass fix at the ECU. This fix was free! As long as you're vigilant about your maintenance and check your tire pressure consistently, I'm okay not spending $400 to replace two sensors. And, I'm sure more will go out as the batteries inside these things go out.

As you have your timing belt done, you're basically good for another 90k! Did you make sure that the water pump was also changed out?

The only other thing that seems to pop up (other than the suspension of course) is the radiator, so I'm watching mine like a hawk.

That's really it man. The engine and transmission on these trucks are like tanks! And so very smooth! Optionally, I'm thinking about putting LEDs in the interior cabin along with the side steps like RCsGX and maybe switch out my headlights with a retro kit. I purposely got a GX without NAV so I can replace it with an aftermarket unit so that may be coming.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Last edited by shkGX470; 03-06-14 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-06-14, 07:18 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Congrats on the purchase I bought a 2004 in July Love the truck
Old 03-06-14, 07:39 AM
TexLexSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by shkGX470
Welcome aboard and congrats on the purchase!

I actually bought a black one with 95k miles and have loved it so much. I bought mine in February. If you're mechanically inclined, there's a lot you can do to help your truck along. I've replaced the cabin filter, air filter, spark plugs, oil and oil filter all for less an $100. I'll be changing the rear and front differential fluid this weekend along with the transfer case fluid and lubricating my zerk fittings. This will be less than $100 as well.

Just so that you know, and mine did this as well, is that you may be getting a Christmas tree of warning lights! My VSC, TRAC, Skid and check engine light all lit up a week after I bought her! I of course freaked out but it was only just the gas cap! No joke. A $40 fix for me so check that gas cap to make sure its not loose.

Also, I have two bad TPMS and so I performed the bypass fix at the ECU. This fix was free! As long as you're vigilant about your maintenance and check your tire pressure consistently, I'm okay not spending $400 to replace two sensors. And, I'm sure more will go out as the batteries inside these things go out.

As you have your timing belt done, you're basically good for another 90k! Did you make sure that the water pump was also changed out?

The only other thing that seems to pop up (other than the suspension of course) is the radiator, so I'm watching mine like a hawk.

That's really it man. The engine and transmission on these trucks are like tanks! And so very smooth! Optionally, I'm thinking about putting LEDs in the interior cabin along with the side steps like RCsGX and maybe switch out my headlights with a retro kit. I purposely got a GX without NAV so I can replace it with an aftermarket unit so that may be coming.

Good luck and keep us updated!
If I had found an 05+ in black I probably would have quickly converted the supension to coils, gone with some aftermarket wheels with bigger tires, murdered it out and added a few offroad things like skid plates and a bull bar and swapped out the lights and stereo.

But since this one will probably end up going to the wife rather quickly then I will probably only fix things as they come up and keep it as oem as reasonable.

I may end up doing a couple of little things like LEDs or stereo.

For some reason my stereo has way too much high end. If the treble is set to anything above -2 I hear constant symbols that seem to drown everything else out. If I go much lower than -2 on treble then everything sound goofy. It is not a great stereo but I think I can live with it as long as I have to before passing it on.

I do consider myself pretty handy but i'm not a fan of crawling underneith my trucks so anything like suspension and fluid changes I usually leave to the guys with lifts. Anthing that can be done inside the truck or under the hood I will usually tackle myself.
Old 03-06-14, 08:02 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Congrats on the purchase, but where's the pics?!?
Old 03-06-14, 08:22 AM
TexLexSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by IanB2
Congrats on the purchase, but where's the pics?!?
I have been a member of various car forums from MKIV to NSXprime to T4R to this one when I joined because I bought an SC400 and I have never posted a picture of my ride on any of them.

It's not that i'm opposed to the idea its just that I never learned how (hence no profile pic).

I am sure that I could learn but there is truly nothing special about my rig. It is a bone stock 03 silver/gray interior in nice cosmetic condition.

If I ever did anything to it to add to this forum I would post up proof but I am much more of a tried and true mod guy than a test pilot so if I do anything to this truck is will proabbly be something that many other members here have already done and posted pictures of before.
Old 03-06-14, 09:38 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TexLexSC
It's not that i'm opposed to the idea its just that I never learned how (hence no profile pic).
To upload a profile pic:
  • click on the User CP *under GX- First Generation at the top of the page
  • click edit avatar on the left side of the page under SETTINGS AND OPTIONS
  • enter a URL from photobucket etc. or upload a pic directly from computer by clicking the BROWSE button and go to the folder of the pic you want to use

To embed / upload a pic:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/dig...e-posting.html

Method 1: Attachments
You can upload a picture directly from your computer to a post as an 'attachment'. Pics must be 800x600 or smaller and 100k or smaller in size.
When you create a new thread or reply to a thread there's 'Additional Options' at the bottom (if you don't see them maybe you did a quick reply in which case you need to click 'Go advanced') and there's a button labeled 'Manage Attachments' and by clicking on that you can upload your picture file.

Method 2:
Link a picture stored on another web site
You can upload your pictures to another web site (like photobucket which is very popular), and then put the address (URL) of those pictures into your posts. This is better than attachments because you're not limited to size (although huge pictures over 1200 wide are not welcomed) and you can put the addresses of multiple pictures (vs. 1) in a single post.

After you've uploaded your picture to another web site, get the picture on your screen (maybe in another browser), and copy its address (URL) as follows:
Firefox - right click on the image and select 'Copy Image Location'
Internet Explorer - right click on the image and select 'Properties' and copy the address of the picture by highlighting it and right-click/copy or Ctrl-C.

Method3: Using the Club Lexus Photo Gallery Click here for tutorial

Then in your post/pm browser you can paste the the picture address between img tags like this:

Code:
[img]-pasted address-[/img]
Old 03-06-14, 11:21 AM
TexLexSC
Rookie

These are the only two that i have. Took them yesterday infront of my office for the insurance company.
Attached Thumbnails New GX owner saying hello-photo-1.jpg   New GX owner saying hello-photo-2.jpg  
Old 03-06-14, 12:00 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I suspect that the squeak that you're hearing from the rear interior is coming from the 3rd row seats. I noticed a squeak when I bought my '04 2 weeks ago on the 4-hour drive home from the dealership. I tried a few things to no avail, but when I removed the 3rd row seats the squeak disappeared!

Last edited by irishbrahm; 03-06-14 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-06-14, 12:10 PM
TexLexSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
I suspect that the squeak that you're hearing from the rear interior is coming from the 3rd row seats. I noticed a squeak when I bought my '04 2 weeks ago on the 4-drive drive home from the dealership. I tried a few things to no avail, but when I removed the 3rd row seats the squeak disappeared!
You are probably right because when I drove the car home with the seats down after i bought it I never noticed it. Now with the seats folded I hear the squeak.

I would like to know what it is about the folded seats that squeeks though to see if I could fix it because I like the idea of having the seats accessable when needed (very rarely) but need the storage space much more frequently.