GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Navigation - GPS Signal Lost / Never Detects Signal

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-14, 02:35 PM
Bzowk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation - GPS Signal Lost / Never Detects Signal

Hey All -

I bought a 2003 GX470 a couple of months ago and love it. It was a good upgrade from the 98 Land Cruiser I had a couple of years back and much better than my recent X5. Even though it runs great right now, I have one issue bugging me.

The Navigation unit hasn't ever really worked. Actually, it works, but since I bought it has used the secondary system which calculates location based off direction and speed which is only accurate if driving 50 yards or less - even after calibration

I found out how to get into the secret menu and looked through the settings. When I go to the screen which shows connected satellites, it says "Ensure nothing is blocking gps reception." I've tried a couple of resets, but nothing seems to help. I looked up where the antenna is to see if the connections is loose, but the only reference I found said it was on the rear glass. Unless integrated into something, I don't think it is, though.

The system still runs a factory 2003 disc for maps which is Gen 3. I tried a used 2007 map disc which upgraded the system, but didn't help. It gave disc errors so had to go back to the 2003 one. I haven't had a GPS signal since the day I bought it.

Any ideas on what / where I can check to resolve this issue? Was hoping the antennas fine, but either a plug came loose or a workaround exists.

Thanks!
Old 02-08-14, 04:23 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure if it changed on newer models but on my '05 it's under the dash between the right stereo trim piece and the glovebox.
Old 02-08-14, 09:44 PM
Bzowk
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Ill look in the morning. Guess there would need to be some kind of hole or glass in the dash for line of sight. Hopefully find something obvious...
Old 02-08-14, 09:55 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bzowk
Thanks. Ill look in the morning. Guess there would need to be some kind of hole or glass in the dash for line of sight. Hopefully find something obvious...
If you mean a line of sight to be able to see the antenna from above the dash, no there's not. It can still pick up the signal of the satellites completely hidden underneath the dash.

Here's a Kenwood GPS antenna that I installed under my Tundras dash.
Old 02-09-14, 02:58 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I noticed on another forum that someone lost GPS due to a defective Vais iPod adapter.
Did your GX come with any added on electrical accessories? Could be radio frequency interference (RFI) from some add-on. A long shot I know but...
Old 03-08-14, 02:45 PM
hornet7a
Driver School Candidate

Default how to get into the secret menu

Hello members, I've been trying to troubleshoot my Nav system and I heard of a diagnostic screen but don't know how to get into it. I have a 05 GX. The problem is the Nav system does not work, I get a blank screen.
Can someone help me out?
I have a feeling that I'm going to have to replace the hard disk in the Nav, when sitting in the car with the ignition on and its very quiet, I can hear the sound of the disk head trying to work but it sounds like its clicking....like a PC disk crash. Has anybody worked on a Nav system before?

Thanks