GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

75k service?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-14, 06:55 PM
sidwin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 75k service?

My 08 has 75k on it. I never tow anything with it. I read the service manual but didn't see anything in there about transmission fluid or diff fluid change. When do you all change? I saw they said plugs at 120k. I guess that is when timing belt should be done too.

Does anyone have a write up on how to change brake fluid on our trucks? I remember in my gs the system does a start up check so bleeding fluid with a fluid pump doesn't work that well.

Thanks -Sid
Old 01-10-14, 06:52 AM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sidwin
My 08 has 75k on it. I never tow anything with it. I read the service manual but didn't see anything in there about transmission fluid or diff fluid change. When do you all change? I saw they said plugs at 120k. I guess that is when timing belt should be done too.

Does anyone have a write up on how to change brake fluid on our trucks? I remember in my gs the system does a start up check so bleeding fluid with a fluid pump doesn't work that well.

Thanks -Sid
More info on maint. schedule. Click on 'view full schedule' to see everything.

http://www.driverside.com/service-sc...style_id=37929
Old 01-10-14, 07:11 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sidwin

Thanks -Sid
If you haven't done so already, sign up here and you can view the scheduled maintenance.
http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
  • Trans fluid is a "lifetime" fluid. That being said I would probably have the dealer change it at 150K
  • Diff / transfer fluids, it won't hurt to change them now
  • Plugs are good for 100K-120K miles.
  • Timing belt should be changed at 90K. You can go longer but the sooner the better since our engines are an interference engine and a damaged tbelt can destroy your engine
  • There's no write up about changing brake fluid but there are a few threads. The front is just like any other bleeding but the rear you just keep the brake pedal pressed and the system will pump the fluid out on it's own. See attached PDF
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
32-4 Brake Fluid Bleeding.pdf (69.8 KB, 415 views)
Old 01-21-14, 12:13 PM
GX470Fan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCsGX
If you haven't done so already, sign up here and you can view the scheduled maintenance.
  • Trans fluid is a "lifetime" fluid. That being said I would probably have the dealer change it at 150K
  • Timing belt should be changed at 90K. You can go longer but the sooner the better since our engines are an interference engine and a damaged tbelt can destroy your engine
  • There's no write up about changing brake fluid but there are a few threads. The front is just like any other bleeding but the rear you just keep the brake pedal pressed and the system will pump the fluid out on it's own. See attached PDF
I agree with all of this above. Although I'd just like to point out that I think that you should change out your engine and cabin air filters at least once a year, depending on where you live and how you drive. Personally, I change them every other oil change, or more often, as needed. I live in a very dusty climate and that tends to make those filters pretty dirty pretty quickly. It's a relatively inexpensive way to maintain your GX in top form. You can easily buy the parts yourself and replace them. I have Jiffy Lube do it when I get my oil changed. Luckily, they actually stock the parts. The cabin air filter is a bit pricey a about $35 for a very simple piece of equipment, but I like clean, filtered air in my GX. The engine air filter is about a third of that, so that's a no-brainer. I'm not sure what the manual suggests for oil, but I always use FULL synthetic 5W/30 and buy a OEM oil filter for Jiffy Lube to use. I had the same routine with my previous 4Runner Limited and had zero engine problems until about 130k miles when a collision with a deer to totaled my truck. Again, I don't remember what the manual says to put in the transfer cases, but I have that done at Jiffy Lube and haven't had any problems so far. My two cents. Love my GX!!
Old 01-21-14, 01:53 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GX470Fan
I have Jiffy Lube do it when I get my oil changed. Luckily, they actually stock the parts. I'm not sure what the manual suggests for oil, but I always use FULL synthetic 5W/30 and buy a OEM oil filter for Jiffy Lube to use.

Again, I don't remember what the manual says to put in the transfer cases, but I have that done at Jiffy Lube and haven't had any problems so far. My two cents. Love my GX!!
Using Jiffy Lube is not loving your GX.
The following users liked this post:
Rygar470 (08-24-19)
Old 01-21-14, 02:56 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Using Jiffy Lube is not loving your GX.
LOL! Just because they strip the threads on the oil drain plug and put the new oil filter on waaaaay too tight doesn't mean...yeah, it does.
The following users liked this post:
Rygar470 (08-24-19)
Old 08-24-19, 04:03 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I wonder if anybody here is old enough to remember the differential / solid axle in the old rear wheel drive cars. How often was the oil changed in those differentials? They are still used in modern day trucks and jeeps. The 300h CVT is similar to those, ie it has no clutches or friction surfaces.
Old 08-24-19, 04:23 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

My high school & college cars were RWD with solid axles. I don't think I ever changed the oil in them because I was an ignorant teenager.
Ford said to replace the rear diff fluid every 15,000 miles.

Modern petrochemical chemistry is much better, and the Lexus manual says do it every 15k only if you regularly tow or live in the mountains, or dusty environments. Otherwise do it every 30k miles.

Chip H.
Old 04-30-21, 01:17 PM
wowzer
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the timing a belt or chain?
also, could you post the pdf? I couldn’t find it on Lexus’s website. Thanks
Old 04-30-21, 04:00 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

No, it’s fiberglass…chains don’t usually need to be changed