GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

hazards flashing by themselves and low battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-14, 12:56 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default hazards flashing by themselves and low battery?

I had to jump start the truck this morning and after I drove to work and turned it off, the hazards won't stop blinking. I disconnected the battery so to not drain it. I later when to battery warehouse who tested the battery and said it was find and determined I had a loose connection on my terminal. said I need to fully charge the battery. went back to work and turned it off, everything was okay for a while but then the hazards started flashing on their own again.

Lexus said that a low battery is probably tripping the alarm and I just need a new battery. Does this make sense? I can put in on a charger when I get home tonight.
Old 01-06-14, 02:11 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GreggyG
I had to jump start the truck this morning and after I drove to work and turned it off, the hazards won't stop blinking. I disconnected the battery so to not drain it. I later when to battery warehouse who tested the battery and said it was find and determined I had a loose connection on my terminal. said I need to fully charge the battery. went back to work and turned it off, everything was okay for a while but then the hazards started flashing on their own again.

Lexus said that a low battery is probably tripping the alarm and I just need a new battery. Does this make sense? I can put in on a charger when I get home tonight.
You stated the hazards wont shut off . How did lexus make the leap to your alarm is tripping. what about the hazards ?????
Old 01-06-14, 02:52 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

I don't know, I think they were thinking that a low voltage would trip something in the alarm system?
Old 01-06-14, 03:34 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bad relay?
Old 01-06-14, 03:34 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

I don't know, I think they were thinking that a low voltage would trip something in the alarm system?
What was there explanation for your hazards being stuck ????
Old 01-06-14, 07:02 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

damn, I have it charging and it started doing it again. What could be the issue?????? it was fine for an hour after I got home, then it started again. hazards flashing and no noise, etc.
Old 01-06-14, 07:21 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

damn, I have it charging and it started doing it again. What could be the issue?????? it was fine for an hour after I got home, then it started again. hazards flashing and no noise, etc.
When you say there is no noise . Do you hear a clicking as the hazard lights flash. If they flash there is a relay involved. If your not getting any closer to a fix I would seek out another dealership. What the one your using has in my opinion not going about this properly

Your hazard switch may have a short in it and it may be stuck
Old 01-06-14, 07:26 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

I mean't no noise as in the alarm is not going off. I hear the clicking inside. I can't find the fuse or relay to disconnect it, there does not appear to be a dedicated one for the hazards.....
Old 01-06-14, 07:33 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

I mean't no noise as in the alarm is not going off. I hear the clicking inside. I can't find the fuse or relay to disconnect it, there does not appear to be a dedicated one for the hazards.....
If your alarm is being triggered then its sounds like when the flashers start to flash they trip the alarm.
Could be the security system detects the voltage fluctuation and triggers the alarm. You could pull the dash hazard switch and remove the connector that should kill the hazards from working. You still are going to need a properly informed technician to get to The problem I suspect is the hazard switch
Old 01-06-14, 07:46 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

I found the relay up underneath the dash and pulled the connector. It stopped for now but I don't know how to remove the box to test it. does it just pry out? also, for now, my blinkers won't work in the meantime while I drive.
Old 01-06-14, 07:50 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

also, if I remember correctly from earlier today, the problem stopped when i started the car, I imagine that if this was connected to the security system, then I wouldn't be able to start the car, or it would continue when the car is on.
Old 01-06-14, 07:56 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

I found the relay up underneath the dash and pulled the connector. It stopped for now but I don't know how to remove the box to test it. does it just pry out? also, for now, my blinkers won't work in the meantime while I drive.
I believe you can pry it out be careful prying. I have removed the plastic wood panel If you do a search on how to remove radio and or navigation unit it will give you instructions on pulling the panel that houses the hazard switch. You have to pop the gray plastic trim piece that is on the left hand side of the console
there are clips at the back closest to the seats. Then you unclip the wood plastic panel by un clipping
it and once out you can press the hazard switch out from the back. Good luck
Old 01-06-14, 07:59 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

so you are referring to the actual hazard button switch then right? I guess the box under the dash that was clicking is not the unit I need to replace huh?
Old 01-06-14, 08:03 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

so you are referring to the actual hazard button switch then right? I guess the box under the dash that was clicking is not the unit I need to replace huh?
The box you are referring to is the relay. The switch on the dash activates the relay . Relay seems to work but may be stuck intermittently and or the dash switch may be the culprit.
Old 01-06-14, 08:15 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

I was able to pull the switch out fairly easily, as soon as I disconnected it, the hazards went haywire, flashing rapidly like an machine gun. then just flashed as normal and won't turn off unless I unplug the connector to the relay. Even with the switch completely disconnected, the relay is activated and keeping the lights flashing. Does the relay just pop off too?

Thank you so much for your guidance right now.

Quick Reply: hazards flashing by themselves and low battery?