GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Icon coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-15, 09:54 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

If you guys arent going to use the extra droop then don;t bother with the extended travel, you really have to set up the truck around the extended travel so if its an extra feature you wont use then don't complicate it and get the non extended is my recommendation. you can lift the car with the non extended ones, as 470 SNC said its in the downtravel or droop and you will have to make sure your brake lines are long enough.. aftermarket UCA's etc.. all the little stuff when you get into a more involved lift.
That being said when done right it is an excellent setup and usually worth the extra bit of figuring out various lengths of parts.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-24-15 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-25-15, 06:14 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not very mechanically inclined, so please excuse my ignorance. So if I want to replace the shocks in my car (front and rear) and get rid of the OEM airbag and height adjustment thing altogether - then based on OP's setup, this is what I need to buy:
1. Icon Coilovers for the front
2. Billstean 5100 for the rear

I'd like to maintain stock height for now, but have the ability to lift later down the road.

Can anyone provide the exact item that we need to purchase? A link would be very helpful.

Do I need to purchase the springs separately for the back? If so, which ones would you recommend? I have ~120k miles on the truck so it may not be a bad idea to also replace those at the same time. I'm starting to hear the rear seats ratteling a little bit as I drive over the bumps. I think the coilovers already come with springs wrapped around the shocks so I may only need to buy them for the rear.

Would this solution eliminate the bottoming out/airbag issue in our truck altogether?

Roughly how much would the front and rear parts cost?

What do you think the labor would be to install Icon in the front and Billstean in the back by an idie?
Old 03-25-15, 08:36 AM
GreatHim
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matsui
I'm not very mechanically inclined, so please excuse my ignorance. So if I want to replace the shocks in my car (front and rear) and get rid of the OEM airbag and height adjustment thing altogether - then based on OP's setup, this is what I need to buy:
1. Icon Coilovers for the front
2. Billstean 5100 for the rear
you dont have to use Icon, there are several companies who make coil overs, Icon is just one of them, same with Bilstein. there are plenty of other manufactures that are as good or better.

I'd like to maintain stock height for now, but have the ability to lift later down the road.

Can anyone provide the exact item that we need to purchase? A link would be very helpful.

Do I need to purchase the springs separately for the back? If so, which ones would you recommend? I have ~120k miles on the truck so it may not be a bad idea to also replace those at the same time. I'm starting to hear the rear seats ratteling a little bit as I drive over the bumps. I think the coilovers already come with springs wrapped around the shocks so I may only need to buy them for the rear.
the rear suspension on our GX does not have springs, we have air bags. to do a conversion you would ideally use a spring to replace the air bag. http://www.metaltech4x4.com/p-791-gx...plete-kit.aspx as a rule of thumb, if it works for the 4th gen 4runner 03-09, or FJ Cruiser it will work on the GX. both the 4runner and FJC are 120 based platforms and all interchange chassis and suspension product.

Would this solution eliminate the bottoming out/airbag issue in our truck altogether?
it could depending on how you did it, and what springs/shocks you use in the rear

Roughly how much would the front and rear parts cost?
around $1000 and up for the front coilovers depending on what set up you want, and $2-300 for the rear shocks, and probably around $400 for the rear springs with conversion kit, maybe less.

What do you think the labor would be to install Icon in the front and Billstean in the back by an idie?
id guess at least $500
on so to answer your questions im gonna post them in green inside your quote to make it easy.
Old 05-10-15, 12:17 AM
grego2
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question just to help clear up my mind, too much reading and searching has me confused,
When ordering the front coil over kit, do I order a 2007 -2009 FJ kit or a 2003-2009 4runner kit?

In another thread someone was asking about replacement front strut assy and gave this as a reference which lists both FJ and 4runner as an application

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/p...ner-FJ-Cruiser

In another thread, Ali SC3 and several others have used a 4runner spacer to lift their GX

Is there a difference in mounting or is it a matter of length and weight?
Thanks
Old 05-10-15, 07:12 PM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

they're the same kit, you can order either or but I would just order the 4runner kit to be safe
Old 05-11-15, 11:34 AM
Levin
Driver School Candidate

Its good to know that if/when my airbags go out, I can always take the opportunity and upgrade to the Icons.
Old 05-03-16, 10:48 AM
NinerGX
Driver School Candidate

Default Bilstein 5100's

I am swapping out my stock rear shocks with the 5100's but cannot locate the actual part numbers I will need. Does anyone have those handy? I have not looked close enough yet but are these shocks the same or will I need a right and left. Sorry for the lame questions !

2004 GX470

Last edited by NinerGX; 05-03-16 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Update
Old 05-03-16, 11:18 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NinerGX
I am swapping out my stock rear shocks with the 5100's but cannot locate the actual part numbers I will need. Does anyone have those handy? I have not looked close enough yet but are these shocks the same or will I need a right and left. Sorry for the lame questions !

2004 GX470
I used BIL 33-187174 (BE5-E703-HO) Bilstein 5100 Rear Shock,
Old 05-30-16, 12:38 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Front / rear Bilstein part numbers for the GX:
http://cart.bilsteinus.com/search/mm.../drivetype=4WD

My 5100 install thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ein-5100s.html
Old 07-20-16, 12:15 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

question, I might have missed it but since you got rid of the front factory soft/sport adjustment via coilovers and rear factory soft/sport adjustment via the rear bilsteins, then how were you able to keep the rear airbags happy if you removed the switch on the console? once you remove that switch on the console does the rear air ride still work right.. as in it still self levels just can't go to High or Low?