GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
Old 12-15-14, 03:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

lexus gx470 tire pressure sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-13, 12:01 PM
ddlm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lexus gx470 tire pressure sensor

I just bought four new Micheline tires for my GX470 at Costco, a day later my tire presser indicator light went on. I returned to Costco for them to look at the tire presser to make sure all was in good order and to reset the light. After a half hour of checking they are telling me that three out of the four sensors are not reading, which means I have bad sensors and they will need to be replaced at $50-$75 each! Is this a coincidence or have they damaged my sensors while replacing the tires? Would appreciate any advice.
Old 10-27-13, 12:51 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

No way 3 out of 4 are bad at the same time! I bet you money they damaged the sensors while replacing your tires. I would go to Lexus and have them hook up laptop real quick and check your sensors to see what they say.

Did you look at the sensors when you went back to costco? You could see if they were damaged or not.
Old 10-27-13, 02:31 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

That would be a heck of a coincidence
Old 10-27-13, 08:32 PM
ddlm
Driver School Candidate

At Costco, they were too busy to take one off and look to see if there was damage, asked me to set up an appointment and return. I am going to take it to the local Toyota dealer and have them check it out, that way I will not be mislead by Costco!
Old 10-27-13, 09:43 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ddlm
At Costco, they were too busy to take one off and look to see if there was damage, asked me to set up an appointment and return. I am going to take it to the local Toyota dealer and have them check it out, that way I will not be mislead by Costco!
lol good answer for them, then how in the heck did they figure you have 3 bad sensors? I bet you money they broke them, let us know what you find out
Old 11-08-13, 10:41 PM
ddlm
Driver School Candidate

Strange turn of events, Costco Tire Center District Manager offered to replace the bad sensors free of charge. Took the car in and had sensors tested, including spare, none were found to be responding to sensor detector, all sensors were replaced including the spare, which I paid for. Here is the kicker, an hour later the tire sensor light started blinking again!!!! If all of the sensors are new and there is no doubt about that, I have all five original sensors in my possession, what is the cause?
Old 11-09-13, 06:55 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ddlm
Strange turn of events, Costco Tire Center District Manager offered to replace the bad sensors free of charge. Took the car in and had sensors tested, including spare, none were found to be responding to sensor detector, all sensors were replaced including the spare, which I paid for. Here is the kicker, an hour later the tire sensor light started blinking again!!!! If all of the sensors are new and there is no doubt about that, I have all five original sensors in my possession, what is the cause?
Did you check your tire pressure after they were replaced? Did they set the correct tire pressure when they registered the new sensors? I'm attaching some PDFs you can read over.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
05-635.pdf (59.4 KB, 1833 views)
05-642.pdf (85.9 KB, 1302 views)
05-645.pdf (75.2 KB, 1291 views)
Old 11-09-13, 08:15 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Thats cool of COSTCO to replace them since they probably did mess them up in the first place, minus the spare. Recheck all the tire pressures even the spare, light should be off for sure. Maybe another trip to Lexus is on order, there is a slight chance you got a bad sensor--
Old 11-09-13, 09:52 AM
Crispy3M
Driver

Default It just can't be worth the trouble?

So glad I disabled this TPMS crap
Old 11-13-13, 07:15 PM
varithms
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the spare tire. We had a temperature drop and the spare tire kicked mine on. Best of luck.
Old 11-14-13, 09:01 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

When a TPMS is reprogrammed the sensors are forced to send out a signal that they normally don't have to send out for a long period of time. If your sensor batteries are already low that can cause the batteries to die soon after reprogramming. How many miles are on the vehicle? Have you ever had the light on before? Also if the vehicle computer did not have enough time to re-read the system after they programmed the new sensors the light can come back on. Also what I forgot to mention is that any time your tires have about 20% less pressure then they are supposed to they send out a signal that gives you the warning lamp. Any time that happens it obviously depletes battery life. So when you deflate tires to replace them by no choice of the repair shop battery life is depleted. Then again when they are reprogramming the system's battery life is depleted.

Last edited by lexo98; 11-14-13 at 09:18 PM. Reason: More info
Old 10-20-15, 05:54 PM
UpStarr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by varithms
Check the spare tire. We had a temperature drop and the spare tire kicked mine on. Best of luck.

This is what Im hoping for. Temp changed here recently. I hadn't had time to pull the spare, but in due time
Old 10-23-15, 03:19 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

its easier to just get underneath and check the spare versus pulling the spare. that is likely the culprit.
Old 10-24-15, 02:01 PM
UpStarr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
its easier to just get underneath and check the spare versus pulling the spare. that is likely the culprit.
there is no way to check the pressure on that spare tire unless you drop it down, or is there?

eidt: FIXED!!!! I ended up lowering the spare and checking the pressure. It was 5lbs off. Once filled with 5lbs of air the light went off within the first .25 miles

Last edited by UpStarr; 10-24-15 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-24-15, 02:55 PM
new2005GX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crispy3M
So glad I disabled this TPMS crap
Please tell me how you did it. I tried the method for the 4runner but it puts my ecu into test mode or something.

Stupid flashing light is driving me nuts and no way I am paying to have it fixed.

Quick Reply: lexus gx470 tire pressure sensor