GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Alarm going off

Old 10-24-13, 03:39 AM
GadgetRick
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm going off

I have a 2003 GX and, last night, the alarm kept going off. I've had the truck for about 6 months now and not had this problem before.

I'm wondering if maybe a switch on one of the doors is having a problem. Why? Well, my boys have their baseball stuff in the back (fall ball here in FL) and, if it's pushing against the back door, the light inside will come on under acceleration. Seems like maybe it pushes against the door just enough to make the switch think the door is open.

Last night was the first, "cold," night here in FL we've had since I got it (got down into the mid-50s--I know it's all relative). I wonder if it's causing the door to not push the switch in enough.

I'm totally guessing on this one. I only suspect the good switch because of the problem I had with it and the light coming on before.

If it's not that, I have absolutely no idea what it could be.

Anyone got any ideas?

Sorry if my post makes little sense. Didn't get a lot of sleep last night with it going off. Woke me up at 5:30 this morning.

Thanks.
Old 10-24-13, 06:31 AM
Crispy3M
Driver

Originally Posted by GadgetRick
I have a 2003 GX and, last night, the alarm kept going off. I've had the truck for about 6 months now and not had this problem before.

I'm wondering if maybe a switch on one of the doors is having a problem. Why? Well, my boys have their baseball stuff in the back (fall ball here in FL) and, if it's pushing against the back door, the light inside will come on under acceleration. Seems like maybe it pushes against the door just enough to make the switch think the door is open.

Last night was the first, "cold," night here in FL we've had since I got it (got down into the mid-50s--I know it's all relative). I wonder if it's causing the door to not push the switch in enough.

I'm totally guessing on this one. I only suspect the good switch because of the problem I had with it and the light coming on before.

If it's not that, I have absolutely no idea what it could be.

Anyone got any ideas?

Sorry if my post makes little sense. Didn't get a lot of sleep last night with it going off. Woke me up at 5:30 this morning.

Thanks.
There is a very good chance that you are 100% correct.

Check the door switch on the back door. Many of us have had the same problem and have replaced the rear switch or modified it slightly to compensate. Some have found their switch to be loose?

There is a rubber bumper on the door that pushes against the door switch on the frame when closed. For a quick fix, you can just apply a small rubber bumper to the existing door bumper and you should be good to go.

Let us know how you make out.

Cheers!
Old 10-24-13, 06:53 AM
GadgetRick
Driver

Originally Posted by Crispy3M
There is a very good chance that you are 100% correct.

Check the door switch on the back door. Many of us have had the same problem and have replaced the rear switch or modified it slightly to compensate. Some have found their switch to be loose?

There is a rubber bumper on the door that pushes against the door switch on the frame when closed. For a quick fix, you can just apply a small rubber bumper to the existing door bumper and you should be good to go.

Let us know how you make out.

Cheers!
Thanks.

I'm pretty convinced this is the problem. When I went out this morning to take the boys to school, I went to back out and the light came on and the warning light in the dash telling me a door was open. I slammed the rear door and it was ok. Alarm didn't go off while I was at the gym.

Going to have to try the rubber bumper trick and then maybe replace the switch.

Thanks.