GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

DVD Overide to watch Movies Driving?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-03, 01:08 PM
VizStorm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blah

knicksfan-"Lets face reality - no way anyone can drive and watch a movie - its impossible."

I drove from Louisiana to Utah watching dvd's the whole way and can't travel without it. I also drove back from Utah to Louisiana watching the entire second season of the Sopranos.

Although, I know there are a lot of klutz's out there that can't focus on more than one thing at a time (they are usually the ones that have wrecks doing nothing but driving).

Its not difficult, its not like you stare at the screen the whole time, you listen and glance. No different than having a passenger that is talking to you... you listen, and glance.
Old 08-18-03, 05:23 AM
mogulbumm
Rookie

Default Re: blah

Originally posted by VizStorm
knicksfan-"Lets face reality - no way anyone can drive and watch a movie - its impossible."

I drove from Louisiana to Utah watching dvd's the whole way and can't travel without it. I also drove back from Utah to Louisiana watching the entire second season of the Sopranos.

Although, I know there are a lot of klutz's out there that can't focus on more than one thing at a time (they are usually the ones that have wrecks doing nothing but driving).

Its not difficult, its not like you stare at the screen the whole time, you listen and glance. No different than having a passenger that is talking to you... you listen, and glance.
I posted the pics of this mod back in this post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=87880

I still feel the same way about the mod though. IT IS NOT FOR THE DRIVER. I find myself very capable on the road, but there is no way in hell that I would throw in a DVD if I was the only one in the car. Sorry VizStorm, but that is just not smart. I fully disagree with you about the klutz's causing accidents. Most of them thought they were perfectly capable of eating or talking on the cell phone while driving.

All it takes is somebody in front of you to hit the brake pedal while you "glance" down at the screen. You can't tell me that SOMETHING during a DVD won't catch your attention and have you look. All it takes is that one split second and you could be responsible for the deaths of others.

You may think that this is not a distraction, but I urge you to reconsider.
Old 08-18-03, 11:30 AM
VizStorm
Driver School Candidate

well, we all have our opinions. There are many distractions in a car... stereo, passenger, kids, cell phone, a movie playing in the car (even if the screen is in the rear) ect... and there are plenty more outside the car. Although, yea, a movie playing on the front screen is another distraction amoung this list, but any one of them could cause an accident.

Your view is: 'you can get killed watching a dvd in your car!'
So, to quote an Al Pacino character: "you can get killed walking your doggy!"
Old 08-18-03, 11:34 AM
VizStorm
Driver School Candidate

mogulbumm- I meant to say thanks for those detailed instructions about how to do it. So, thanks for the link to it.
Old 08-18-03, 04:14 PM
mogulbumm
Rookie

Originally posted by VizStorm
well, we all have our opinions. There are many distractions in a car... stereo, passenger, kids, cell phone, a movie playing in the car (even if the screen is in the rear) ect... and there are plenty more outside the car. Although, yea, a movie playing on the front screen is another distraction amoung this list, but any one of them could cause an accident.

If there was a way to filter out the responsible drivers and send only them the instructions, I would have certainly done so. You are correct that there are many distractions in a car, but the fewer there are to the driver the less the chance of an accident.

I, for one, am responsible enough with the mod to use it for the intended purpose... to allow my wife to control the DVD for a child riding in the rear who is incapable of doing so. Should a passenger wish to watch a DVD as well, the option is there. As far as my posting of the instructions, you could just as easily put a portable DVD unit on your dash if it was intended for driver viewing.

I am generally among the last to pass judgment on intended use, especially whereas I was flamed for posting the directions. I am, however, grateful that I drive in a different part of the country than you do. Drive safely... if not for your own good, than for that of others.
Old 08-18-03, 10:11 PM
mitsu
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by mogulbumm

to allow my wife to control the DVD for a child riding in the rear who is incapable of doing so.

Quick question,,,,,Is there a way to turn on the rear screen via the front controls or is the rear remote control the only way to turn the rear screen on?

Last edited by mitsu; 08-18-03 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-19-03, 05:46 AM
mogulbumm
Rookie

Default For VizStorm

http://www.adn.com/alaska/story/3320875p-3351757c.html
Old 08-19-03, 07:03 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: mitsu

Originally posted by mitsu
Quick question,,,,,Is there a way to turn on the rear screen via the front controls or is the rear remote control the only way to turn the rear screen on?
I think using the remote is the only way to turn on the rear screen. Unless you eject the dvd and insert it back in then the rear screen will be turn on automatically.
Old 08-19-03, 02:32 PM
mitsu
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: RE: mitsu

Originally posted by super_cjc
I think using the remote is the only way to turn on the rear screen. Unless you eject the dvd and insert it back in then the rear screen will be turn on automatically.

Thanks super_cjc, I am really dissapointed in this. It is such a pain in the rear to fiddle with the remote to turn on the rear screen. I wish it could just be done from the front. Another thing that is quite annoying is that stupid message that comes on the screen telling you how to access the on screen controls. I wish it would just time out and go away rather than staying there and waiting for you to hit the OK.
Old 02-07-05, 08:43 PM
noname3
Driver School Candidate

Default Are you stupid?!

Originally Posted by looknow12
A place called XXXXXXXX in Alexandria, VA is doing it for my car. They are connecting it to the front Nav system via a cable that Lexus makes. Then they are resetting the necessary grounds that will simulate park and parking brake.

I will send pictures when I get them. :-)

What kind of moron posts the name of an aftermarket shop that did him this sort of favor? (I have XXXed out the name in the copy of your post above).
I'm sure the guy(s) that helped you are having second thoughts now and will certainly be hesitant when the rest of us, who live in their service area, want a similar favor. It would have been sufficient information for this forum, and harmless to them, if you had simply indicated that you had luck getting your aftermarket dealer to do you a favor and that others may want to try this approach.
Old 02-08-05, 04:35 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by noname3
What kind of moron posts the name of an aftermarket shop that did him this sort of favor? (I have XXXed out the name in the copy of your post above).
I'm sure the guy(s) that helped you are having second thoughts now and will certainly be hesitant when the rest of us, who live in their service area, want a similar favor. It would have been sufficient information for this forum, and harmless to them, if you had simply indicated that you had luck getting your aftermarket dealer to do you a favor and that others may want to try this approach.
I guess you are referring to me. I'm the moron you are speaking off. Ohh, and btw it is Car Spa of Alexandria. BTW. A mod of using an aftermarket DVD Player connecting it to the fron Nav screen never did work.

This entire post is dedicated to how to perform this mod with the factory installed Rear DVD System. Certainly you could have read that. But then again this appears to be your first time here.

Welcome to ClubLexus. Thanks for your positive constructive comments. It appears you will will be contributing a lot.

Last edited by looknow12; 02-08-05 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Added more
Old 02-08-05, 06:31 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by looknow12

BTW. A mod of using an aftermarket DVD Player connecting it to the front Nav screen never did work.
Hi Looknow.....

I don't have an OEM DVD player either, as I wanted Headrest Monitors. However, my installer was able to get a picture on the Nav Screen also, by using a module by NAV-TV.

~ Cap
Old 02-09-05, 05:31 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VizStorm

Viz - I think his REAL point was that YOU could "very easily" KILL someone else due to being "distracted" (even momentarily) by your irresponsible act of watching a DVD while driving. Did you know that your insurance comany could (and probably would) cancel your insurance if they "discovered" your actions. Did you know that in October 2004, a young girl's family received a $2 million award because the girl was killed by a driver using a cell phone. The familiay also filed (and won) a separate suit because cell records showed that the driver was talking to a client at the time of the (term used loosely here) accident". Hmmm, you got $2mil on you bub? Cause your insurance company CERTAINLY does not cover you in such an occurance when you do these types of illegal activities. I personally would like to see the feature enabled so that my wife (riding up front) could watch while I drove (Thus the logic for me being in here).

Next time you do something.... Think first
Old 02-09-05, 06:23 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Capirato
Hi Looknow.....

I don't have an OEM DVD player either, as I wanted Headrest Monitors. However, my installer was able to get a picture on the Nav Screen also, by using a module by NAV-TV.

~ Cap
Right. Now that is possible. When this thread was created, we researched it and it wasn't possible. Cool though.
Old 02-09-05, 06:25 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bunka
Viz - I think his REAL point was that YOU could "very easily" KILL someone else due to being "distracted" (even momentarily) by your irresponsible act of watching a DVD while driving. Did you know that your insurance comany could (and probably would) cancel your insurance if they "discovered" your actions. Did you know that in October 2004, a young girl's family received a $2 million award because the girl was killed by a driver using a cell phone. The familiay also filed (and won) a separate suit because cell records showed that the driver was talking to a client at the time of the (term used loosely here) accident". Hmmm, you got $2mil on you bub? Cause your insurance company CERTAINLY does not cover you in such an occurance when you do these types of illegal activities. I personally would like to see the feature enabled so that my wife (riding up front) could watch while I drove (Thus the logic for me being in here).

Next time you do something.... Think first
I believe operating your cell phone is extremely more dangerous than an image in the Nav Screen. With a cell phone you really need to concentrate to dial numbers, look up phone book entires, etc.

Cell phones require your attention.

Quick Reply: DVD Overide to watch Movies Driving?