GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

DVD Overide to watch Movies Driving?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-03, 01:36 PM
ragpaoa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I plan on using a switch

Originally posted by Squiggy
so with a flip of the switch, it's back the way it was.
Duh
Gotta find a nice, wood-panelled switch somewheres ...
Old 02-19-03, 07:59 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A place called Car Spa in Alexandria, VA is doing it for my car. They are connecting it to the front Nav system via a cable that Lexus makes. Then they are resetting the necessary grounds that will simulate park and parking brake.

I will send pictures when I get them. :-)
Old 02-19-03, 10:06 PM
sclja
Driver School Candidate

If you can't understand the task then it probably should be left to an experienced car audio tech. I will re-state the process. The violet red wire(speed pulse ) needs to get interupted with one side of a double pole double throw switch at the same time The lt green wire needs to get interrupted by the other side of the double pole switch and the side of the light green wire going towards the screen needs to get grounded. I sorry but I am not posting a pic of this to thgis site.

Scott
Old 02-20-03, 04:48 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds a bit attitudy. Is attitudy a word, or did I just make it up? Please call Websters :-)
Old 02-20-03, 07:35 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Thoughts

Originally posted by looknow12
Sounds a bit attitudy. Is attitudy a word, or did I just make it up? Please call Websters :-)
First off I can understand sclja's reluctance to post pics, but you know what Scott you already put it out there...if someone does this and then gets into an accident or worse shorts something out in their car, your name will unfortunately be associated with it.

It is never a good idea to give advice on how to defeat an OBVIOUS safety feature...yeah that's right let the flaming begin boys...but you know what it's no different than the people reading the paper or talking on a cell phone, or putting on make-up etc while driving.

I'll only say this once we live in a very litigious society, and IMHO it is a VERY bad idea to suggest ways, on a forum that can be viewed by the general public, to defeat safety measures put in place by a vehicle manufacturer, or even an aftermarket audio/video manufacturer.
Old 02-20-03, 07:43 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

All of this may be very true. However this person was providing help, but with quite the attitude. Almost as if to indicate that the reader was not intelligent. That's only my opinion.
Old 02-20-03, 09:04 PM
sclja
Driver School Candidate

I apologize for my short temper as I am very busy and have been working 14 hour days. I got a little testy and I now realize it.

scott
Old 02-21-03, 01:51 PM
slavik
Driver School Candidate

Default Speed Pulse Wire

Speed Pulse is indeed needed by the Navigation system.

The best way to find out is to go through the tunnel where no GPS reception is available and see if there is a smooth motion of the vehicle on the screen.

GPS is needed to get an absolute position of the car, on the other hand built in compass and speed pulse in combo are used to determine a relative position of the car to the last known absolution position. Speed pulse and compass are used to display a smooth motion of the vehicle if GPS is not available or has poor reception.

If there are two separate wires going to
Monitor and second Speed Pulse wire going to Navigation System.
the operation of Nav System will be unaffected by disabling the wire going to the Monitor.

I had to install Nav system into my RX300 myself and I did notice the difference between speed pulse and no speed pulse setups.
Old 02-23-03, 01:26 AM
sclja
Driver School Candidate

There are two seperate wires so the navigation is unaffected by the mod.

Scott

Last edited by sclja; 02-26-03 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-26-03, 05:11 PM
szerby
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know the type of connector on the back of the unit where these wires are? It like to find the connectors and wire it without cutting any wires.
Old 02-26-03, 09:45 PM
sclja
Driver School Candidate

Good luck. Finding both the male and the female connectors will be close to impossible.

Scott
Old 02-27-03, 07:26 AM
szerby
Driver School Candidate

Is there a picture I could use to start a search? How many wires does it have to start with?
Old 05-08-03, 06:05 AM
lexusnc
Driver

I just completed the Mod as specified by sclja, using a double pole double throw switch in the blank next to the "Second Start" switch. This works great!!!!!!!! I just wanted to comment why I did this mod to all those who have ridiculed the posting of this mod to bypass a saftey feature. Since I have two young children who watch DVD's all the time, and a wife who sits in the the front seat while we are driving, it has made life much better for us in that my wife can now put in another DVD, que it up past the menue and get it playing all from the front seat. She also now has full control of the NAV system even while we are in motion. I do not watch movies while I am driving, that would be idiotic and I believe anyone who would deserves what they get. Basically what I am trying to say is the mod has benifits beyond watching a movie while driving down the road and that is why I am very thankful to sclja for his post!!!!!!!!
Old 05-08-03, 06:59 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lexusnc
I just completed the Mod as specified by sclja, using a double pole double throw switch in the blank next to the "Second Start" switch. This works great!!!!!!!! I just wanted to comment why I did this mod to all those who have ridiculed the posting of this mod to bypass a saftey feature. Since I have two young children who watch DVD's all the time, and a wife who sits in the the front seat while we are driving, it has made life much better for us in that my wife can now put in another DVD, que it up past the menue and get it playing all from the front seat. She also now has full control of the NAV system even while we are in motion. I do not watch movies while I am driving, that would be idiotic and I believe anyone who would deserves what they get. Basically what I am trying to say is the mod has benifits beyond watching a movie while driving down the road and that is why I am very thankful to sclja for his post!!!!!!!!
What do you mean when you say "Another DVD in context to this sentence? "for us in that my wife can now put in another DVD"

Are you simply referring to another DVD for the kids your wife can get it started and then the kids can begin watching, or are you hinting your wife can watch "another DVD" while the kids watch something else?

This is certainly possible with another DVD player, but I wasn't sure if you went to these lengths. Also, are you using the factory DVD?
Old 05-08-03, 07:20 AM
lexusnc
Driver

When I refer to another DVD, I mean that after one has finished, my wife can eject that one and put in a new one and get it started. I am using the factory NAV and DVD RSES, so unfortunately it is the same DVD on both screens. I hope this is a little clearer, let me know….

Quick Reply: DVD Overide to watch Movies Driving?