GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Sport Package

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-13, 09:15 PM
Coppa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Package

Hello all. I'm thinking of selling my 2005 GX470 with the Sport Package. Does anyone know how "rare" the sport package is and if it adds any value? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-13, 04:02 AM
LexTrip
Driver School Candidate

No answers here (I am a noob) but I first question would be how do you know if you have the sport package?
Old 10-08-13, 05:58 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Coppa
Hello all. I'm thinking of selling my 2005 GX470 with the Sport Package. Does anyone know how "rare" the sport package is and if it adds any value? Thanks in advance.
Obviously having the sports package w/ KDSS should add some value, how much is up to whoever is buying it. If it were my GX I'd start off pricing it $2K more than a standard '05 GX and negotiate from there.

Good luck if you decide to sell.

Originally Posted by LexTrip
No answers here (I am a noob) but I first question would be how do you know if you have the sport package?
Huge front / rear swaybars, KDSS light on the gauge cluster, dark wood grain trim and smoked tail lights (I think headlight lenses too). I'm probably missing a few other options but that's all I can remember.
Old 10-08-13, 11:17 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Does the "Sport" trim automatically include KDSS? Could you get KDSS on a non-sport GX?
Old 10-08-13, 01:13 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IanB2
Does the "Sport" trim automatically include KDSS?
Yes.

Originally Posted by IanB2
Could you get KDSS on a non-sport GX?
Yes you can add KDSS as a stand alone option without the Sports package. Many will say no but that's not true. There's a few members here that have a '05+ and only added KDSS without the sports package.

http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/2005/2005GXspecs.pdf
(look on page 3 under options; to switch to different years just change the year in the link)

Last edited by RCsGX; 11-21-13 at 01:36 PM. Reason: link added
Old 10-08-13, 07:35 PM
Sixer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Obviously having the sports package w/ KDSS should add some value, how much is up to whoever is buying it. If it were my GX I'd start off pricing it $2K more than a standard '05 GX and negotiate from there.

Huge front / rear swaybars, KDSS light on the gauge cluster, dark wood grain trim and smoked tail lights (I think headlight lenses too). I'm probably missing a few other options but that's all I can remember.
Add smoked fogs, darker gunmetal wheels and graphite colored roof rails.

I picked up my '05 sport a little over a month ago with 55k on it for $21k in pristine condition with all maint records.
Old 11-20-13, 09:29 AM
GX470Fan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by RCsGX

Yes, the Sports Package was almost an extra $2,300 on my 2007 GX. They are fairly rare, especially if they have all the other bells and whistles. Mine has everything except the rear entertainment package. So the retail cost in '07 of my GX was just North of 55k (the "Base" GX was about $46k). So if you have a Sports Package Model, definitely ask at least $2k+ more for it when you're selling it.
Old 11-20-13, 11:12 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I disagree. Ask away by all means, but my bet is the vast majority of buyers are going to be ignorant to the sports pkg and therefore won't value it. Furthermore, online car pricing sites consistently show the value of options when used are significantly less than when new - the price when new just doesn't hold in the used market and usually drop dramatically. I also conclude those that want the Sport / KDSS pkg are likely few and far between, as evidenced by the comparatively small sales numbers when new.

Again, ask away! You can't get what you don't as for and I could be dead wrong! I hope for your pocket book's sake that I'm wrong. Good luck and report back.
Old 11-20-13, 11:36 AM
GX470Fan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
I disagree. Ask away by all means, but my bet is the vast majority of buyers are going to be ignorant to the sports pkg and therefore won't value it. Furthermore, online car pricing sites consistently show the value of options when used are significantly less than when new - the price when new just doesn't hold in the used market and usually drop dramatically. I also conclude those that want the Sport / KDSS pkg are likely few and far between, as evidenced by the comparatively small sales numbers when new.

Again, ask away! You can't get what you don't as for and I could be dead wrong! I hope for your pocket book's sake that I'm wrong. Good luck and report back.
I agree and disagree with you. I think you're correct when you say that MOST buyers will be fairly ignorant of the Sports Package, what it is and what it means. However, the fact is that is WAS a $2k plus option and does make the GX a bit unique. What I do when selling vehicles that are "rare" is try and "sell" or "educate" the potential buyers on why it is unique and worth more money. For instance, where I live in the mountains of Colorado, buyers actually WILL likely be doing SOME off-roading. The KDSS is VERY nice to have in those situations. I wish I had had it on my old 4Runner. But when I was buying it, pre-owned, I couldn't find a Limited that had that option on it. If I had, and the owner actually KNEW what they had, I would gladly have "paid up" for it. If it had had it and they DIDN'T know what they had, it would have been a steal. When (if) I ever sell my beloved GX I will certainly TRY and get more money for it because of the Sports Package, Navigation, ML Sound System, Third Row Seats/Air, Clear Bra all around, Factory Tint all around and Chrome Exhaust Tip on it. Because of (mainly) those items, my GX was almost $10k more NEW than the "Base Model" and I think that will make it worth substantially more when (if) I ever decide to sell it. I agree that this seller won't get "full retail value" on selling it "pre-owned", but I do think that there is definitely some "extra-value" he can (and should be able to) capture. My two cents.

Last edited by GX470Fan; 11-20-13 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Adding more words.
Old 11-20-13, 12:35 PM
Fluid
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO options on preowned cars are like houses - it helps to differentiate/sell but added value is very little for 95% of buyers. That custom BBQ/island/ramada in the backyard that cost $20k+ doesn't add much value over the other homes ... literally just a few thousand (< 50%). There are always a select few people who will seek them out (i.e. I loved the custom sport court on a home I saw and would pay for it), that just requires some patience.
Old 11-21-13, 09:34 AM
GX470Fan
Driver School Candidate

Default I Agree with You

Originally Posted by Fluid
IMO options on preowned cars are like houses - it helps to differentiate/sell but added value is very little for 95% of buyers. That custom BBQ/island/ramada in the backyard that cost $20k+ doesn't add much value over the other homes ... literally just a few thousand (< 50%). There are always a select few people who will seek them out (i.e. I loved the custom sport court on a home I saw and would pay for it), that just requires some patience.
I agree with you on that. It's really up to the seller to "sell" the added value of "extras" on a pre-owned vehicle (or house). I was pretty lucky when I bought my 2007 GX. The Lexus Dealership did NOT, IMO, really value the "extra" $10k+ of options on my GX. I certainly didn't ask why, but I feel like I got a VERY fair price when buying it. Plus they put all new brakes on it, replaced/repaired the timing belt and water pump and put new Cooper tires on it. Pretty good deal, all in. All that said, when (if) I ever decide to sell my beloved GX, I will CERTAINLY try (as I've done successfully in the past) and get more for it die to $10k+ of options on it. Like I've said, I live in the mountains of Colorado and things like the KDSS actually do make a difference to buyers. As does the ML Sound System and Factory tint all around. Bottom line, IMO, it's up to the seller to "sell and educate" the next buyer as to the "added value" of the options (like the Sports Package) on the GX. A well-written ad I the paper has always worked well for me. Something that get the phone ringing to start a conversation. My two cents.
Old 11-21-13, 12:57 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Edmunds pegs the value of a '05 Sport Pkg at $200-500. Educate all you want, but that's a strong indicator of market value. So, is that how much you're suggesting the Sport Pkg is worth?

I think most buyers are indeed uneducated and naively just want leather and the big stereo for most cars (not limited to a GX comment here), so after those items are checked off their list they're looking for the best price. With respect to the GX specfically, the majority of GX's have those plus the 3rd row / air, tint, tip, etc. Stripper GX's just aren't common meaning all of us selling non-Sport GX's are essentially competing against equally optioned GX's where color, condition and mileage are king. The Sport Pkg is about the only rare option on a GX and as the OP asked, the primary question is just how much more is his / her GX worth because of the Sport Pkg...

Since autotrader.com gives us asking price and not the final sales price, we shouldn't look to it. Sold listing on eBay Motors would be helpul if someone wanted to do a quickie search.

>>>>>>

I think I know what you mean about the mountains in CO from first-hand experience. I've been happily scooting up and down Hwy 34 and 36 in CO for a couple of years. No surprise (and I know you're not implying that it ever will), but my GX can't hold a candle to my GS. If raising the psi a hair makes it a bit better, then it's still far from sporty. Furthermore, I have one more thought about the modest handling improvement from raising the tires' psi. Isn't that what the stability control system is for - ensuring the truck predictably and safely handles emergency inputs?

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 11-21-13 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-21-13, 01:44 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
I think most buyers are indeed uneducated and naively just want leather and the big stereo for most cars (not limited to a GX comment here), so after those items are checked off their list they're looking for the best price. With respect to the GX specfically, the majority of GX's have those plus the 3rd row / air, tint, tip, etc. Stripper GX's just aren't commonm meaning all of us selling non-Sport GX's are essentially competing against equally optioned GX's where color, condition and mileage are king. The Sport Pkg is about the only rare option on a GX and as the OP asked, the primary question is just how much more is his / her GX worth because of the Sport Pkg...

Since autotrader.com gives us asking price and not the final sales price, we shouldn't look to it. Sold listing on eBay Motors would be helpul if someone wanted to do a quickie search.

Before I bought my GX I found 3 Sport package GXs. Two were at my local Lexus dealer and one was a private seller. All were around the same asking price as the same year non-sport GXs. If it wasn't for the fact that you have a limited choice in colors for the sports package I probably would've bought one but they don't come in blizzard pearl so .

Look at how many "do I have KDSS" threads there are. Most have no clue about KDSS and some are surprised to find out after they bought their GX that they have it.
Old 11-25-13, 07:14 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

I thought we were having a nice conversation... then I looked around to find I was alone with the crickets.
Old 11-25-13, 07:52 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

LOL. good one johnny

Quick Reply: Sport Package