GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Mirror switches and dash lights control

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-13, 05:31 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Mirror switches and dash lights control

I have noticed that all of my switches light up at night with a greenish glow. The only ones that don't are the mirror control switches and the dash light control bright and dim switch. Its hard to see these switches at night because its in dark side to the left of the steering wheel . The 120 volt switch will light up when you turn it on but there is no back light to any of the switches I mentioned . If they are supposed to light up then my truck needs to have the bulbs replaced.. If they are not supposed to light then I will look no further
Old 09-30-13, 04:06 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrblister
I have noticed that all of my switches light up at night with a greenish glow. The only ones that don't are the mirror control switches and the dash light control bright and dim switch. Its hard to see these switches at night because its in dark side to the left of the steering wheel . The 120 volt switch will light up when you turn it on but there is no back light to any of the switches I mentioned . If they are supposed to light up then my truck needs to have the bulbs replaced.. If they are not supposed to light then I will look no further
I posted a simple question that I could not find any answers to in the owners manual or doing a search. I see there have been 33 views and not a single person can verify or enlighten the existence of the back light of any of the switches mention. I guess I will have to spend $ 340.00 for a set of shop manuals
Old 09-30-13, 04:16 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

I posted a simple question that I could not find any answers to in the owners manual or doing a search. I see there have been 33 views and not a single person can verify or enlighten the existence of the back light of any of the switches mention. I guess I will have to spend $ 340.00 for a set of shop manuals
MrB, you need to understand many people like me who read your post don't have a gx and can't answer you (as well as search engines like google and bing that crawl and index the forum)

It's been less than 12 hours since you posted and your complaint. This forum doesn't move that fast and I'd suggest a bit of patience
Old 09-30-13, 04:22 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Searched mirror backlit
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...mmer-dial.html
Old 09-30-13, 04:38 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
MrB, you need to understand many people like me who read your post don't have a gx and can't answer you (as well as search engines like google and bing that crawl and index the forum)

It's been less than 12 hours since you posted and your complaint. This forum doesn't move that fast and I'd suggest a bit of patience
I appreciate your comments but It was not meant to be a complaint.I just figured people reading the forum would have a gx470. I will be more patient in the future

There are many owners of 2004 gx470 here I just was hoping for an answer .The link you provided was helpful and I thank you. I just need to find out I can replace the bulb in my dash mirror switches . Do the switches come out separately or does the whole panel have to be removed. I will wait for any answers
that are forthcoming
Old 09-30-13, 06:02 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not everybody spends all their time on the forum. I think purchasing the shop manuals might be a good thing for you.
Old 09-30-13, 06:43 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

To answer your questions:
- The mirror arrows (up, down, left, right) do light up.
- The word "Mirror" as well as the letters "L" and "R" do not light up.

The dimmer switch does not light up.

I guess I will have to spend $ 340.00 for a set of shop manuals
If you have time to kill and don't mind a PDF manual, pay $15 for a 2 days subscription below and download the manual. It's the same as the print version.
https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo....toyota.com%2F
Old 09-30-13, 01:25 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RCsGX
To answer your questions:
- The mirror arrows (up, down, left, right) do light up.
- The word "Mirror" as well as the letters "L" and "R" do not light up.

The dimmer switch does not light up.

If you have time to kill and don't mind a PDF manual, pay $15 for a 2 days subscription below and download the manual. It's the same as the print version.
https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo....toyota.com%2F

Thanks for your response

I have the required bulb to replace . Just need to know does the mirror adjustment switch come out from the front by itself or do you need to press out the entire switch module .
Old 09-30-13, 01:44 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Thanks for your response

I have the required bulb to replace . Just need to know does the mirror adjustment switch come out from the front by itself or do you need to press out the entire switch module .
Remove the fuse cover. Reach up from behind and pop the 115V button out. Once that's out you'll have room to reach higher to pop the mirror switch out from behind.

Old 09-30-13, 01:50 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Remove the fuse cover. Reach up from behind and pop the 115V button out. Once that's out you'll have room to reach higher to pop the mirror switch out from behind.

Thanks again I just love the forum . Its at its best when we all share . Most appreciated
Old 09-30-13, 02:00 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Thanks again I just love the forum . Its at its best when we all share . Most appreciated
I agree. Glad I could help!
Old 09-30-13, 05:54 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

I agree. Glad I could help!

So I had previously bought bulbs from sewell for the height control switches and the seat heater switches. I used one in the mirror control switch it does fit but its not bright enough it looked different from the bulb i took out. Sure enough I went on line to sewell and the bulb I need is a different one then i have so i had to order one. The bulb I put in is just not bright enough.
Old 09-30-13, 06:24 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

So I had previously bought bulbs from sewell for the height control switches and the seat heater switches. I used one in the mirror control switch it does fit but its not bright enough it looked different from the bulb i took out. Sure enough I went on line to sewell and the bulb I need is a different one then i have so i had to order one. The bulb I put in is just not bright enough.
I hate when stuff like that happens, especially when shipping is $10+.

I guess you'll either have to buy local from Toyota / Lexus or buy some more things from Sewell to justify the high shipping cost for just a bulb. If you need the cupholder insert Sewell has the best price, $21.00. I see people still buying them for $50-$75 on eBay, USED!!

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2005/4969.html
Old 09-30-13, 07:07 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

I hate when stuff like that happens, especially when shipping is $10+.

I guess you'll either have to buy local from Toyota / Lexus or buy some more things from Sewell to justify the high shipping cost for just a bulb. If you need the cupholder insert Sewell has the best price, $21.00. I see people still buying them for $50-$75 on eBay, USED!!

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2005/4969.html
I did order other things from sewell to defray the shipping cost. As it happens I have the cup holder center piece but it has a broken piece. I did see some fool selling them used for 49.00 . Do you think people really pay that for a part.
Old 09-30-13, 07:45 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I did order other things from sewell to defray the shipping cost. As it happens I have the cup holder center piece but it has a broken piece. I did see some fool selling them used for 49.00 . Do you think people really pay that for a part.
Yeah, people buy them used everyday for that much. I've seen people on eBay pay $70+ for used ones!?? I have 2 saved in my eBay now that sold a couple of months ago...I like to save them to see how much they go for. One sold for $47.00 the other sold for $35.50, both of them were used too. Here's a used one right now w/ 2 bids going for $45.00.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Land-Cruiser-Lexus-LX470-Lexus-GX-470-Cup-Holder-/161116294577?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2583478db1&vxp=mtr
I told my wife maybe I need to stock up on these and sell them on eBay. If used are going for that much I know I would easily get $50 a pop for a brand new one!

Many years ago when I had a 300ZX I would buy foglights from my local Nissan dealer $30 a piece, minimum 10 pieces at a time. I was selling them for $100 per side, $150 for a pair all day long. I couldn't keep them in stock! It's amazing what some people will pay that aren't savvy when it comes to parts. Case in point, our GX cup dividers.