GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Height control switch illuminated?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-13, 10:56 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocks
There's a DIY on how to open/replace these bulbs...use the Search feature.
I have searched but I am not getting the right tag line I guess. I know to always try and search for what your looking for. I just saw in this thread info on what I was looking for but needed more clarity on the how. I know it gets annoying when people just ask for help and expect everyone else to do the research for them. I try not to abuse this my self I will keep searching
Old 09-17-13, 10:57 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

[QUOTE=mrblister;8144566]Forgive my ignorance When you say cover comes off first are you referring to the console cover that the switch sits on top of or do you mean pry the cover of the actual switch off then remove switch from console panel in place

the cover for the switch...two pieces, first the cover that has all markings on it, then the switch, and the the switch itself seperates into two pieces.
Old 09-17-13, 10:58 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
I have searched but I am not getting the right tag line I guess. I know to always try and search for what your looking for. I just saw in this thread info on what I was looking for but needed more clarity on the how. I know it gets annoying when people just ask for help and expect everyone else to do the research for them. I try not to abuse this my self I will keep searching
There's tons of suspension threads here too. I guess a lot of people didn't get the "search" memo. Don't sweat it. This may help you out:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...placement.html
Old 09-17-13, 11:14 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RCsGX
There's tons of suspension threads here too. I guess a lot of people didn't get the "search" memo. Don't sweat it. This may help you out:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...placement.html
Thank You

The DIY is for the seat heater switch. I guess I have to pry the cover off of the height control module then remove the switch. Must be similar in how to remove like seat heater switch
Old 09-17-13, 11:26 AM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
I'm telling you buy a bag of warm white LEDs online. You can buy a lot for $5-$10, easily enough to outfit all of you switches and have extra to sell off to other GX owners.

I have a lot of loose LEDs but I'm not sure if I have warm white. When I get home later I'll see what I can find. If I have some I'll do the swap to show you.

RCsGX, Can you specify what type of LEDs we're looking for? The color is easy to understand, but they also have different voltage requirements, lumens, etc. The guy at RadioShack has a pretty long list of LED options.
Old 09-17-13, 11:31 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Thank You

The DIY is for the seat heater switch. I guess I have to pry the cover off of the height control module then remove the switch. Must be similar in how to remove like seat heater switch
JUST be careful whenyou pull the s witch apart, lots of small pieces, want to make sure you put them back in the right place.
Old 09-17-13, 12:00 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Thank You

Yeah different switch, pretty much the same way to disassemble.

Originally Posted by danmm7
RCsGX, Can you specify what type of LEDs we're looking for? The color is easy to understand, but they also have different voltage requirements, lumens, etc. The guy at RadioShack has a pretty long list of LED options.
I forgot you need to add a resistor if it's a filament bulb. I've done so many interior LED swaps I get my vehicles mixed up. I had a MDX that had LEDs in their switches already so it was a matter of just swapping LEDs. My Tundra I needed to use 1/4w resistors w/ the 5mm LEDs.

I honestly don't remember the LED specs that I used. I know I used 470ohm 1/4w resistors though.
Old 09-17-13, 12:37 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointing

There's a DIY on how to open/replace these bulbs...use the Search feature.

Bravo to RCsGX for providing a helpful link!

Last edited by Crispy3M; 09-17-13 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-17-13, 02:16 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crispy3M

Bravo to RCsGX!
Bravo!

Interesting how the same folks have trouble "searching"?
Old 09-17-13, 03:54 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Default "Same folks keep asking instead of searching "

Bravo!

Interesting how the same folks have trouble "searching"?
I am assuming "Same folks keep asking instead of searching " comment was meant for me . If it was then I must say that in 7 years on this forum and mostly in the sc430 forum I have always used the search feature when possible. Some times when you get caught up in the dialog of a thread it easy to ask for help since the discussion is already an active on going thread. I have just started to use the GX470 forum since I made my purchase of the 2004 truck two months ago so I am trying to get up to speed. I have always been forth coming and helpful to any one in any of the discussion forums that I can offer assistance to. I have posted pictures and DIY write ups in the sc430 forum. I would add that words hurt especially when there was no provocation. If on the other hand this comment was meant for someone else other then me I apologize for that. It just seems that it was directed at me. I have posted some 1200 posts. I have a thick skin but some times words do hurt.I want to feel welcome in this group. When I first bought the truck I introduced my self and did have some early on questions . The many that responded to me I was very appreciative of there help. I am not looking for any response to what I have written here nor do I want to waste this forums time on nonsense. It ends here.

Respectfully

Buddy
Old 09-17-13, 04:46 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am assuming "Same folks keep asking instead of searching " comment was meant for me . If it was then I must say that in 7 years on this forum and mostly in the sc430 forum I have always used the search feature when possible. Some times when you get caught up in the dialog of a thread it easy to ask for help since the discussion is already an active on going thread. I have just started to use the GX470 forum since I made my purchase of the 2004 truck two months ago so I am trying to get up to speed. I have always been forth coming and helpful to any one in any of the discussion forums that I can offer assistance to. I have posted pictures and DIY write ups in the sc430 forum. I would add that words hurt especially when there was no provocation. If on the other hand this comment was meant for someone else other then me I apologize for that. It just seems that it was directed at me. I have posted some 1200 posts. I have a thick skin but some times words do hurt.I want to feel welcome in this group. When I first bought the truck I introduced my self and did have some early on questions . The many that responded to me I was very appreciative of there help. I am not looking for any response to what I have written here nor do I want to waste this forums time on nonsense. It ends here.

Respectfully

Buddy
Not directed at you. Others have been just as guilty. Sorry but having "1200 posts" really doesn't mean anything. Mann777 has less than 1200 posts and he has contributed more to this forum than all of us put together.
Old 09-26-13, 08:02 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Forgive my ignorance When you say cover comes off first are you referring to the console cover that the switch sits on top of or do you mean pry the cover of the actual switch off then remove switch from console panel in place

Thank you
Hi Alan I just got my truck back after a 10 day service a lot of things on exted warranty. I am about to tackle the led bulb change out on the height,control module I want to be sure I know where to pry the cover of the height control is it in front on side or in back or does it not matter. I can do this with the wood panel that it sits on in place. I dont want to scratch the wood so that why i am asking specific questions When the cover comes off then you have to pull switch out and disconnect the wire harness so you can service the bulb.
Old 09-27-13, 02:40 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Hi Alan I just got my truck back after a 10 day service a lot of things on exted warranty. I am about to tackle the led bulb change out on the height,control module I want to be sure I know where to pry the cover of the height control is it in front on side or in back or does it not matter. I can do this with the wood panel that it sits on in place. I dont want to scratch the wood so that why i am asking specific questions When the cover comes off then you have to pull switch out and disconnect the wire harness so you can service the bulb.
I used one of those plastic trim removers, like a tiny spatula. Just pry it up, first the cover pops off and then the switch. Disconnect the wire on the switch. Then you need to disassemble the switch itself. Just take the switch apart carefully over a table, a few small pieces will come out. The dial will come off and maybe even the metal contact underneath it. Also a couple of small parts under the high low button. You will see the 3 green bulbs, twist and remove. When you put it back, first snap cover back on switch and pop the whole thing in assembled. Pops right in. Done.
Old 09-30-13, 04:13 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

QUOTE=ALAN553;8159970]I used one of those plastic trim removers, like a tiny spatula. Just pry it up, first the cover pops off and then the switch. Disconnect the wire on the switch. Then you need to disassemble the switch itself. Just take the switch apart carefully over a table, a few small pieces will come out. The dial will come off and maybe even the metal contact underneath it. Also a couple of small parts under the high low button. You will see the 3 green bulbs, twist and remove. When you put it back, first snap cover back on switch and pop the whole thing in assembled. Pops right in. Done.[/QUOTE]

Hi Alan

I took the switch out yesterday. On the back of it after I disconnected it I could see the back ends of the small bulbs cross hair slots. I just used a small screwdriver and gave a twist and they came right out I did not have to take the switch apart at all . I did not have to open the switch as you said you did. You cautioned me about the small parts. It was really very easy to do .Thank you for your help.
Old 09-30-13, 07:02 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Respectfully

Buddy

You'll always have those people on forums, just ignore them. In the time it takes someone to tell you to search, they could've easily posted a link or tried to help out. Is it really that big of a deal to read another question that has been asked before? If it is, here's a thought....move on to the next thread if you don't have anything useful / helpful to add.

I'm sure almost every question possible has been asked in the 10yrs. that the 1st gen GX has been out.

Quick Reply: Height control switch illuminated?