GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Audio/Video Interface to connect iphone 5

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-13, 10:27 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audio/Video Interface to connect iphone 5

I have a 2006 GX470 with OEM Navigation, ML with a 6 CD changer in the glove box and a rear entertainment system. Currently, it has an old coastal lock-pick to enable the use of the NAV while in motion. I would like to upgrade/add the capability to connect my iphone 5 to the OEM AV system.

I would like to:
  • Connect iphone 5 for music and control from either the phone or the head unit.
  • Display video from the iphone....at least the NAV app from the iphone.
  • Upgrade the OEM map from 2006 version to 2012/13 and still have the capability to use the OEM NAV while in motion.

What is the best device available in the market to add the above capabilities?

Can VAISTECH, MultiMediaLinQ (latest model) do the above?

Thanks and Cheers.
Old 08-26-13, 07:15 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

I'm using the GROM USB2, it provides a wired iphone connection w/ charging, USB input, and bluetooth for phone calls and streaming audio. It does not have any provisions for video that I'm aware of.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's a way to display video on the in-dash display like you're describing, only the rear entertainment system screen for the rear seats.

I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone has a better answer though.
Old 08-27-13, 06:28 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Ian,
Thanks. I checked this one out on the web. Price is very reasonable. However, it appears that I will loose the CD changer in the glove box with this. I would like to keep this function as I add the iphone 5 capability.

Others: Please chime in and help how to add iphone 5 to a 2006 (gen 4) system. Thanks.

Cheers
Old 08-28-13, 05:39 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

From what I've read (I'm looking to do the exact same thing) you will not loose the factory CD changer as long as you set it to MD emulation instead... The video out isn't possible with anything presently on the market other than to the rear screen however.

I'm just looking for the best price, so far $245 on eBay for the MML shipped with no tax seems to be the best I've found.
Old 08-28-13, 11:00 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shadowmite
From what I've read (I'm looking to do the exact same thing) you will not loose the factory CD changer as long as you set it to MD emulation instead... The video out isn't possible with anything presently on the market other than to the rear screen however.

I'm just looking for the best price, so far $245 on eBay for the MML shipped with no tax seems to be the best I've found.
Thanks. I am leaning to MML too. When do you intend to pull the trigger? DYI?

I see you are located in Texas...Where? I am close to Houston.

Cheers.
Old 09-02-13, 05:49 PM
shadowmite
Driver

I plan to buy it next week most likely. I live up in the North Dallas area. I'd most likely install myself since I'm pretty good with car stereo installations and typically always do them myself. Appears to be a very simple procedure, I'm moreso debating if I want to add a switch and maybe a pulse generator to the handbrake and speed signals while I'm back there to hack the nav/bluetooth for passenger use while driving.
Old 09-03-13, 06:58 AM
Options2k
Intermediate

I plan to buy it next week most likely. I live up in the North Dallas area. I'd most likely install myself since I'm pretty good with car stereo installations and typically always do them myself. Appears to be a very simple procedure, I'm moreso debating if I want to add a switch and maybe a pulse generator to the handbrake and speed signals while I'm back there to hack the nav/bluetooth for passenger use while driving.
I am very interested in knowing how to use the oem navigation when in motion. Can you please post a DIY once you implement a solution.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-13, 11:03 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Any update? Would like a diy on how to use the nav while in motion. I have a gen 4 that i have not updated since new but would like to update and continue using the nav while in motion

Thanks and cheers.
Old 09-12-13, 06:07 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Options2k
Any update? Would like a diy on how to use the nav while in motion. I have a gen 4 that i have not updated since new but would like to update and continue using the nav while in motion

Thanks and cheers.
Unlock Nav in motion ----> http://www.coastaletech.com/LOCKPICK_MAIN.htm

Never mind I see you already have it. Not sure what you want to do since you already have the lockpick??
Old 09-12-13, 06:28 AM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Unlock Nav in motion ----> http://www.coastaletech.com/LOCKPICK_MAIN.htm

Never mind I see you already have it. Not sure what you want to do since you already have the lockpick??
I have a "basic" lockpic that i installed in 2007 (my gx is 06). This works great but i have heard that it does not work when the map is updated to future versions. I want to update to 2012 map and do not want to loose the current capabity of using the nav in motion. Hence, my question

Thanks for sending me the link. I see there is an updated basic locpic for $99. Is there a cheaper solution. I am going to install Vaistech MML and would like to save money, if possible on the solution to "unlock the nav". Help.

Thanks and cheers.
Old 09-16-13, 05:47 AM
shadowmite
Driver

I'm a little bit behind due to a lot of work and family plans however just ordered my MML yesterday. As for the nav unlock if you already have the lockpick you should be good to go, I've never heard of it not working? However that being said my plan since I do not have one is to implement the functionality of those devices which as I understand it is to toggle the handbrake line to show it's on, and send a slow and steady speed signal pulse at about 3-4mph so that the car believes it's moving at a acceptable rate to allow all functionality. I would simply use a toggle switch to enable these with a AVR being the microcontroller. Beats me paying a another hundred plus for a third party solution.

Nevermind, I do see where coastaltech says their product is broken on the new software and needs the update. I can try to explain what I implement but I'll warn you it's most likely not something you'd want since it will involve building the interface with a atmel microcontroller. Best bet might be to order the update and sell your old one?

Last edited by shadowmite; 09-16-13 at 05:54 AM.
Old 09-17-13, 04:44 AM
Options2k
Intermediate

I'm a little bit behind due to a lot of work and family plans however just ordered my MML yesterday.
Hello shadowmite: where did you order your MML from?

Thanks.
Old 09-17-13, 05:53 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Originally Posted by Options2k
Hello shadowmite: where did you order your MML from?

Thanks.
I'm not certain if links are allowed at this forum, mods feel free to delete if needed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MultiMediaLi...-/230879582281

That's the one I bought from since it was $5 less and doesn't require shipping or tax...I tried asking Vaistech several times if they would match the price or do free shipping but they refused.
Old 09-17-13, 08:11 AM
Mparent
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I never understood about the audio device upgrade/add-ons is WHY not get a device that renders the CD player inoperative? If the new unit allows you to plug CD players into it, just disconnect the factory6 CD changer from the head unit and plug it into the new add on device. Is the problem that we would have to solder on connectors to the factory CD changer (RCA plugs, I am guessing since it is probably hard wired to the head unit). I must be missing an obvious piece of the puzzle. Mike
Old 09-18-13, 02:35 PM
shadowmite
Driver

FYI, the MML came today, apparently that seller either drop ships directly from Vais or they actually are Vais just listing under another name since this package was sent directly from their location to me.

Quick Reply: Audio/Video Interface to connect iphone 5