GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Audio/Video Interface to connect iphone 5

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-13, 09:04 PM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

MML installed today. There is barely enough room to toss it in behind the top passenger side section of the hole you pull the nav unit out of. Ran the USB cable into the glovebox for easy access. It even presses the "I agree" button like its supposed to. Note on that however that the "scan" button by the cassette deck doesnt work on the 2006 nav. You have to press the virtual on-screen scan button 8 times for the settings mode.
Old 09-22-13, 11:29 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowmite
MML installed today. There is barely enough room to toss it in behind the top passenger side section of the hole you pull the nav unit out of. Ran the USB cable into the glovebox for easy access. It even presses the "I agree" button like its supposed to. Note on that however that the "scan" button by the cassette deck doesnt work on the 2006 nav. You have to press the virtual on-screen scan button 8 times for the settings mode.
How is the sound quality? I had heard somewhere that the MML improves the SQ over oem. I know that the ML system in my GX is not as clear (or has the depth) than the ML in my SC! I am hoping that the MML improves it....does it?

Thanks
Old 09-23-13, 05:49 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Options2k
How is the sound quality? I had heard somewhere that the MML improves the SQ over oem. I know that the ML system in my GX is not as clear (or has the depth) than the ML in my SC! I am hoping that the MML improves it....does it?

Thanks
Honestly, I don't believe the sound quality increases at all since this isn't used in the signal path, it's simply sharing the bus and audio input connections. So when it is off the MML shouldn't have any effect on the CD changer input. When using the MML however I do offhand notice it seems just as decent as the OEM system with MP3 VBR 320. I haven't tried the FLAC support yet but I plan on it since I utilize that for my entire library.

That said however, this Mark Levinson system has foam surround speakers so you should accept that it's just a name on typical OEM speakers. The amplifier section might be decent but the speakers are just standard in my opinion. I once helped my father replace all speakers in a nice high end car with actual kevlar core and rubber surround speakers and while there was some noticeable improvement it's still a car and unless you are stopped with the engine off you really shouldn't expect much!

I'd imagine the difference you hear between your cars is more determined by the sound stage and acoustics of the cabin.