HID 5K or 6500K - Club Lexus Forums

Log In 

HID 5K or 6500K

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-13, 04:41 PM   #1
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
 
Booyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,485
Default HID 5K or 6500K

Already have 5K Xenondepot kits on my Low and Fogs but today one of my low beams turned a purplish color and looks like crap lol--Im guessing thats a sign of getting ready to die. Anyway Has anybody bought or used Xenondepot 6500K bulbs in their GX? Thinking maybe og going to the 6500K but dont want alot of crappy blue, I like my 5K alot.
Booyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 04:42 PM   #2
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Joeb427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 10,728
Default

5k is nice bright white and more light output.
Joeb427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 05:21 PM   #3
cssnms
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MD
Posts: 1,341
Default

I have the 4500k kit from DDM tuning, it's a little blue (almost OEM'ish looking). The 6500k will be too blue IMO. I can try to post some pics if you're interested.

Last edited by cssnms; 08-09-13 at 05:28 PM.
cssnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 05:28 PM   #4
cssnms
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MD
Posts: 1,341
Default

Wanna try some awesome bulbs give the Morimoto's a shot. The 4300k is a bright white with a slight so slight hint of blue at certain angles. I just installed 4300k XB35 H1's in my Tundra with the Morimoto ballasts and projectors. Their 5k bulb offers even more blue, but the bluer you go the less light output you get.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php?cPath=27
cssnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 05:59 PM   #5
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
 
Booyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,485
Default

I have the xenon depot kit which has been flawless. Just my 5K bulb decided to crap out and turn purple. From what I'm hearing stay with the 5K---I had the 4300K and didn't care for them that much, they were bright but my 5K is dead on perfect balance color and nice white light even more so than the Phillips 4300K bulbs I had originally.
Booyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 06:59 PM   #6
Crispy3M
Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NB
Posts: 173
Default

I also have the Xenon Depot 5K Kit and find them slightly too blue.

Also, I'm not sure if it's just me, but mine shake ever so slightly on bumpy roads. No one in my vehicle but me seems to be able to notice it, but it's definitely there. I'm not sure if it's because the guts of the HID bulbs are so long or whats going on.

I still have them installed but am considering removing them.

Chris
Crispy3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 06:31 AM   #7
cssnms
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MD
Posts: 1,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah View Post
I have the xenon depot kit which has been flawless. Just my 5K bulb decided to crap out and turn purple. From what I'm hearing stay with the 5K---I had the 4300K and didn't care for them that much, they were bright but my 5K is dead on perfect balance color and nice white light even more so than the Phillips 4300K bulbs I had originally.
You can use any bulb with your XD kit. I highly recommend the Morimoto's - I don't think you will have that turning purple problem with them.
cssnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 06:40 AM   #8
cssnms
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MD
Posts: 1,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy3M View Post
I also have the Xenon Depot 5K Kit and find them slightly too blue.

Also, I'm not sure if it's just me, but mine shake ever so slightly on bumpy roads. No one in my vehicle but me seems to be able to notice it, but it's definitely there. I'm not sure if it's because the guts of the HID bulbs are so long or whats going on.

I still have them installed but am considering removing them.

Chris
No shaking or what is called "flickering" with the Morimoto's. What I have found out between using my DDM kit and my significantly higher quality Morimoto HID kit is that bulb temperature is also impacted by the ballasts used. Not only that but often times these bulbs (that mostly come from China) while labled 5k are really more equivalent to a 6k or 6500k - the quality control just isn't there.

The output of the Morimoto bulbs tend to run more true. Their 4300k was perfect for my Tundra. At first I I thought it was going to be too white, but after they broke-in the color is just right IMO. I run them with a DDM 4500k fog light kit and the difference between the colors is very noticeable despite only being 200k difference - fogs are much more blue.

I installed the 4500k 55w DDM kit in my GX and the light output is crazy bright and def would not want it to be any more blue than it is, because at that point I think it just starts to look to Fast and Furious for my taste and non-OEM.
cssnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 07:30 AM   #9
Crispy3M
Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NB
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
No shaking or what is called "flickering" with the Morimoto's. What I have found out between using my DDM kit and my significantly higher quality Morimoto HID kit is that bulb temperature is also impacted by the ballasts used. Not only that but often times these bulbs (that mostly come from China) while labled 5k are really more equivalent to a 6k or 6500k - the quality control just isn't there.

The output of the Morimoto bulbs tend to run more true. Their 4300k was perfect for my Tundra. At first I I thought it was going to be too white, but after they broke-in the color is just right IMO. I run them with a DDM 4500k fog light kit and the difference between the colors is very noticeable despite only being 200k difference - fogs are much more blue.

I installed the 4500k 55w DDM kit in my GX and the light output is crazy bright and def would not want it to be any more blue than it is, because at that point I think it just starts to look to Fast and Furious for my taste and non-OEM.
Thanks Chris!
Crispy3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 07:45 AM   #10
cssnms
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MD
Posts: 1,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy3M View Post
Thanks Chris!
Not a problem. I spent A LOT of time researching and testing various products before embarking on my HID projector retro-fit on my Tundra - what a project that turned out to be. Made lots of new friends over on the HID Planet forum - those guys live and breath HID lights.

If you or anyone else is interested I can snap photos of the Tundra lights with the Morimoto 4300k bulbs up against the DDM 4500k fog bulbs. Or how the 55w 4500k bulbs look in the GX.
cssnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 10:08 AM   #11
IanB2
Lead Lap
 
IanB2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: WPG, MB
Posts: 725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Not a problem. I spent A LOT of time researching and testing various products before embarking on my HID projector retro-fit on my Tundra - what a project that turned out to be. Made lots of new friends over on the HID Planet forum - those guys live and breath HID lights.

If you or anyone else is interested I can snap photos of the Tundra lights with the Morimoto 4300k bulbs up against the DDM 4500k fog bulbs. Or how the 55w 4500k bulbs look in the GX.
Always interested in pics!
IanB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 10:19 AM   #12
cssnms
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MD
Posts: 1,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB2 View Post
Always interested in pics!
Will try to get some up tonight. Will take some side by side pics too so you can the difference between two manufacturer's bulbs that should be closer in color/temperature than they are - 4300k vs 4500k.
cssnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 11:39 AM   #13
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
 
Booyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,485
Default

Thanks---Picts are always a bonus
Booyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 11:46 AM   #14
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver
 
infinirx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 1,562
Default

There are no 4500 K HID's. 4300K is pure white. 5k, if its even a real HID is a bit more blue then you jump to 6K usually and that's a slight more blue. 4300K is going to be your most functional out of the range discussed. More light. The more K you go the less light is emitted and the more blue you will get till its purple and worthless.
infinirx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 12:00 PM   #15
cssnms
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MD
Posts: 1,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinirx View Post
There are no 4500 K HID's. 4300K is pure white. 5k, if its even a real HID is a bit more blue then you jump to 6K usually and that's a slight more blue. 4300K is going to be your most functional out of the range discussed. More light. The more K you go the less light is emitted and the more blue you will get till its purple and worthless.
Huh? I have 3 HID kits w/4500k bulbs. Nevertheless the ratings on the cheap Chinese bulbs mean little because they for the most part never accurate.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HI...lacements-Pair

Last edited by cssnms; 08-10-13 at 12:05 PM.
cssnms is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
24 hour sale - HID's jomosc400 SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000) 15 08-16-14 02:04 AM
IL XenonDepot Xenon #1 Rated HID Extreme Kit for GX470 dvzzz GX460 / GX470 Classifieds 2 01-28-14 08:37 AM
DRL with LED? High Beam? jimjaix IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) 8 06-06-13 05:33 AM
Changing HID K-Temps 4300K--6K Booyah GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) 11 09-14-10 08:28 AM
2007 IS250's w/ Stock HID lights.. axis77 IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) 9 11-05-06 09:37 PM


Tags
4500k, 5000k, 5k, 6500k, ddm, h11, hid, hidplanet, morimoto, ratings, reviews, tuning, xb35

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:28 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved