GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Brakes lock up after washing

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-13, 09:01 AM
dandg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes lock up after washing

After washing my 08 GX and putting in the garage to wax dry I have found that the next time I get in it to drive-often a day or so later,the car will not move in reverse ( or forward) without me revving it up quite high to overcome the locked up pads on the rotors. Sometimes its even screeches the tires to get in un locked.
Anyone else had this issue and how did you fix it?
I just washed it and letting it sit outside for a bit to see if the sun will dry out the rotors/pads and that would help.
Old 08-06-13, 10:12 AM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you using the hand brake after the wash?

It is possible that your hand brake mechanism is sticking somewhere (Due to rust/corrosion) and it's keeping the rear brakes engaged. This is not normal but it can be fixed with some proper lubrication.

Try to simulate the problem without touching the handbrake. Leave it overnight and see if brakes lock up again.

If the problem repeats again, i would start inspecting each one of your calipers. You may have a sticky caliper that needs piston repair/lubrication or replacement. This is a well discussed topic on this forum.
Old 08-06-13, 10:53 AM
dandg
Driver

Hi,
and thanks for the reply.
I am not using the hand brake-really have never used it. This only happens after I wash it,I can leave the GX for days,and often do,and its fine when I get in it .The only time it locks up-I am guessing its the pads,is after it is washed,it sits for a day or so and the first time you go to drive it it will not move,no rev no drive nothing.I put it in Reverse rev it up and get ready for it to brake free and screech the tires.You have to put you foot on the brake fast then or its comes flying out the garage.

Both sets of rotors and pads (front and rear) were replaced at 25k when it was CPO'd,its has 35k on it now but has done it from the beginning of my owning it-25k.
Old 08-06-13, 11:26 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

happens all the time to any of my cars, gx, miatat, etc...washed the car and did not move it for a day, next day, always that slight clunk in the brakes when i back up....water, rust on the disc, whatever. never had a chance to dry...go the car wash...never happens.
Old 08-06-13, 11:53 AM
dandg
Driver

Maybe if the driving after the car wash dries the rotors/pad out ?
I wash my wifes RX the same way thou and it never does it in that car.
Old 08-06-13, 02:31 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dandg
After washing my 08 GX and putting in the garage to wax dry I have found that the next time I get in it to drive-often a day or so later,the car will not move in reverse ( or forward) without me revving it up quite high to overcome the locked up pads on the rotors. Sometimes its even screeches the tires to get in un locked.
Anyone else had this issue and how did you fix it?
I just washed it and letting it sit outside for a bit to see if the sun will dry out the rotors/pads and that would help.
Yes, brake pads will attach themselves to the rotors (rust) after washing if you just let the car sit w/o driving it. It's worse with brake pads that have metallic content (semi-metallic pads). I've made it a habit to drive the car around the block after every wash to dry the brakes. Some guys I know have bought a leaf blower for this purpose, but I'd rather drive
Old 08-07-13, 03:57 AM
dandg
Driver

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Yes, brake pads will attach themselves to the rotors (rust) after washing if you just let the car sit w/o driving it. It's worse with brake pads that have metallic content (semi-metallic pads). I've made it a habit to drive the car around the block after every wash to dry the brakes. Some guys I know have bought a leaf blower for this purpose, but I'd rather drive
The pads were done at a Lexus dealer (with rotors)when they CPO'd the car,they might well be semi metallic. I live on a dirt road, two miles in,I might try the blower idea.

Will see today if its locked up after sitting in the sun bit before I put it in the garage.
Old 08-07-13, 07:22 AM
dandg
Driver

I just went out and tried it,locked up tight,had it up to 3000 rpm still no move.I went around with a rubber mallet and wooden dowel and tapped the pads/calibers through the wheels. Started it back up and put it in reverse and it broke free.
Next time will try a blower.
Old 08-09-13, 10:08 AM
danmm7
Driver

I just went out and tried it,locked up tight,had it up to 3000 rpm still no move.I went around with a rubber mallet and wooden dowel and tapped the pads/calibers through the wheels. Started it back up and put it in reverse and it broke free.
Next time will try a blower.
This is a solid lock up.
Do you know if it happens on the front or rear?

I would just replace the brake pads (keep the disks) with some other brand and see if this repeats. I set of decent after market brake pads (Hawk LTS, Akebono, etc) costs less than $100. Very little labor required and easy to do, so it may worth the effort.
Old 08-09-13, 11:26 AM
dandg
Driver

Originally Posted by danmm7
This is a solid lock up.
Do you know if it happens on the front or rear?

I would just replace the brake pads (keep the disks) with some other brand and see if this repeats. I set of decent after market brake pads (Hawk LTS, Akebono, etc) costs less than $100. Very little labor required and easy to do, so it may worth the effort.
I am not sure if its front or rear, next time-if the blower does not dry them out sufficiently to prevent it,I will do just the backs first and see.

I just had it in for service-synthetic oil change,at the Lexus dealer, pretty sure they measured the pads and tire depth,let me see what they are before I replace them,might not make any difference
Old 08-10-13, 11:53 PM
danmm7
Driver

I am not sure if its front or rear, next time-if the blower does not dry them out sufficiently to prevent it,I will do just the backs first and see.

I just had it in for service-synthetic oil change,at the Lexus dealer, pretty sure they measured the pads and tire depth,let me see what they are before I replace them,might not make any difference
The pads may be still new but if the material they are made of is poor quality, it may be too sticky under wet conditions.
Since pads are not too expensive and easy to replace, it may be a good thing to try.
Old 05-29-18, 04:23 AM
2016rcf
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 16 rcf. when i wash it and park the front left will lock up. so bad it will drag the tire if in dirt. any fixes or warranty issues?
Old 05-29-18, 11:17 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016rcf
i have a 16 rcf. when i wash it and park the front left will lock up. so bad it will drag the tire if in dirt. any fixes or warranty issues?
You have posted this in the gx470 forum. I dont have an answer for you but brakes are brakes if the pads are wet and the discs are hot they can get stuck , I would drive car after wash and let brakes heat up to remove any scale or build up .You can try posting in the other forum