GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Need new tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-13, 06:05 AM
Ragnoir
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new tires

I have an 05 with some Michelin tires on them. They are 09's but experiencing some bad dry rot. I spoke with the Lexus service rep and he said the Michelin are known to have that issue in the Florida heat.

What is a good tire you would recommend? I want something with all around good performance but also good in the rain. We are in are rainy season here and I don't want something that would brake loose easily.

Also where should I purchase the tires? In the past I've always gone with tirerack.com but I wanted to make sure there isn't something better out there.
Old 07-23-13, 12:47 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

bummer, most people here will recommend Michelin again, LTX m/s 2 or cross terrains....never heard that about Michelin, they are usully considered top tier in the tire world...with a price to go with it. PS, god only knows, that lexus service reps are always know to be accurate, reliable and knowledgable, LOL.

Last edited by ALAN553; 07-23-13 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-23-13, 04:18 PM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.tirerack.com/

Read reviews there and pick based on your needs. Sound like snow traction is not a top concern.

I am also VERY happy with my Michelin LTX M/S2 tires (dry, rain and snow) but they are not cheap for sure.

You may want to try the Good Year Wrangler SilentArmor or Good Year Assurance CS TripleTred
Old 07-24-13, 05:30 AM
Ragnoir
Driver School Candidate

I ended up going with a Yokohama H/T S, it seems to be the best bang for your buck and they have over 42 reviews on Tirerack from Lexus owners that just raved about this tire. The dealership is going to match the Tirerack price for me so it's a one stop shop.
Old 07-24-13, 03:25 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I was also going to recommend Michelin LTX M/S2 tires, but too late. I had Yokohamas once, and they got horribly noisy after less than 10,000 miles. I hope you have better luck. Dry rot in Florida? Wow, must be due to acid rain or something.
Old 07-24-13, 04:07 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Michelin LTX M/S2 tires
Old 07-31-13, 04:49 AM
sprocket
Pole Position

I decided to save a few bucks on my '04 and installed Firestone Destination LE's about 6,000 miles ago. I've been very happy and they were a huge improvement over the crappy Dunlop Grandtrek's that were on it. I was a little hesitant because Tire Rack had good reviews but not a lot of them.
Old 08-06-13, 08:31 AM
Ragnoir
Driver School Candidate

So I just wanted to follow up on the status of my new tires in case anyone is needing some. So I've had the tires for about 2 weeks and I just took them on a 1200 mile road trip. I went from FL all the way to the mountains of NC. They were perfect!

They run very quite and gripped the road like glue. I felt very secure driving them on the curvy roads up in the mountains. They were an excellent choice in tire and 50.00 less per tire than the Michelin.

I would highly recommend if you are looking for new tires to really give these a hard look.
Old 08-06-13, 09:11 AM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragnoir
So I just wanted to follow up on the status of my new tires in case anyone is needing some. So I've had the tires for about 2 weeks and I just took them on a 1200 mile road trip. I went from FL all the way to the mountains of NC. They were perfect!

They run very quite and gripped the road like glue. I felt very secure driving them on the curvy roads up in the mountains. They were an excellent choice in tire and 50.00 less per tire than the Michelin.

I would highly recommend if you are looking for new tires to really give these a hard look.
Please report how they perform in snow/ice once winter is here.
Part of the reason i love the Michelins so much is that they are pretty good in snow (not like a true snow tire, but close enough), in addition to their ideal dry/wet road behavior. They seem to wear very well to after 12k miles on them.

If the Yoko tires are great in snow/ice and are long lasting, then you have a winner.

Last edited by danmm7; 08-06-13 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-26-13, 05:19 AM
dandg
Driver

Getting ready for tires myself (35k miles on the GX)and toying with the Michelins LTX MS's but I get a good bit more snow up here in NH.Any feed back from drivers in northern areas who get a lot of snow ?

Thanks
Old 08-26-13, 05:34 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by dandg
Getting ready for tires myself (35k miles on the GX)and toying with the Michelins LTX MS's but I get a good bit more snow up here in NH.Any feed back from drivers in northern areas who get a lot of snow ?

Thanks
http://www.vredestein.com/car-tyres/...4-xtreme/info/

I used these for a few years, unbelievable in the snow, great handling dry...they just dont last that long..only got 35,000 miles on them. The Michelins should be good for over 50K. The last couple of winters in NJ i had the LTX M/S 2's on and had no problem...but to repeat, the vredestein's in the winter were the best!
Old 08-26-13, 06:29 AM
dandg
Driver

Thanks Alan ,

grew up in NJ-escaped 15 yrs ago to NH,lived in Teaneck and Pompton Lakes.
Those Vredestein looks real nice but I suspect the LTX M/S will do the trick as long as they are not to noisy.Sams has them and makes rotation easier for me.
Old 08-26-13, 10:10 AM
ALAN553
Racer

[QUOTE=dandg;8108398]Thanks Alan ,

grew up in NJ-escaped 15 yrs ago to NH,lived in Teaneck and Pompton Lakes.
Those Vredestein looks real nice but I suspect the LTX M/S will do the trick as long as they are not to noisy.Sams has them and makes rotation easier for me.[/QU

grew up in Wayne, lived in Montville 23 years before moving to short hills, as a kid spent summers in NH...Bethlehem, still go up there every few years...the Old Man in The Mountain left town on me though. You will have no trouble with the michelins, quiet, smooth..just those vredesteins handled like high perfomrance tires. expensive too, more than michelin.
Old 08-26-13, 02:06 PM
ebradford
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dandg

Thanks
I put a set of Michelin LTX AT2s on my '03 GX back in June. I can't speak to their snow capabilities yet but they're surprisingly quiet and very good in the sand (aired down).
Old 08-26-13, 04:26 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ebradford
I put a set of Michelin LTX AT2s on my '03 GX back in June. I can't speak to their snow capabilities yet but they're surprisingly quiet and very good in the sand (aired down).
I put some on last year before snow season in Alaska and I can tell you they are like flypaper, they grip VERY well--I was shocked, you will be amazed and I love mine so far so comfy and quite

Quick Reply: Need new tires