GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

just bought 05 gx a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-18, 05:48 AM
dasgroup
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default just bought 05 gx a few questions

Picked up my ash blue 05 last week and am working thru the small issues. Hate the oem headlights. Remind me too much of the 08 ES i had.Have HID in all other cars we own. May go the LED route. The lens's looked a little hazed, do they polish up well or is replacement recommended? The 1" black trim at the top of the drivers door window and top and back of rear left door are pitted and really bad looking. Passenger side is fine. My original thought was a piece of trim was missing but no. Any suggestions for repair? Mine has the tow prep package,. Is there a bolt on hitch receiver that I can use with a bike carrier vs needing to get the oem style frame mount class III/IV hitch?
Old 09-30-18, 08:05 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I replaced my lights as they were just too far gone - polishing them only lasted a few months. Contact a local detailer and make sure they have the coating to apply to the lens after they polish (it's the important bit).

No idea on the door trim. Talk to a body shop?

For a bike-rack-only hitch, look at a Curt or U-Haul. If you do ever decide to tow a boat or trailer with it, don't load it up with any more weight than the lowest rating of the components on the system has. That might be the hitch, might be the tow bar, or even the ball.

Chip H.
Old 09-30-18, 09:04 AM
dasgroup
Pit Crew

I have an Escalade ESV bought specifically for towing my boat, Works taking kids to college too. GX can't handle the boat even full factory equipped. Kids like to mountain bike and I'd rather they stay outside. I fear the short term fix on the headlight lenses, had same issue with same year Acura, worked for about 9 months.
Old 09-30-18, 05:10 PM
tz693
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Go LED. They are amazing.
Old 09-30-18, 06:39 PM
tregtom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tz693
Go LED. They are amazing.
Any recommendation on where to get the LED lights?
Old 09-30-18, 10:40 PM
EddieK05
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tregtom
Any recommendation on where to get the LED lights?
http://www.opt-7.com
The following users liked this post:
tregtom (10-01-18)
Old 10-01-18, 05:24 AM
dasgroup
Pit Crew

Do hazy plastic lenses need to be replaced prior to the LED's or will they shine thru them?
Old 10-01-18, 08:09 AM
tregtom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dasgroup
Do hazy plastic lenses need to be replaced prior to the LED's or will they shine thru them?
No matter what bulbs you use they will work way better if you remove the haze first.
Old 10-02-18, 07:22 AM
JLee50
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Picked up my ash blue 05 last week and am working thru the small issues. Hate the oem headlights. Remind me too much of the 08 ES i had.Have HID in all other cars we own. May go the LED route. The lens's looked a little hazed, do they polish up well or is replacement recommended? The 1" black trim at the top of the drivers door window and top and back of rear left door are pitted and really bad looking. Passenger side is fine. My original thought was a piece of trim was missing but no. Any suggestions for repair? Mine has the tow prep package,. Is there a bolt on hitch receiver that I can use with a bike carrier vs needing to get the oem style frame mount class III/IV hitch?
https://squashingrocks.com/diy/body-...t-refinishing/

There is a small bolt on hitch (not frame mounted) but it requires a different trim panel for the middle of the rear bumper. The frame mounted hitch mounts below the bumper.
Old 10-02-18, 07:45 AM
dasgroup
Pit Crew

The smaller bolt on is what I'm looking for for bike racks and small carriers, not for real towing. I used the Sylvania kit on an Acura last year. The hazing returned but they were far worse that the ones on my GX. I would rather a kit that have to replace the headlight assm's.but with the age it may just be the breakdown of the plastic.
Old 10-02-18, 07:50 AM
JLee50
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The smaller bolt on is what I'm looking for for bike racks and small carriers, not for real towing. I used the Sylvania kit on an Acura last year. The hazing returned but they were far worse that the ones on my GX. I would rather a kit that have to replace the headlight assm's.but with the age it may just be the breakdown of the plastic.
How long did it last? Mine are still fine, but it hasn't been all that long yet. If it hazes again within a year of doing the kit I will probably replace the headlights.
Old 10-02-18, 08:32 AM
dasgroup
Pit Crew

It was less than a year that the hazing reappeared. They may have been too far gone to be effectively polished and should have been replaced. Replacing is a bit more of an ordeal on the GX and since they aren't as bad I may try the polishing along with replacing the factory bulbs. Likely going with LED's over the HID's. After getting spoiled driving cars with HID's going back to Halogens is not acceptable.

I have a small bolt on Reese receiver but the holes don't line up with the mounting bracket on the GX. Something similar is what I'm hoping to find.

Just bought a set of takeoff tires and Rims from an 18 4Runner to replace the dry rotted tires and peeling wheels. Need to find Lexus center caps to replace the Toyota ones.