GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Help w/ purchase - GX470, RX350, Sequoia, or Mercedes ML320??

Old 05-30-13, 05:25 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

FWIW, we rented a Hyundai Santa Fe last March when we were visiting friends in Wisconsin. It was well equipped, even SAT radio, but both of felt it was very noisy and rough-riding on the freeway, which was most of our driving while there. We drove it about 300 miles, long enough to get a good feel for it, and determined that we would never buy one. Gas mileage was in the low 20s: not good for an underpowered 4-cylinder.

You may want to look at Toyota 4-Runners. They are pretty nice, well-equipped, good in the snow and reliable. Gas mileage isn't fantastic, and they hold their value well, meaning they won't be cheap.

Last edited by RickC5; 06-05-13 at 05:48 AM.
Old 06-03-13, 05:55 PM
HOLGER21
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just my opinion. I come from a Lexus family and I actually used to ride around in a GX470 with my dad on a daily basis. great car realiable but interior was just too small for me. when I decided to get a suv I actually ended up getting a 2009 QX56. it is far nicer and very reliable compared to the GX. it has a lot more room inside and I honestly think its one of the best suv body styles on the road. the newer ones eeehhh not a big fan body style changed too much but inside looks like a private jet an extremely quiet. so the QX is my favorite right now. has all the goodies standard on it.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 06-04-13, 06:05 PM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HOLGER21
just my opinion. I come from a Lexus family and I actually used to ride around in a GX470 with my dad on a daily basis. great car realiable but interior was just too small for me. when I decided to get a suv I actually ended up getting a 2009 QX56. it is far nicer and very reliable compared to the GX. it has a lot more room inside and I honestly think its one of the best suv body styles on the road. the newer ones eeehhh not a big fan body style changed too much but inside looks like a private jet an extremely quiet. so the QX is my favorite right now. has all the goodies standard on it.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
What is the real world gas mileage you get with the QX56?
I've heard some horrible numbers (like 10-12mpg) and some not so bad.
Old 06-09-13, 09:13 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cant say much for the 07 Sequoia. But damn, my friend picked up an 08 Platinum Sequoia, and he was kind enough to let me have it for two days, while he was away. I fell in love, I have not driven anything like that in my life, and I have experience with a lot of cars and tracks. The thing drives like a sedan, even better than my old GS400. If I could I would switch in a heart beat form my still lovely GX to an 08+ Sequoia. ( I do not take the gas in to account. I never cared for it, but the Toyota burns a lot of it )
Old 06-19-13, 03:08 PM
brycejaq
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
well, I'd go ahead and cross the RX350 off the list unless you want a car body with a lower ride height. I think the ML is also based on a car frame.

The GX470 and the Sequoia will be your only two options you have listed that are truly a body on frame truck design. This allows for a higher tow ratings and increased ride height.

The Sequoia will be a bit bigger than the GX, but the GX will be far more luxurious. We've owned our GX for more than 2 years and wouldnt trade it for a thing on the market right now. Its luxurious, has excellent ride quality, can tow 6500 lbs, gets 17mpg~, and is truly capable off road.

It's gonna be a night and day difference between that overpriced Jeep dune buggy and Lexus workmanship. I'm not trying to knock you, but I cant believe people are paying 40k+ for a "new" old military vehicle with just basic civilians upgrades to it.
I'll second most of this information. Although, I will add that Mercedes overall doesn't even come close to the reliability of Toyota/Lexus.

We also have an 06 GX and were looking at 06 and 07 Sequoias (with 60-90k on them) before we bought our GX 4 years ago. In general, every Sequoia we looked at was "nice", but was no where near as nice as the GX.

My wife and I have been debating what car we want to get next, but there's really nothing else out there on the market (specifically in the Toyota/Lexus brand) that would give us all the space and amenities that our GX has given and still gives us.

All said and done, we'd buy the GX all over again and have no plans on trading up to anything else within the next 2-3 years (unless we have twins and are forced into a Sequoia or LC).
Old 06-21-13, 09:14 AM
jadeblade
Driver School Candidate

Default GX470 for Road Trips

I have a '05 GX470 with 104kmi and I take it cross country often. I am very happy with the GX470 because the ride is smooth and when I pass a Semi Truck you wouldn't even know it. It has never disappointed me for driving on snow/ice (I go skiing a lot). It has plenty of power for passing and mountain travel.
I chose the GX over several other large SUV options because of better gas mileage and because although it feels big, it isn't really that big when it comes to parking and getting in and out of the garage.
Make sure the timing belt has been replaced in the one you buy if it used (sched. 90K mi). Also have the CV boots checked they tend to need replacement around 100kmi.
Gas Mileage is about 14mpg at sea level and about 17mpg when I get to higher altitudes in the Rockies.
The only downside on my GX is that I really dislike the dealer service and the 3rd row seats are only good for kids or small adults...
Old 06-21-13, 09:29 AM
jadeblade
Driver School Candidate

Just one other note regarding the mileage on the GX 4.7 liter - Toyota/Lexus projects the lifespan of the motor to be 500,000 to 700,000 miles. So, 100kmi is no big deal. $22K OTD is a fair price if all Maintenance is up to date.
Old 11-25-13, 04:42 AM
tonybada
Driver School Candidate

my opinion would be to go for the newer vehicle with the best warranty. I am finding out that the GX470 is very expensive to maintain after the warranty and I am considering getting something newer than my 2007. They might not be as luxurious, but will save you money on gas and maintenance.
Old 11-25-13, 08:59 AM
amccaulx
Rookie

Originally Posted by tonybada
my opinion would be to go for the newer vehicle with the best warranty. I am finding out that the GX470 is very expensive to maintain after the warranty and I am considering getting something newer than my 2007. They might not be as luxurious, but will save you money on gas and maintenance.
What problems have you had with your GX?

jadeblade,

What do you dislike about Lexus Service? My Lexus Dealership is the only dealership I have felt ok with them doing work on my car. And they have the only service writer I have ever talked to that knew something about cars.
Old 11-25-13, 11:39 AM
tonybada
Driver School Candidate

i have had the alternator go, the power window motor, the original battery after 3 yrs, several other minor issues. I am also looking at the 90k service coming up in 4,000 miles which means the timing belt must be replaced. It has not been a lemon, but i expected more from a Lexus. The dealer is real expensive ($700 to replace window motor, $850 to change alternator etc.)
Old 11-25-13, 06:24 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

So you are looking at the GX, good for you! GX's can run to 300.000 miles with regular maintenance, but that maintenance will not be as cheap as the RX350 maintenance. The '08 RX350 has a timing chain that does NOT need replacement at 90,000 miles. Mercedes? Forget that one! Sequoia? Meh!
GX470 or RX350? Both could run to 300,000 miles. GX would cost more to get there. The GX is a bullet proof frick'n luxo tank. The RX350 - not quite, but the RX is a solid luxury cruiser. The RX350 has good towing capacity and will probably have lower overall maintenance costs. The RX350 has much better fuel economy. You make the call. (I picked 'the tank' 17 mpg be damned).
Old 12-01-13, 08:20 AM
GX470Fan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GX all the way...

Originally Posted by aimcat
My husband and I currently own a 12 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with around 17k miles. While we really love dropping the top on the jeep, we have sort of gotten to the point where we are asking why we got it. It has a very ridged ride and not sure its for us. We travel a lot and its pretty raw driving down the interstate with the top moving and the vehicle swaying every time you pass a semi. Haha.

So we are asking ourselves this and need some opinions....do we keep the Jeep or sell and get one of the following.....and looking at these

06 Lexus GX470 w 95k miles
06 Sequoia SRS sport edition - 91k
07 Sequoia limited - 120k
08 Mercedes ML320 Diesel - 84k miles
08 Lexus RX350 - 74k miles

Things that are important to us - RIDE, comfy, luxury and RELIABILITY. I will be honest - it seems NONE of these have satellite radio or aux imput options and I love my satellite radio, so huge negative there....and from what ive read hard to add without changing factory options?!

Just need some imput - highly considering the lexus - is this too many miles on these? We plan on keeping 2-3 years.
I recently purchased a 2007 GX with 89k miles on it, one owner, perfect condition. The Lexus Dealership where I purchased it did the timing belt/water pump work, put in a new battery, changed all the filters AND put on a new set of Cooper Discoverer H/T P tires on it before I bought it. All in, my purchase price was $24,500. Plus I paid $420 for GAP Insurance (a necessity, I feel). I have owned a slew of bought new BMW's and Mercedes. None can match the luxury, capability, dependability and fit and finish of my GX. My GX has every option: Sports Package, factory tint all around, Mark Levinson Sound, Navigation, tow hitch, third row seats and air, the works. The only option it doesn't have is the Rear Entertainment System and built in satellite receiver. It has a button on the dash for satellite radio, but was never equipped with the receiver. As soon as I bought it, I went out and bought a Sirius receiver, car kit and antenna. 15 minutes later I had satellite radio. No problem. As far as the mileage on the GX you're looking at, it's just getting started in its life. Lexus's can go 300-400k miles mostly with just routine maintenance. My advice is to drive them all, but drive the GX last. I think you'll find it is head and shoulders above the rest in all the categories you are looking for. I use mine with just my Wife (and the occasional teenager or two) and it has PLENTY of room for us AND all our gear. I do quite a bit of off-roading (mostly in Moab, Utah) and the GX is amazingly capable off-road. I have the KDSS on mine and it really helps a lot, however, given what you said, you probably will not need that option. I used to be a Sales Manager for Toyota a few years ago and am very familiar with the Sequoia. Yes, the Platinum Edition is a VERY sweet ride, but it's also MUCH bigger than the GX. Given how you said you'd use this next truck, I doubt you'll need that much truck. And being so much bigger, it is much thirstier at the pump. And while the Limited is also very nice, it simply cannot compare to the pure luxury of the GX, IMO. I had a 4Runner Limited before the GX and used to think it was pretty nice and capable off-road. However, the GX trumps the 4Runner BIG time in ALL categories. Personally, I'll never drive another brand besides Lexus. I also had a similar experience to the other poster regarding passing a semi on the highway. When I did it, or vice versa, my GX didn't even move an inch, I was amazed. It is an incredibly solid truck. Drive the rest, then buy the best, the GX. My two cents.
Old 12-01-13, 10:49 AM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well put, to the point.

Originally Posted by GX470Fan
I recently purchased a 2007 GX with 89k miles on it, one owner, perfect condition. The Lexus Dealership where I purchased it did the timing belt/water pump work, put in a new battery, changed all the filters AND put on a new set of Cooper Discoverer H/T P tires on it before I bought it. All in, my purchase price was $24,500. Plus I paid $420 for GAP Insurance (a necessity, I feel). I have owned a slew of bought new BMW's and Mercedes. None can match the luxury, capability, dependability and fit and finish of my GX. My GX has every option: Sports Package, factory tint all around, Mark Levinson Sound, Navigation, tow hitch, third row seats and air, the works. The only option it doesn't have is the Rear Entertainment System and built in satellite receiver. It has a button on the dash for satellite radio, but was never equipped with the receiver. As soon as I bought it, I went out and bought a Sirius receiver, car kit and antenna. 15 minutes later I had satellite radio. No problem. As far as the mileage on the GX you're looking at, it's just getting started in its life. Lexus's can go 300-400k miles mostly with just routine maintenance. My advice is to drive them all, but drive the GX last. I think you'll find it is head and shoulders above the rest in all the categories you are looking for. I use mine with just my Wife (and the occasional teenager or two) and it has PLENTY of room for us AND all our gear. I do quite a bit of off-roading (mostly in Moab, Utah) and the GX is amazingly capable off-road. I have the KDSS on mine and it really helps a lot, however, given what you said, you probably will not need that option. I used to be a Sales Manager for Toyota a few years ago and am very familiar with the Sequoia. Yes, the Platinum Edition is a VERY sweet ride, but it's also MUCH bigger than the GX. Given how you said you'd use this next truck, I doubt you'll need that much truck. And being so much bigger, it is much thirstier at the pump. And while the Limited is also very nice, it simply cannot compare to the pure luxury of the GX, IMO. I had a 4Runner Limited before the GX and used to think it was pretty nice and capable off-road. However, the GX trumps the 4Runner BIG time in ALL categories. Personally, I'll never drive another brand besides Lexus. I also had a similar experience to the other poster regarding passing a semi on the highway. When I did it, or vice versa, my GX didn't even move an inch, I was amazed. It is an incredibly solid truck. Drive the rest, then buy the best, the GX. My two cents.