GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 Pintle Hitch with Factory Tow Package

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-14, 09:06 PM
Strizel
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chiph9
I agree. The 10,000 pound rating seems like a misprint.

The frame-mounted hitch is attached to the vehicle at three points - each frame rail and the cross-member.

The pintle hitch is attached to the vehicle at just one point - the cross-member. So all the force is concentrated there rather than being spread out.

Chip H.
I thought the same thing so I contacted Sewell and they confirmed the rating was correct and said either way your attaching it directly to the frame and the cross member is was designed to handle the full 6500 capacity. Not sure if that's all true but again I probably won't be towing anything that large any time soon.
Old 06-23-14, 11:29 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Strizel
I thought the same thing so I contacted Sewell and they confirmed the rating was correct and said either way your attaching it directly to the frame and the cross member is was designed to handle the full 6500 capacity. Not sure if that's all true but again I probably won't be towing anything that large any time soon.
Several years ago the Lexus pintle / integral hitch was a class III hitch and rated to tow up to 5K lbs. / tongue rating of 500lbs. The frame mounted hitch has always been a class IV hitch and rated to tow up to 6,500lbs / tongue rating of 975lbs.

V6 4Runners (120 series) are only rated to tow up to 5,000lbs. and they use same pintle hitch and it's a class III 5,000lbs. / 500lb. tongue rating. The specs are still the same on the Toyota hitch so I don't see how Lexus could up the class rating on theirs. OH wait the L, that's has to be it!
Old 06-24-14, 06:06 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Dealers have been wrong before. I am highly skeptical that the pintle hitch can safely handle 6500 lbs, much less 10000 lbs as currently advertised.

I wouldn't do it. Not me. No sir.

Chip H.
Old 10-07-14, 07:03 PM
kemosabe1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pintle Hitch Best Price & Part #'s

Installed new Pintle Hitch today. It is a pretty straight forward project.

Bear in mind that the Pintle hitch is made by Toyota for use on the Toyota SUV as well as the Lexus GX470.
Therefore, the Lexus hitch part # 5190935011 is exactly the same part # through the Toyota parts dealer for about $60 less than through Sewell with the Club Lexus discount ! I paid $173.38 through Toyota of Orlando with free shipping. Search the part # thru ebay and you will see their auction post for that price or email them direct at toyotaoepartsplus@gmail.com.

Best price ($70.81) for the plastic cover part # 52169-60051-A0 Cover (Pearl)
that has the cut out for the square receiver clearance is through Sewell at the Club Lexus discount. This part is not on the Toyota truck so you must purchase through Sewell Lexus parts. The letters at the end of the part # designate the paint color, so be sure to select the right one when ordering. You must use this new cover to properly trim out he plastic around the hitch as the old one will not fit unless you saw out a square section at the bottom to clear the square hitch.

The 6 bolts to hold this hitch on are already under your GX470 holding a square plate which you will be removing when you go to install the hitch.

The 4 Blue plastic retaining clips on the inside of the cover must be removed to be able to remove the existing cover. You have to push a tab down on the blue clip to slide it out of the slot. The tabs are in a very tight position and are sometimes brittle from age & heat and may break off while removing. If you need replacement ones, or if you just want a few spares for reassembly, you can order them with your plastic cover from Sewell. The Lexus part # is 75392-35200.

This setup looks very neat and clean. 100 times better appearance over the bulky bar underneath type hitch. The rating of this hitch actually exceeds the tow capacity of the GX470, so no worries.
Bob K
Tucson
Old 10-13-14, 11:01 PM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by kemosabe1
Installed new Pintle Hitch today. It is a pretty straight forward project.

Bear in mind that the Pintle hitch is made by Toyota for use on the Toyota SUV as well as the Lexus GX470.
Therefore, the Lexus hitch part # 5190935011 is exactly the same part # through the Toyota parts dealer for about $60 less than through Sewell with the Club Lexus discount ! I paid $173.38 through Toyota of Orlando with free shipping. Search the part # thru ebay and you will see their auction post for that price or email them direct at toyotaoepartsplus@gmail.com.

Best price ($70.81) for the plastic cover part # 52169-60051-A0 Cover (Pearl)
that has the cut out for the square receiver clearance is through Sewell at the Club Lexus discount. This part is not on the Toyota truck so you must purchase through Sewell Lexus parts. The letters at the end of the part # designate the paint color, so be sure to select the right one when ordering. You must use this new cover to properly trim out he plastic around the hitch as the old one will not fit unless you saw out a square section at the bottom to clear the square hitch.

The 6 bolts to hold this hitch on are already under your GX470 holding a square plate which you will be removing when you go to install the hitch.

The 4 Blue plastic retaining clips on the inside of the cover must be removed to be able to remove the existing cover. You have to push a tab down on the blue clip to slide it out of the slot. The tabs are in a very tight position and are sometimes brittle from age & heat and may break off while removing. If you need replacement ones, or if you just want a few spares for reassembly, you can order them with your plastic cover from Sewell. The Lexus part # is 75392-35200.

This setup looks very neat and clean. 100 times better appearance over the bulky bar underneath type hitch. The rating of this hitch actually exceeds the tow capacity of the GX470, so no worries.
Bob K
Tucson
Thanks, Bob.

I've always liked the look of the pintle better and don't really care about weight distributing a heavy trailer as we only tow our pop-up. This way, the kids don't sit in the trailer all day!
Old 01-10-15, 01:59 PM
singlespd
Driver School Candidate

mr Lumbergh could you please post the photos again, thanks
Old 01-20-15, 08:06 AM
Lumbergh
Driver

Greetings Gentleman!

Haven't been around alot lately, the GX is silly reliable.

Fixed the Photobucket image links. Pics are back. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 01-24-15, 07:44 AM
maddtv
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lumbergh
Greetings Gentleman!

Haven't been around alot lately, the GX is silly reliable.

Fixed the Photobucket image links. Pics are back. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Great look sir. Would this set up fit a 2006 lexus gx 470? I am trying in vain for a set up like this. I like the clean look. i do not want to go the other way. thanks.
Old 01-26-15, 05:18 PM
realkrs
Rookie

I'm wondering why they're calling this a "pintle" hitch.

Where I come from, and have been a pintle hitch is a style of connection that uses a large ring on the towed trailer that connects to a jawlike device made to fit the ring. You set the ring into the lower jaw and then close the upper jaw, locking it with a ring pin.

This is the pintle setup used on most military equipment and is often used for offroad activities because it has a wider range of movement between tower and towee without risk of a disconnect as a ball hitch might do if strained to an inappropriate angle.

I guess it doesn't matter - the name couldn't still be trademarked; but it is confusing to an old fart like me.
Old 02-11-15, 11:29 AM
ramabama
Driver School Candidate

Newbie here. Can someone confirm that this will work on 2007 GX470.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-TOYOTA-LEXUS-TUBE-SUB-ASSY-PINTLE-HOOK-SUPPORT-OEM-51909-35011-/221688412607?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item339da8b9bf&vxp=mtr
Old 02-11-15, 11:55 AM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ramabama
Newbie here. Can someone confirm that this will work on 2007 GX470.

Genuine Toyota Lexus Tube Sub Assy Pintle Hook Support 51909 35011 | eBay
That's the correct part number.
Old 02-11-15, 12:30 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I would confirm with the seller that it's a complete kit - has all the original bolts and washers that it should have.

Chip H.
Old 02-16-15, 07:01 PM
Hoodis
Driver School Candidate

There are two pull pins on the bottom, and 4 blue tabs that are quite tricky to get off behind the cover. I levered a screwdriver and popped it loose without any serious damage.
Is there seriously no way to remove these things without breaking them?
Old 02-23-15, 12:57 AM
Strizel
Driver School Candidate

Well one huge difference may be that the GX is built on Toyota's military frame. The pintle hitch it's self really doesn't matter. Its more about the GX frame and how it is built. I am guessing that the cross member is way stronger and designed handle the 6500 tow where the 4 runner frame likely is not.
Old 02-26-15, 11:28 AM
BCrews
Rookie

Originally Posted by Strizel
Well one huge difference may be that the GX is built on Toyota's military frame. The pintle hitch it's self really doesn't matter. Its more about the GX frame and how it is built. I am guessing that the cross member is way stronger and designed handle the 6500 tow where the 4 runner frame likely is not.
Makes sense, it'd be nice to have some authority confirm this.

The GX has an accessory port under the bumper already- but I've never towed anything that had brakelights etc- do we need a seperate wiring harness part to order? What about under the steering wheel that someone else mentioned?

Quick Reply: GX470 Pintle Hitch with Factory Tow Package