GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Charcoal Color Interior

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-02, 08:39 PM
dwf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charcoal Color Interior

I signed up for a waiting list for a GX470. I told the dealer that I was interested in the SandDollar Pearl with the Ivory interior. Originally the dealer told me I would be about 30th in line.

He just called and said that I would be first in line if I would take the Silver Pine Exterior with the Charcoal interior.

The Silver Pine sounds ok but I am not sure about the charcoal interior. The preview pictures that I see in this forum look like the dash is charcoal but the seats are grey.

Has anyone actually seen the charcoal interior in person and if so what are your impressions.

The model available is with every option including spoiler.
Old 12-12-02, 10:02 PM
EP88
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

The gray interior look very nice. Putman Lexus in Redwood City, CA have one that is exactly what you descript. Take a look if you are in the area.
Old 12-12-02, 11:33 PM
robshippy
Driver School Candidate

My dealer said that they had that color vehicle available for immediate delivery.
It was the Silver Pine Exterior with the Charcoal interior. I went and saw it in person but didn't like the charcoal.
So I am still waiting until I can get one with the ivory interior.
Old 12-13-02, 01:33 AM
degeester
Rookie

For whatever reason, Lexus has decided that the hot combination for colors is Silver Pine Metallic with Charcoal interior, so they made alot of those prior to launch. Just take a look at the post of Longo Lexus on west coast allocations. If you want a GX it makes sense to pick a combination that they produced a large number. For example Lexus shipped to west coast 43 GX's in Sand Dollar with Ivory, 62 in Silver Pine and Charcoal.
Old 12-13-02, 04:11 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Silver/Charcoal

Could just be the "launch" effect. When the GS was first launched it was shown in most of the press photos as a silver/black (charcoal) interior. I think the GX has been the same (the new commercials are silver). The combo on the GS was HOT and very hard to keep in stock, so I guess they thought they'd follow the same logic and stick with the sure thing.

Personally I like the Silver/charcoal...my GS is Black/Charcoal and the seats/dash are the same color (black not gray).

Ultimately you want to get what YOU WANT, not what is available quickly (unless of course you NEED it now). I'd wait...you never want to be in a second guessing situation after the big check is already written and cashed.
Old 12-13-02, 04:44 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Not the same in the east

It appears that different regions are ordering/allocated different combos. I am #1 on the list and cant get the Silve Pine/Charcoal because most (65%) are being shipped with Ivory. I need the car now so I am taking the Ivory and I am sure I will be OK.

In fact most of the production of all exterior colors (>60%) is coming with ivory in the first allocation to the east coast.
Old 12-13-02, 04:52 PM
Squiggy
Rookie

Default so Knicksfan...

when are you taking delivery?

When you do, please let us know your first impressions.
Old 12-13-02, 05:26 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default within a week

I am hoping for Dec 20 but was promised for sure before the holiday.

I am having K40, Lo-Jack, Telephone installed at dealer so that may take a day or so after it arrives.

Can't wait....
Old 12-13-02, 05:29 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: within a week

Originally posted by Knicksfan
I am hoping for Dec 20 but was promised for sure before the holiday.

I am having K40, Lo-Jack, Telephone installed at dealer so that may take a day or so after it arrives.

Can't wait....
How much are they bangin' you for on the K-40? There's a guy in Yonkers and another in the city that do the custom Valentine 1 mount in the rear view mirror...Dealer will most likely bend you over on the K-40 (which isn't very highly rated)

Just a suggestion.
Old 12-13-02, 05:36 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default I've been happy but...

I have generally been satisfied with K40 (It has saved my butt many times)...although I am open to other alternatives. I do like the way the K40 installs out of sight.

At dealer K40 + LJ + HF Phone (using my phone Mot T720) = $2000

Not terrible considering my investigation into local places resulted in K40 ($1000-1200), LJ (500-600), HF (300-600) depending....

It may not be the absolute cheapest but since no one has ever even seen this car yet and therefore has no experience, I prefer to make the dealer responsible for keeping me happy.
Old 12-14-02, 08:15 AM
dwf
Driver School Candidate

Default Knicksfan ...

I appreciate everyones response in regards to color choice. I am sure the charcoal will be fine, just some confusion about what color it really was.

I am supposed to take delivery on the 20th as well. (Dallas, Texas)

I am interested in the phone. I have held off renewing my current plan in anticipation of getting a phone that I could integrate to the GX.

Prices?

Specs?
Old 01-07-03, 06:32 PM
raybeck
Rookie

Default Waiting for GX470 in Texas

I too, am waiting for my GX to arrive. We have been dealing with Sewell Lexus in Fort Worth, TX. We have been assured we can get exactly what we want quicker by getting on the wait list versus a special order. Guess time will tell, we've only been on the wait list 2 weeks now. I want Sand Dollar Pearl with ivory interior and fully loaded right down to the rear spoiler. Has anyone had trouble with the leather not holding up well? I keep reading boards and folks are mentioning that. Kind of concerns me somewhat. I love everything about it, but hope the leather wears well. Would love to hear from some of you lucky guys that already own one. I get confused about the kind of headlights it has...is that such a big deal? Are the front seats really comfortable because that is important to me! Thanks for any info, I appreciate it! I would love to hear anything you have to say about it. Is the darker interior, too dark? Just wondering. My second choice would be the silver pine with the darker interior.
Old 01-07-03, 07:03 PM
dwf
Driver School Candidate

Raybeck -

I bought my GX through Sewell of Ft. Worth (worked with Robert Zanette - great guy). I picked it up on Dec. 19th. When I first called Robert I told him I was on a waiting list at another dealer and was somewhat discouraged about the long lead times. He said just give him a chance and he would come through with a car faster than I ever thought possible. He sure delivered. He called me two days later with a Silver Pine/ Charcoal interior with every option down to the rear spoiler. I originally told him I wanted the SandDollar/Ivory combo so I was somewhat dissapointed at first with the Silver/Charcoal. I did some thinking about it and with some help from this forum I decided to go ahead.

I am glad I did, don't get me wrong the Ivory interior is awesome but I am glad I got the charcoal. After comparing them side by side (with an Ivory demo) I just like the charcoal more. Maybe it is the Silver Pine that goes so well with it. In reality the only thing really charcoal is the dash area, the rest is a grey color. It is not too dark at all. That was a real concern of mine as well.

The seats are very comfortable. I went on a 650 mile round trip three days after I bought it and it was great (in snow and ice noless - what a stud truck!!!). This is my first Lexus but I have had several other cars with leather of similar color (including a 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - I still own it and the seats look brand new) so it should hold up very well. After all this is a LEXUS!!! My wife had a Cadillac with lighter color leather and it held up ok but showed wear a little more than normal.

The headlights as you know are not HID but IMO they work very well. They look physically like HID (except for the blue tint) and I have received comments from people like "I bet you really like those HID's". Oh well, I might swap them out at a later date. IMO it should not be deal killer for anyone.

Overall I would recommend this truck to anyone. Even though it may be a bit pricey

Anyways good luck to you.
Old 01-07-03, 07:20 PM
raybeck
Rookie

Default Thanks for all the information

Thank you so much for all of the information! I really appreciate it! Can't believe you bought your GX from the same place we are dealing with. We may need to give them a call ourselves. We are dealing with Becky, can't remember her last name off the top of my head. I bet you looked at the same demo we did...sand dollar pearl with ivory interior. Beautiful! I may have even seen your GX, the night we were there looking there was a silver pine with charcoal interior waiting to be picked up and I really liked it! I too, probably would chose the darker interior over the ivory except on the sand dollar, I think you need the ivory color. I definately would take the silver pine like you got if we were to get a call! Small world, I am almost positive it was your SUV we saw, I loved it and was told it was already sold. I hope we can get one fully loaded, I figure if you are going to spend that much money, might as well get it loaded! I have never owned a Lexus either, always nice american made cars, lincoln, etc., but I am so anxious to try something different! Good luck with your GX, I know you are loving it!