GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 vs. Sequoia race. This is NOT your average poopy doopy racing clip. :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-13, 07:46 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool GX470 vs. Sequoia race. This is NOT your average poopy doopy racing clip. :)

Woo-Hoo, the snow came last week, so my friend and I took out wife's tracks to play in the snow, and holly #$%^! Did we ever have fun! I was running in a GX470 with 1/2 worn Michelin X-Ice and my buddy was in a 08 Sequoia Plt on brand new Bridgestone Blizzaks. Both cars had difs locked. I also had some seat time in his Sequoia and all I can say is: I want his car . His Sequoia was driving like a sedan on dry pavement, while my GX drove like a violent beast needing a lot of attention and a lot of work to keep the speed (therefore many mistakes made). I'm going to blame my tires for now The Toyota was accelerating, breaking, going through turns much better than my GX. Toyota has the ability to shift gears manually, allowing the driver to break later and providing the driver with optimal rpms and torque through the turn. The T was also faster on a straight way by 13 mi/h. I think it also has a traction control "off" button that I do not. In conclusion: Both cars are snow worthy. Even though, I don't mind a little challenge, the Sequoia is an easier car to drive and control.
Quality of the video varies as two cars had different filming set up. Make sure to adjust the quality to 720p on YouTube, otherwise you won't see the most important half of the video
Please Enjoy:

Old 01-07-13, 08:58 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

That is awesome. I remember you posting a similar video a couple of years back. I wish we had a place like that around here.

All I want to know is, what the hell is that rear-wheel drive 944 doing out there?! LOL
Old 01-07-13, 02:22 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really miss the days of east coast spirited driving in the snow many years ago.
Old 01-07-13, 04:42 PM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great Video!!! I enjoyed it.

I am not very familiar with the latest Toyota Sequoia 4WD system, but my impression was that the Sequoia has a more basic/limited system than the GX470 and the LX/Land Cruiser.
Yet, from your comments, it sounds like the Sequoia was a much more capable truck in the snow.

I wonder if this is simply due to the new Blizzaks being much better than the 50% old X-ice tires, or the newer Toyota Seq is just better in the snow?

My gut feeling tells me that it's all about the tires...but i may be wrong.
Old 01-08-13, 12:22 AM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cssnms
That is awesome. I remember you posting a similar video a couple of years back. I wish we had a place like that around here.

All I want to know is, what the hell is that rear-wheel drive 944 doing out there?! LOL
I did post a similar clip filmed directly from my car a couple of years back, but it hardly depicted the car dynamics. Decided to post this one, as it shows perspective of the GX from another angle, filmed from my buddy's car. As for the 944 and few others who came that day: I guess it was a good practice and good learning experience of the car control in a safe environment. I personally think it should be a must over here for all drivers.

Originally Posted by danmm7
Great Video!!! I enjoyed it.

I am not very familiar with the latest Toyota Sequoia 4WD system, but my impression was that the Sequoia has a more basic/limited system than the GX470 and the LX/Land Cruiser.
Yet, from your comments, it sounds like the Sequoia was a much more capable truck in the snow.

I wonder if this is simply due to the new Blizzaks being much better than the 50% old X-ice tires, or the newer Toyota Seq is just better in the snow?

My gut feeling tells me that it's all about the tires...but i may be wrong.
I am still puzzled, but from what I gathered, the main advantages were that the car could downshift manually and had a "traction off" ability unlike the GX. Not sure how exactly the 4x4 works on a Sequoia, but it does have a center lock, Hi-Lo and, and "vsc off" like us. And of course I noticed that the tires had completely different grip even without downshifting while I drove his car. All and all, I'm surprised that Toyota didn't put extra $500 worth of better material in to the interior( which is already pretty good) and slapped a Lexus logo on to the Sequoia. I'll try to deflate my tires next time to get more grip, and place my gearbox in to 4th gear to avoid the overdrive at critical moments. Any suggestions would be appreciated, including on how to temporally kill traction control
Old 01-08-13, 01:07 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Globalinx
I did post a similar clip filmed directly from my car a couple of years back, but it hardly depicted the car dynamics. Decided to post this one, as it shows perspective of the GX from another angle, filmed from my buddy's car. As for the 944 and few others who came that day: I guess it was a good practice and good learning experience of the car control in a safe environment. I personally think it should be a must over here for all drivers.

I am still puzzled, but from what I gathered, the main advantages were that the car could downshift manually and had a "traction off" ability unlike the GX. Not sure how exactly the 4x4 works on a Sequoia, but it does have a center lock, Hi-Lo and, and "vsc off" like us. And of course I noticed that the tires had completely different grip even without downshifting while I drove his car. All and all, I'm surprised that Toyota didn't put extra $500 worth of better material in to the interior( which is already pretty good) and slapped a Lexus logo on to the Sequoia. I'll try to deflate my tires next time to get more grip, and place my gearbox in to 4th gear to avoid the overdrive at critical moments. Any suggestions would be appreciated, including on how to temporally kill traction control
Actually they did. It's called the Lexus LX 560 now and was the LX 570 last gen. Wish I could find them cheap enough or I would have gotten one.
Old 01-08-13, 01:33 AM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by infinirx
Actually they did. It's called the Lexus LX 560 now and was the LX 570 last gen. Wish I could find them cheap enough or I would have gotten one.
Not sure about the 560 or 570 (never driven in one), but if you are looking for relatively cheap ( I'm gona troll a little) look at 08+ Sequoias. I heard 560 had a flip issue, not very good for me, as almost flipped mine @ 6:46. I don't know, but may be I'm just blinded by the new love.
Old 01-08-13, 02:48 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Globalinx
Not sure about the 560 or 570 (never driven in one), but if you are looking for relatively cheap ( I'm gona troll a little) look at 08+ Sequoias. I heard 560 had a flip issue, not very good for me, as almost flipped mine @ 6:46. I don't know, but may be I'm just blinded by the new love.
The new Lexus LX 560 should be the same as the sequoia you drove there. I dunno maybe a small change or two.

Nah I got the GX 470 and not gonna be looking to change that anytime soon
Old 01-08-13, 04:34 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great video. My guess would be your tires, and the fact that you seem to like "wide open throttle" all of the time. Your buddy was also playing Shania Twain, which I thinks gives him a little bit of an advantage. Both trucks are really beasts in the snow.
Old 01-08-13, 08:55 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Perhaps in this situation the Sequoia "appeared" to be the more confident/stable platform, which makes some sense given its' wider wheel base and weight. However, I do not think a drifting event in the snow is fair represenatation of the GX's offroad prowess. When the going get's tough offroad I would rather be in the GX. IMO, I think the GX is the better 4x4 and I am not just saying that because I own one.

My brother-in-law owned a 2010 Platinum and we travel to the outter banks every year, which includes many trips in the sand. I can tell that even when the diff was locked and low the Sequoia it had trouble climbing a steep and deep sandy incline, in fact they almost got stuck. Where as the GX tackled it without hesitation - in fact I went around him to rub it in.

I agree though Sequoia's are very nice full-size SUV's w/tons of power and good towing capacity to boot - shoot I was considering selling my GX for one.
Old 01-08-13, 09:31 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very cool. I had no idea GX could handle so well in such conditions.
But I think a lot of credit goes to the snow tires. If I do anything like this on my all-seasons, I'd be slipping and sliding in no time.
Old 01-08-13, 02:57 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Great video. I'm sure the owner of the 944 **** himself when he saw you approaching him at 60 mph in his rear view. I have new Michelin LTX MS2 on the rear and 8/32's cross terrains on my front and my truck handles good in the snow although ice and snow mix makes for some white knuckles
Old 01-10-13, 06:00 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Matsui
Very cool. I had no idea GX could handle so well in such conditions.
But I think a lot of credit goes to the snow tires. If I do anything like this on my all-seasons, I'd be slipping and sliding in no time.
Just took the car for maintanance, and found out that my X-ice tires are in fact worn to the condition to perform like an all season tire. They are pretty worn.

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
Great video. I'm sure the owner of the 944 **** himself when he saw you approaching him at 60 mph in his rear view. I have new Michelin LTX MS2 on the rear and 8/32's cross terrains on my front and my truck handles good in the snow although ice and snow mix makes for some white knuckles
Not sure how the guys in other cars felt, but some passes were done at just over 75 on my GX and up to 90 mph on a Sequoia on a straight way. Last year a couple in Mini, refused to be on the same track with me, complained to the stuff that I was pushing them and went home.
Old 03-03-17, 11:24 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by infinirx
those are not the same. The layout of 08+ Sequoia Platinum is way different and more pealing to me than the LX cars, aside from the plasticy interior. LX feels smaller inside...
Old 03-04-17, 06:31 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

(still can't watch the video, since it seems to be blocked for the US)

Chip H.