GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Extreme cold caused alarm to go off?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-19, 08:09 AM
Lexor2006
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme cold caused alarm to go off?

I have a 2006 gx 193k miles. This is the first winter we’ve owned it. This morning we woke to the alarm going off. It was an unusual 5 degrees outside. I checked and all doors were locked, and dome lights on. I hit key fob and unlocked/disarmed. Then later when my wife drove it, she said dome lights stayed on till she manually switched to off. Anyone heard of cold causing these issues?
Old 01-31-19, 02:16 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Yup, been through this. For me it was the rear hatch sensor, in the cold things would contract and the rear hatch would show as open, causing the dome light to come on when accelerating, and when sitting in the cold which caused the alarm to go off, it was a real PITA! Replaced the switch, it wasn't expensive I don't think, and it hasn't been a problem since.
Old 02-09-19, 12:27 PM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Alarm going off in 5 degrees

Was skiing for five days and it was zero to 10 degrees each night and the alarm went off. Looked on the internet and it appears this commonly happens so I pulled out and unplugged the back door switch and the alarm did not go off on subsequent nights. Thank goodness that was an easy temporary fix as 5 degrees with the car in the open with wind just is not conductive to troubleshooting. It was relieving that by unplugging the switch the problem was solved for the time being. The switch itself looked physically ok but who knows what the contacts that you can see look like. The switch itself looked new, . I suppose it could be the slamming of the rear door. I ordered two switches, one to replace the rear door and one for the drivers door which would be the door that receives the most opening and closing. Seems to me this should be a maintenance item perhaps every ten years. .

What led me to solution was the dome light would go on when the alarm went off.
Old 02-09-19, 05:20 PM
Lexor2006
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aljodoro
Was skiing for five days and it was zero to 10 degrees each night and the alarm went off. Looked on the internet and it appears this commonly happens so I pulled out and unplugged the back door switch and the alarm did not go off on subsequent nights. Thank goodness that was an easy temporary fix as 5 degrees with the car in the open with wind just is not conductive to troubleshooting. It was relieving that by unplugging the switch the problem was solved for the time being. The switch itself looked physically ok but who knows what the contacts that you can see look like. The switch itself looked new, . I suppose it could be the slamming of the rear door. I ordered two switches, one to replace the rear door and one for the drivers door which would be the door that receives the most opening and closing. Seems to me this should be a maintenance item perhaps every ten years. .

What led me to solution was the dome light would go on when the alarm went off.
thanks for replies, yep it warmed up slightly, and haven’t had a problem since. It is a Miami car lol. It doesn’t like cold
Old 02-13-19, 10:29 AM
childerj
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes! If it's cold the dome lights will come on even when all the doors are closed. Came out to the alarm going off one night. I thought it was the rear hatch door swithc but had not verified.