GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Used Gx 470 or Used Land Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-12, 01:33 PM
stevobentz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Gx 470 or Used Land Cruiser

Hey Guys,

I'm debating whether to get a 2007 Land Cruiser (the face-lift ones) or a 2005 Gx 470. I do not do offroading more than once a year. I live in LA, non stop traffic to and from work. I do also drive through many bad areas. I want something super reliable. The LC is most likely going to have around 100k miles, the GX around 80k. The prices are pretty similar, but for some reason i see the LC holding its value since they are more rare and a higher demand. I just want a nice, smooth driving car like the GX (have not and can not find a LC to test drive yet). There have been numerous threads about this but they were from years ago. Any advice as to which is better and why in your opinion? I know LC may have a few less systems than the Lexus, which means less will go wrong. Any input is appreciated! Cheers!
Old 11-20-12, 01:58 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Have you thought about the LX?
Old 11-20-12, 02:05 PM
Lumbergh
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We considered both.

I wanted a Land Cruiser / Lexus LX, wife was set on GX.

Happy wife is a happy life.

However, I will say that there is MUCH better inventory for the GX.

I love the Cruiser, but they are hard to find. And a low miles LC is near impossible. People never seem to let them go.
Old 11-20-12, 02:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

you in some way pay a "premium" on LC because of reasons you stated. with gx you have more choices

and both of them are super reliable imho
Old 11-20-12, 03:50 PM
stevobentz
Driver School Candidate

As far as reliability electronics wise such as windows, suspension, etc. will the LC be better long term? The LC is that much more exclusive since they are rare IMO. Is a 105k LC at the same price as a 80K mile GX pretty much equivalent? Is 25k miles a huge difference as long as it was taken care of? I know the 2UZ engine has proven to do 300k+ easily, and i know the GX is not that old and the are the same engine, but i have yet to see a great condition High Mileage GX on the market..
Old 11-20-12, 04:07 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

IMHO, the LC and LX keeps value better than the GX. But heck, all 3 are Toyota's.
Old 11-20-12, 04:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

LC and LX will keep value a bit better so to speak, but imho once they get into the 100-120k miles range, that's getting close to the bottom line. a lot of GX are used by family to haul kids that's why most of their conditions are "worse" imho
Old 11-20-12, 04:51 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go with the LC, avoid the stealerships! Some may argue that you can take the GX to a Toyota dear ships for maintenance and repairs, but the Toyota guys service Toyotas everyday not Lexuses.
Old 11-24-12, 02:00 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides all of the other advise, the LC is bigger, like the LX, and wil be less mpg, when you are setting in traffic. Test drive both. I wanted a LC before buying my GX. I didn't pull the trigger on a LC with 48,000 miles and have been waiting two years, to find one with low mileage. No luck. Nobody seems to get rid of their LC till about 200,000 miles.
Old 11-24-12, 12:16 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The exterior of the LX470 is a timeless design. Classic elegance. I'd love to have one; too bad the acquisition price is so high ... seemingly regardless of age and mileage. It's a rig that I've admired for so long that it's almost silly! And I still do.

The interior on the LX470 is another matter. While it's not bad, I think it's dated and lacks many modern amenities offered in other cars and Lexus. No dual climate control. Older navi than comparable GX. Switch to move your exterior radio antenna higher and lower. No A/C seats. Flip down 3rd row set-up was borrowed from the original '60's FJ. Tape deck! Etc, etc, etc.

Here's some info on the LC vs LX:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx4...and-lx470.html
Old 11-26-12, 06:14 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you can find a newer LC for around the same amount as an '05 GX, Id take the LC. Before I bought my '05 GX I looked for a LC but even LCs 2-3yrs older were more than my '05GX.
Old 11-26-12, 06:40 AM
EricGreen
Driver School Candidate

I was in the same boat about a year ago, it's so hard to find a good used Land Cruiser, many more GX's on the market. Since I bought my GX I have looked over LX's and Land Cruisers closely to try to figure out what I am missing out on...it all must be under the skin because on the outside and interior - they seem to be the same. I think the GX will bring you the satisfaction you are looking for, especially when it comes to making the wife happy
Old 11-26-12, 12:59 PM
pgsandiego
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went through the same used "LX or GX" decision a few years ago. I was looking at 2003-2005's. The final decision was a GX. The deciding points towards the GX for me were:

1) The 2005 GX looked more modern/newer (2003-5 LX was looking pretty dated in comparison)
2) The GX has better gas mileage.
3) Many more used GX's available to choose from so I could find a clean one and could negotiate pretty hard for it knowing there were more around = better price.
Old 11-27-12, 02:40 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

I'd go for the GX
Old 11-29-12, 05:53 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Default An interesting thing about the LC

The reason why there are very few LX or LCs on the used market is because they are sold out of the country. I was dealing with a wholesaler two years ago and he said there's a huge market for them oversees, so the LC is really holding its value at the moment because of it. According to him the GX may be the next popular one to ship out, once the LCs are almost depleted.

Not sure if this is worth anything, but for now, the GXs trade in value is absolute crap, so if you're going to buy a GX, make sure you offer the dealer at least 5K less than asking. If you can get the LX, it may be a good investment , if the foreign market stays excited, but you'll still need a wholesaler or broker to sell it for you.

I have an 03 in super nice shape with 103K. I had a couple of stealerships quote me 10K on trade and CorMax offered 13K. Looking at the inventory on line, there isn't one in my mileage range listed for under 17, so the dealers are making a killing on them.

Just a few things worth mentioning. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Used Gx 470 or Used Land Cruiser