GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear air suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-12, 08:16 PM
GXEnforcer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rear air suspension.

So my rear air suspension just want out, i'm assuming that my air bags have a leak or a hole because the air compressor shut its self off. i'm thinking of just getting rid of the air system completely and just putting on some good shocks and leveling it out. Id like some advice and thoughts on this issue.
Old 11-15-12, 09:45 AM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Search is your best friend. There are many threads on this topic.

See this one:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...replacing.html
Old 11-15-12, 10:19 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GXEnforcer
So my rear air suspension just want out, i'm assuming that my air bags have a leak or a hole because the air compressor shut its self off. i'm thinking of just getting rid of the air system completely and just putting on some good shocks and leveling it out. Id like some advice and thoughts on this issue.
I am not sure I follow.... The compressor should shut itself off after the bags inflate. If there is a hole/leak it would require the compressor to run much longer to reach proper inflation.

What happens when you set your rear suspension setting to "high?" Does the compressor kick on and raise the rear then shut off after it reaches max height? - that's what it shoudl do. It should take approx 15 to 20 seconds for the compressor to raise your trucks rear to max height before the compressor kicks off and the light on your dash stops blinking.

There are a few people on here that have converted their rear air suspension to standard shocks. I believe Bilstein makes a shock for the GX check JC Whitney. Do a "search."

Personally I would never not want the rear leveling suspension. It keeps the truck balanced, when under load or when towing, which improves driveability. You might also consider the resale implications - leveling suspesnion is a popular feature on new suv's.
Old 11-15-12, 11:46 AM
GXEnforcer
Driver School Candidate

At first the compressor would take anywhere from 45 sec to 1min to fully inflate the rear, but once i got going at about 5 to 10 mi it would lose the air and the ride would go to crap fast.
Old 11-15-12, 01:49 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GXEnforcer
At first the compressor would take anywhere from 45 sec to 1min to fully inflate the rear, but once i got going at about 5 to 10 mi it would lose the air and the ride would go to crap fast.
To clarify,,, were you trying to raise the rear suspension to the highest position and then trying to drive around like that? FYI - you cannot drive around in the "raised" position.

It certainly sounds like it's taking a bit longer than it should to inflate the bags - 1 min is getting up there.

Let me ask you this,,, Is your truck sitting level or does it appear to be sagging in the rear and do you notice the compressor kicking on and off a lot in order to keep it level?

Have tried raising the rear to maximum height and letting it sit for 10 minutes to see if it loses height or if the compressor has to kick on to keep it up?

A bad ride could also mean you just have bad shocks. If you raise the rear to the max height, then drive, the truck will level out to the "normal" position/height at which point your shocks are going to impact your ride more than anything UNLESS the rear of your truck just starts sagging to the point where you are riding around on the bump stops.

Last edited by cssnms; 11-15-12 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-15-12, 02:55 PM
brycejaq
Driver

I'm about to do this as well. My front struts are leaking, and apparently there is no aftermarket replacement part to swap with the 200+ each struts. I found this kit online that looks like a much better alternative to replacing any of the ridiculously expensive air suspension parts. http://www.strutmasters.com/Lexus-GX...gx470-r1-s.htm
Old 11-15-12, 05:28 PM
jmwmnl
Driver School Candidate

I found this while searching for replacement air suspension parts. I'm leaning heavily toward it this Christmas. King OEM 2.5 replacement suspension. http://www.filthymotorsports.com/Pro...2D261&CartID=1
Old 11-15-12, 06:57 PM
GXEnforcer
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by cssnms
To clarify,,, were you trying to raise the rear suspension to the highest position and then trying to drive around like that? FYI - you cannot drive around in the "raised" position.

It certainly sounds like it's taking a bit longer than it should to inflate the bags - 1 min is getting up there.

Let me ask you this,,, Is your truck sitting level or does it appear to be sagging in the rear and do you notice the compressor kicking on and off a lot in order to keep it level?

Have tried raising the rear to maximum height and letting it sit for 10 minutes to see if it loses height or if the compressor has to kick on to keep it up?

A bad ride could also mean you just have bad shocks. If you raise the rear to the max height, then drive, the truck will level out to the "normal" position/height at which point your shocks are going to impact your ride more than anything UNLESS the rear of your truck just starts sagging to the point where you are riding around on the bump stops.

Chris: i understand that you cant drive the truck with the suspension in the highest setting, and yes its sagging in the rear, and no the compressor doesn't start up all.

And to the other guys that left a post thanks for the links.