GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Recommendations for Snow & Ice Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-12, 10:40 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommendations for Snow & Ice Tires?

Hi All,

Winter will be here shortly and I'd like to start budgeting for snow & ice tires and some wheels to go along with them. Tire Rack shows five different tires for the OEM wheel size (265/65R-17):

General Altimax Arctic
Goodyear Ultra Grip SUV
Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT SUV
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1
Michelin Latitude X-Ice XI2

I live and drive around the Puget Sound Area (Seattle, WA) and go up and through the mountain passes several times during the winter and into British Columbia.

I'm leaning towards the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1's, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions, comments, feedback, experiences, etc. -- I currently have Michelin LTX M/S2's on but would like to save them for the Spring/Summer/Fall months.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 09-07-12, 08:32 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kermee
Hi All,

Winter will be here shortly and I'd like to start budgeting for snow & ice tires and some wheels to go along with them. Tire Rack shows five different tires for the OEM wheel size (265/65R-17):

General Altimax Arctic
Goodyear Ultra Grip SUV

I live and drive around the Puget Sound Area (Seattle, WA) and go up and through the mountain passes several times during the winter and into British Columbia.

I'm leaning towards the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1's, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions, comments, feedback, experiences, etc. -- I currently have Michelin LTX M/S2's on but would like to save them for the Spring/Summer/Fall months.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Kermee
I'm running the x-ice Michelin; have had cross terrains and dunlops previously on the truck.

I don't love the way the x-ices drive on dry pavement, but they do seem to have an edge on snow/ice, though a pretty darn small one compared to the cross terrains. I've run them all summer, and plan to wear them out this winter.

I'll probably switch to the ltx m/s2's year-round after the Michelins are done. I typically run two sets of wheels per year, but I downsized to one set for the GX.
Old 09-08-12, 01:22 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Kermee
Hi All,

General Altimax Arctic
Goodyear Ultra Grip SUV

!

Thanks!

Cheers,
Kermee

Vredestein wintertrac 4 extremes...the winter of 2010-11 here in the northeast was the worst in years, was 30 miles from home in a blizzard, with four of us in the truck, must have been 10 inches of unplowed snow on the roads the entire ride, when we got home we were amazed how truck and tires worked, passed many stuck 4x4,s on e road and it was late at night. Getting stuck was not an option