GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Why is my GX a ding, dent & scratch magnet?

Old 09-05-12, 10:54 AM
azsmokey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is my GX a ding, dent & scratch magnet?

Hi all. We have had our 2006 GX for 3 years and we love the vehicle. However, since we bought it, it appears to me that people have gone out of their way to ding, dent and scratch it. We bought it as CPO and every body panel was straight and free of any blemishes. Now I swear every panel has multiple scratches. There are more on the front passenger door than on our two previous Tundra's combined... And those were driven off-road quite a bit

It is just quite irritating that people don't respect other people's property. I was inside the GX once when a lady got out of her POS 90's Tahoe and opened the door into my front passenger side door, with some force might add, and didn't even bat an eye or look to see if there was any damage. I rolled the window down and introduced myself politely, she said "whoops" and walked away...

Rant over

To those of you out there with detailing experience, please enlighten me on the protocol and procedure of proper buffing and scratch removal technique. Are there any good web sites out there with write ups or vids? Probably 65-70% of the scraches and dings go beyond the clear, and most of those through the paint. I just bought a decent variable speed buffer but am not sure about what bonnets to use, compounds and what order to use them. Any help, input and/or advice would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-05-12, 01:53 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

People are just jealous that you own a Lexus, so they have to be mean by damaging your vehicle.
Old 09-05-12, 02:21 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

A common ailment? Definitely a common problem.

Even though we haven't added any dings, dents or scratches to our '08 since we bought it in May, it had plenty already. I wound up buying a bottle of touch-up paint and it matched perfectly--so now they're harder to see.

I agree that people don't have any respect for other's property, and also agree that any Lexus seems to attract more dings than say--a Honda.
Old 09-05-12, 11:10 PM
SirSkrip
Rookie

My Black 03 GX470 looks great from afar when clean... but once you get close it has blemishes and scratches all over. It scratches to easily now, seriously, with anything just about. I understand your pain and it pisses me off too. If I have a plastic cup and it happens to rub on the body, I know it will leave a little scratch. Must be age of the car... too much sun? Who knows...
Old 09-06-12, 08:18 PM
ourlee
Driver School Candidate

you guys park with the sheeple and complain when the sheeple you park with act like sheeple. walk your fat A to the outskirts, you know you need it.
Old 09-07-12, 01:18 PM
azsmokey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ourlee
you guys park with the sheeple and complain when the sheeple you park with act like sheeple. walk your fat A to the outskirts, you know you need it.
Actually, I park away from the majority of vehicles intentionally so as to avoid the aforementioned damage. Don't insult without prior knowledge. I served this country in the special operations community for over a decade and am not a fat A! Mind your manners of don't pollute threads.
Old 09-08-12, 07:05 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You need a better parking lot strategy.
Don't put yourself in a situation where you're likely to get dinged.
Combat err parking awareness.
Old 09-08-12, 09:59 AM
CruiserGX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's why I always look for end spots or wide parking spots.
Old 09-08-12, 01:51 PM
ourlee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by azsmokey
Actually, I park away from the majority of vehicles intentionally so as to avoid the aforementioned damage. Don't insult without prior knowledge. I served this country in the special operations community for over a decade and am not a fat A! Mind your manners of don't pollute threads.
First thank you for your service, sincerely. Second I was and almost always am just kidding you. I don't have any dings on any of my rides cause I avoid parking next to people. My opinion is you get dinged cause you allow yourself to get dinged.

Fit in NJ
Old 09-10-12, 06:25 AM
Corgitoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

azsmokey: Interesting re your scratch/ding magnet observation for the GX.
In a few days I'll take ownership of a GX (2007) for the first time.
When I recently asked a GX owner how she likes her vehicle she made the same observation about the scratches. Her theory is that teens do it intentionally. In my humble opinion it's probably not just teens who do the damage, it's aduts too. Hate to say it but a bit of jealousy might be involved. Pretty sad if that's the case.

PS - I'm a Canadian but I also sincerely thank you for your service in special operations.
Old 09-10-12, 03:23 PM
ourlee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Corgitoy
azsmokey: Interesting re your scratch/ding magnet observation for the GX.
In a few days I'll take ownership of a GX (2007) for the first time.
When I recently asked a GX owner how she likes her vehicle she made the same observation about the scratches. Her theory is that teens do it intentionally. In my humble opinion it's probably not just teens who do the damage, it's aduts too. Hate to say it but a bit of jealousy might be involved. Pretty sad if that's the case.

PS - I'm a Canadian but I also sincerely thank you for your service in special operations.
Guys I really think you're over doing the whole "I'm a pimp cause I own a Lexus" thing. The 470 is a Lexus, but its not a LEXUS, see what I mean?