GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

charging system warning light on?

Old 08-31-12, 08:17 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default charging system warning light on?

Noticed the warning indicator on dash,linage of a battery, this morning. Thought maybe battery needed to be replaced? So got replacement battery and installed it, but warning light still on. Ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks.
Old 08-31-12, 10:16 AM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you get your alternator checked for proper operation? If not, you may be damaging that brand new battery too.
Old 08-31-12, 11:50 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSS
did you get your alternator checked for proper operation? If not, you may be damaging that brand new battery too.
Chances are your alternator is not charging the battery, so you'll want to drive to a shop/dealership that's preferably nearby, and keep you AC and other accessories off so that you have enough juice to get there (in case it is the alternator isn't charging).
Old 08-31-12, 12:49 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 09-01-12, 07:59 AM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same situation a few months back and had to replace the alternator. Luckily I was able to get home when my whole navigation system kept turning off and on whenever i hit the brakes.
Old 09-01-12, 08:01 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Reset the ECU to rid the light and see if it comes back...if it does, your alternator is probably the issue.
Old 09-01-12, 02:51 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Reset the ECU to rid the light and see if it comes back...if it does, your alternator is probably the issue.

Is "resetting the ECU" just a matter of disconnecting the battery?
Old 09-01-12, 04:40 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it would be beneficial to go get it checked
Old 09-01-12, 05:08 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Booyah
I think it would be beneficial to go get it checked
Absolutely, got an. Appointment for other work next Tuesday and will have this Checked
Old 09-01-12, 06:33 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocks
Absolutely, got an. Appointment for other work next Tuesday and will have this Checked
Great. I'm assuming you won't be driving it between now and then? If your alternator is not charging, the truck will shut down on you if you drive it long.
Old 09-01-12, 08:31 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Disconnecting the negative battery cable will reset the ECU. As well as pulling the fuse.
Old 09-02-12, 04:03 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Disconnecting the negative battery cable will reset the ECU. As well as pulling the fuse.
Thanks, I will try it.
Old 09-02-12, 06:32 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The charging system light is not a light that is triggered by a code set in the ECU - it is triggered by low charging voltage or low system voltage - when the problem goes away, so does the light.

If the vehicle has a new battery that is good, all of your grounds are proper and fuses are in good condition (including the alternator or main fuse), then, pretty much the only other alternative is the alternator... I would park the truck until I was ready to get it checked or fixed.

There is an easy quick check you can do in your driveway with a simple voltmeter... Start the truck, put the voltmeter leads on the battery terminals. less than 13 volts, faulty alternator, more than 14.5 volts, faulty alternator - those two are dead giveaways... between the two, the alternator could still be bad, just not putting out enough amperage...
Old 09-02-12, 10:44 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
The charging system light is not a light that is triggered by a code set in the ECU - it is triggered by low charging voltage or low system voltage - when the problem goes away, so does the light.

If the vehicle has a new battery that is good, all of your grounds are proper and fuses are in good condition (including the alternator or main fuse), then, pretty much the only other alternative is the alternator... I would park the truck until I was ready to get it checked or fixed.

There is an easy quick check you can do in your driveway with a simple voltmeter... Start the truck, put the voltmeter leads on the battery terminals. less than 13 volts, faulty alternator, more than 14.5 volts, faulty alternator - those two are dead giveaways... between the two, the alternator could still be bad, just not putting out enough amperage...
Seems like it's the alternator. Kind of disappointed that this would need replacing with only 71K on an 06 GX. I've had Hondas and Acuras, all with over 150K miles on them and never had to replace their alternators. One would expect a GX to have a heavy duty alternator? Oh well...
Old 09-02-12, 10:48 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocks
Seems like it's the alternator. Kind of disappointed that this would need replacing with only 71K on an 06 GX. I've had Hondas and Acuras, all with over 150K miles on them and never had to replace their alternators. One would expect a GX to have a heavy duty alternator? Oh well...
unfortunately, all alternators are built pretty much the same... that being said, 71k is not terribly long, but things happen... main cause for alternators going bad is some sort of fluid contaminating them... most alternators on Toyota vehicles go 200k plus, same as Hondas and Acuras, but, they still go bad...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: charging system warning light on?