GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Gx470 Electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-12, 08:25 PM
Whaler16
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gx470 Electrical problem

Hi I am new the forum this is my first post. I have a 2003 GX 470 with 119,000 miles today the car would not lock with the remote we have two remotes and neither would work none of the doors locked. When we got back in to leave the car was dark the following items would not work until we turned the key on interior lights, locks, head lights when we started car it started fine but we had the following the VSC off light and VSC light was on, these items weren't working power mirrors , the drivers window button was flashing would go down but not without holding button, power seats worked but lost memory, when you turn car off and remove key the tilt wheel does not move the clock lost it's memory . The car does not have any after market alarms , I checked the connections on battery very clean and tight ground looks good and battery passed load test I have not had time to look at anything else any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-24-12, 05:16 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still sounds like battery problem/ wiring. If you loose voltage, like changing a battery, you have to reprogram everyting. Running ever window up and down, sun roof. reprogram seat memory.
Old 08-24-12, 06:15 AM
Whaler16
Driver School Candidate

Yeah it does sound like it is loosing its memory, but the car starts fine and the battery passed the load check i have my own load tester from snap on tools it held up to the load just fine. Its strange the car is dark without the key on certain things work like brake lights which are bright and flashers but thats it no other lights then with key on without starting the car all lights will come on bright and the car starts without hesitation but still has the problems mentioned in my post . with car running i ran the driver window up and down it fixed the one touch feater then when turned car off it lost it again . i have not had any time to look at it yet but will this weekend.
Old 08-24-12, 07:57 AM
Vims
Rookie

What I would do
- disconnect battery and clean contacts
- check and reset all fuses
- put everything back and start troubleshooting.
It could be loose contact somewhere
Old 08-24-12, 06:49 PM
Whaler16
Driver School Candidate

I had some time to look at and found the ECU-B 10A fuse blown. This fuse has to be pulled out to see that it is blown. Everything started working as it should. Finding out what caused it will be challenging it sends power to several things like the body ECU , power mirror ECU, power tilt and telescopic wheel ECU, transponder key computer I won't list them all I will look it over the best I can and if it blows again might star unplugging ECU controls one at a time to try and isolate.
Old 08-24-12, 07:21 PM
tz693
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Good finding! Thanks for sharing. It could be a current surge during the start up. Anyway, get a spare and keep an eye on it.
Old 08-27-14, 11:45 AM
Chazb
Driver School Candidate

Default electrical issues

[QUOTE=Whaler16;7444479]I had some time to look at and found the ECU-B 10A fuse blown. This fuse has to be pulled out to see that it is blown. Everything started working as it should. Finding out what caused it will be challenging it sends power to several things like the body ECU , power mirror ECU, power tilt and telescopic wheel ECU, transponder key computer I won't list them all I will look it over the best I can and if it blows again might star unplugging ECU controls one at a time to try and isolate.[/QUOTE
I also have the same issue. I checked the fuse box and found one fuse partially blown. It's the ecumenical b fuse. I want to know if it can also be the relay switch that is blown
Old 08-27-14, 12:01 PM
Chazb
Driver School Candidate

Default electrical issues

I started my car and noticed the the vsc Trac vsc light were on. I also noticed my steering wheel would not automatically move down after inserting the key. The seat me memory was not responsive and the radio/cd does not work at all. Side mirrors aren't working and cabin light do not come on. I have read an early forum where I was told it could possibly be a ECU fuse. Need advice be free I start through money away.
Old 08-28-14, 07:14 PM
lepoch
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My fuze blew too...the driver side mirror would short when I put the transmission into reverse which made the mirror autotilt down... It was hard to replicate since the fuze only blew twice...on days where it was about 100 degrees outside.
Old 08-29-14, 06:26 AM
adr5
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Whaler16
Hi I am new the forum this is my first post. I have a 2003 GX 470 with 119,000 miles today the car would not lock with the remote we have two remotes and neither would work none of the doors locked. When we got back in to leave the car was dark the following items would not work until we turned the key on interior lights, locks, head lights when we started car it started fine but we had the following the VSC off light and VSC light was on, these items weren't working power mirrors , the drivers window button was flashing would go down but not without holding button, power seats worked but lost memory, when you turn car off and remove key the tilt wheel does not move the clock lost it's memory . The car does not have any after market alarms , I checked the connections on battery very clean and tight ground looks good and battery passed load test I have not had time to look at anything else any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
I have the exact same story. This is my sister inlaws car, not mine. It is a 2007 GX470. She called me to tell me the GPS was dead and she couldn't lock the doors. I figured out what fuse had blown, #27 . I replaced it with the handy spare that comes with the car. I figured it would be a good idea to go get some spares just in case. Sure enough, on the way to the car parts store while I was adjusting the mirrors, the fuse blew again. My sister inlaw said when she was driving the car she wasn't using any of the items on this circuit, except for the AC and GPS screen which always stay on. One thing I did notice is when I replace the fuse I got a pretty good spark. That tells me something is drawing a lot of current through that circuit when the car is off.

Anyone else have this happen and figure out what the cause of the problem was?
Old 08-29-14, 06:28 AM
adr5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lepoch
My fuze blew too...the driver side mirror would short when I put the transmission into reverse which made the mirror autotilt down... It was hard to replicate since the fuze only blew twice...on days where it was about 100 degrees outside.
How did you fix the problem? Did you have to replace the mirrors? Something else?
Old 11-14-14, 09:56 AM
UGAdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Default Please post updates, same problem here!

I have a 2005 Lexus GX470 and all of the sudden the VSC TRAC, VCS OFF, and AIRBAG light is on....but not the CHECK ENGINE light. The radio works fine on the screen but if I hit MAP or DEST it goes blank. The clock resets to 1:00 every time the key is removed. The power windows are no longer working except the drivers window. The key will not wirelessly unlock or lock the doors.

Please help me and let me know what ended up being the fixes or issues on those of you that have had this same issue.
The following users liked this post:
engVladi (07-24-18)
Old 11-18-14, 10:04 AM
adr5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UGAdaddy
I have a 2005 Lexus GX470 and all of the sudden the VSC TRAC, VCS OFF, and AIRBAG light is on....but not the CHECK ENGINE light. The radio works fine on the screen but if I hit MAP or DEST it goes blank. The clock resets to 1:00 every time the key is removed. The power windows are no longer working except the drivers window. The key will not wirelessly unlock or lock the doors.

Please help me and let me know what ended up being the fixes or issues on those of you that have had this same issue.
IIRC, check fuse 27. It's under the hood. That will get everything to work again, but you still need to figure out what caused the fuse to blow in the first place. I was not able to figure it out, but the fuse hasn't blown again. I believe it is related to the AC, but I am not sure.
The following users liked this post:
lunchbox17 (06-23-20)
Old 05-26-15, 09:22 AM
adr5
Driver School Candidate

Default found the cause

Hi,
I found the cause. The problem is with one of the outside mirrors, I haven't figured out which one just yet. In our case the problem was mostly occurring when putting the car into reverse. The mirror tilt down function would cause the fuse to blow. My sister inlaw also said the passenger side mirror would click a lot when the car was in reverse. So my guess is that that one is the problem. I will verify that in the next couple of days and then take things apart to see if I can see any obvious problems. I looked around and it looks like I can get an entire, non-lexus, mirror assembly for less than $70. I would just pull the motor out of that as I don't want to deal with painting the housing.
Old 05-27-15, 04:08 AM
new2012jee
Rookie

Originally Posted by adr5
Hi,
I found the cause. The problem is with one of the outside mirrors, I haven't figured out which one just yet. In our case the problem was mostly occurring when putting the car into reverse. The mirror tilt down function would cause the fuse to blow. My sister inlaw also said the passenger side mirror would click a lot when the car was in reverse. So my guess is that that one is the problem. I will verify that in the next couple of days and then take things apart to see if I can see any obvious problems. I looked around and it looks like I can get an entire, non-lexus, mirror assembly for less than $70. I would just pull the motor out of that as I don't want to deal with painting the housing.
I believe mirror tilting down in reverse is a feature/option, put mirror switch to middle or neutral to disable.

Quick Reply: Gx470 Electrical problem