GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Blown engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-21, 05:23 PM
Paulhgxrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blown engine?

So I bought a 2008 gx470 for my wife for Christmas. I knew when I bought it that the timing belt was past due. Since the dealer I bought it from was a couple of hours away I got it done at my local toyota dealer yesterday. They did the timing belt, tensioner, idler and the water pump. Between last night and today we drove it a total of maybe 50 miles max. Today my wife pulled in the driveway with steam billowing from under the hood. I ran over and told her to shut it off immediately and i saw that the dash lights were lite up like a Christmas tree. When I popped the hood there was radiator fluid EVERYWHERE and I noticed that the upper radiator hose at the radiator side was off and the hose clamp was black real far as if the tech never slide it back over the lip after putting the hose back on.When I felt the lower hose and the radiator they were both cold to the touch. Not warm at all. The thermostat housing was EXTREMELY 🔥 the dealer had a tow truck come and I kinda told him what happened. I asked to ride with him to the dealership and when I went inside to get my shoes he tried to start it 4 times since (he thought) it was in a inconvenient spot to put it on the flat bed.🤦‍♂️ it cranked each time but didn't turn over. Needless to say it's at the dealer and they apparently don't have anyone to look at it until Monday. So I'm really worried it has a cracked head or something and radiator fluid is in the block. I know I need to be firm with them in making sure it gets fixed correctly. First thing is a pressure test I suppose. Any thoughts would be appreciated. It has 186,000 miles on it BTW and ran perfect before this. I also have a 2004 gx470 with 225,000 miles and a 2009 rx350 with 111,000 miles.
Old 01-15-21, 09:05 PM
Paulhgxrx
Driver School Candidate

Yes that is correct.
Old 01-16-21, 06:49 AM
mntntrls71
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I believe you mean it cranked but would not start. First I would contact the shop that did the original work and before you do I would write every event down on paper so you have a bit of documentation and be ready to go to court. These engines are tough but if a head gasket is blown, it shouldnt be to bad for the dealer to fix. I would have them check all the work. I would stop using that shop. Doesnt sound like you pulled the dipstick but if you did? You would see water in the oil. It will look like chocolate milk. And if it made its way through the head? It would blow white smoke out of the tail pipe. I would also educate the wife on watching her dash lights more and to emediately shut the rig off if something like this happens.
Old 01-16-21, 09:19 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

So starter engaged, but the engine did not turn over?
That's a really bad sign after an overheat.

Chip H.
The following users liked this post:
Paulhgxrx (01-16-21)
Old 01-16-21, 12:18 PM
Paulhgxrx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mntntrls71
I believe you mean it cranked but would not start. First I would contact the shop that did the original work and before you do I would write every event down on paper so you have a bit of documentation and be ready to go to court. These engines are tough but if a head gasket is blown, it shouldnt be to bad for the dealer to fix. I would have them check all the work. I would stop using that shop. Doesnt sound like you pulled the dipstick but if you did? You would see water in the oil. It will look like chocolate milk. And if it made its way through the head? It would blow white smoke out of the tail pipe. I would also educate the wife on watching her dash lights more and to emediately shut the rig off if something like this happens.
yes "turn over" is the same as "start". As I said in my original post I contacted the Toyota dealership that did the work and they had it towed there within 30 minutes. They are very well known as a good shop and i usually do all auto work myself so I don't usually go to any shop. I also took it there because I know if there is an issue the owner owns a bunch of dealerships in the area and they are more eager to resolve issues. I pulled the dip stick but just because there isn't a noticeable problem doesn't mean there isn't one. The wife didn't immediately pull over because the temp gauge only went slightly higher and no temp light came on.
Old 01-16-21, 12:37 PM
Paulhgxrx
Driver School Candidate

So the dealer sent a courtesy van to pick me up this morning and they had already reconnected to hose and filled the radiator up. The master tech said they warmed it up and drove it. They tried to leave it at that but I asked them to do a compression test for all cylinders. It checked out good. Then I asked if a leak down test should be done to check if the head gasket has any leaks. They were confident that wasn't necessary but said if I get an independent shop to do it and if there is an issue they would reimburse me and perform any necessary work at no charge. My buddy has everything to do a leak down test so I'm going to do that this week. It runs as good as it did before so it hopefully I dodged a bullet. I'm going to run it a ton over the next few weeks and the GM there said if I have any issues to bring it back immediately. 🙏🤞
The following users liked this post:
RPH74 (01-16-21)
Old 01-18-21, 06:57 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

The engine was still full of water and it was picking up heat and spewing out.
Yep, you dodged that bullet.
What was dealer actual fix to get it running again?
Old 01-18-21, 07:11 PM
Paulhgxrx
Driver School Candidate

So the tech said it started right up for him the morning after I had it towed there. He said he pulled it in the bay, reconnected the hose, clamped it properly and filled the system with coolant. Then he drove it until it came up to temp and then let it idled for awhile and determined that all was good. Its been running fine but a couple people suggest I do a leak down test. My wife swears that the temp gage only went up about a quarter of an inch higher than normal.
Old 01-19-21, 01:09 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Hopefully you dodged a bullet. I would ask them for a 50K mile warranty on that engine. If they refuse you need to contact Toyota corporate office. In 2011 I bought an 08' LS460 with 38K miles. It was a CPO. Bought it in NJ.. Took it home to PA where I live and dropped it off at Lexus for a state inspection. Got the call that all control arms were shot. It was the first used car I bought in my life without putting it on a rack. I was so pissed. They did the work but I called Lexus corporate and got a $500 dealer credit and a 3 year extension on my CPO warranty. Just call and be firm not mean but firm and tell them what you want.
Old 01-20-21, 05:21 PM
dblshock
Driver

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

A '08 Subaru would be junked after that.
Old 01-20-21, 05:56 PM
amora308
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your wife did well observing the temperature gauge! Based on the fact it didn’t shut down on its own and the decent observed temperature you are probably just fine, and it’s running well now. Also, since the radiator and lower hose was not hot the fluid may have been spraying on the exhaust manifold creating the steam, i.e., not because it was actually overheating. To a high degree the 4.7 is considered bulletproof. If anything the dealer was probably embarrassed. You will probably get better service from them in the future since everything is documented.