GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

About to pull the trigger on a GX. Need some advice (high mileage, year changes, etc)

Old 07-15-12, 11:42 AM
shiraki
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default About to pull the trigger on a GX. Need some advice (high mileage, year changes, etc)

Update 7/19:
Thank you everyone for your help. I just put a deposit down on an 04 blizzard white with 98k miles. It seems to be in great condition and it also has a rear camera. Just had the major 90k overhaul and they also did the brakes, new tires, and waterpump, etc.

I noticed there isn't much wiggle room when buying used GX's I really tried to hustle a couple used car places.

I'll be paying $19k cash ($990 of asking price) and I just wanted to get some of your opinions before I pulled the trigger.

Heres a link to the car: http://www.mypaylessauto.com/1451/20...-Sport-Utility

And heres a link to the carfax: http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...#DetailSection

Thanks again for all the help. I'm on the verge of finally owning a GX!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've decided to finally get a GX470, I've spent a few days constantly researching the CL GX forum but couldn't find the answers to some of my questions so I thought I'd post it up here.

1. The GX's that are in my price range ($15k) all seem to have 100,000+ miles on them. And I'll be using this as a daily driver for the next year (30min commutes mostly highway). Should the high millage be a concern of mine? Is it not wise for me to purchase such a high mileage and use it for a daily driver? I really need this to be dependable as it'll be my only vehicle for the next few months.

2. Because of my price range I'll have to purchase an older model ~2004/2005 but I'd like to convert the appearances to a 2009 look. I had a difficult time finding a comprehensive list but this is the best I found.
The website lists the following:
-Clear lens indicators on taillights (easy DIY swap)
-Chromed door handles (has anyone attempted this yet?)
-Darker grille (I've searched everywhere and the grilles don't appear different to me. Could someone enlighten me?

3. Is the 05 VVTi with the extra hp worth the extra $ to get? Is there any noticeable difference in acceleration or everyday driving? And Can I still use regular at the pumps with this engine?

4. Last but not least, I noticed while driving some GX's have a slight blue tint to their headlights and some don't. Is this a year to year change or are the non blue-ish ones just oxidized from age. Its something I'd really want on mine.

Anyway, thanks in advanced for all your help. I can't wait to be a part of the GX family here on ClubLexus. (I was also a photographer for Lamborghini so I'll be sure to get some stunning wallpaper worthy GX shots for all of you )

Last edited by shiraki; 07-19-12 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-15-12, 12:02 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shiraki
I've decided to finally get a GX470, I've spent a few days constantly researching the CL GX forum but couldn't find the answers to some of my questions so I thought I'd post it up here.

1. The GX's that are in my price range ($15k) all seem to have 100,000+ miles on them. And I'll be using this as a daily driver for the next year (30min commutes mostly highway). Should the high millage be a concern of mine? Is it not wise for me to purchase such a high mileage and use it for a daily driver? I really need this to be dependable as it'll be my only vehicle for the next few months.

2. Because of my price range I'll have to purchase an older model ~2004/2005 but I'd like to convert the appearances to a 2009 look. I had a difficult time finding a comprehensive list but this is the best I found.
The website lists the following:
-Clear lens indicators on taillights (easy DIY swap)
-Chromed door handles (has anyone attempted this yet?)
-Darker grille (I've searched everywhere and the grilles don't appear different to me. Could someone enlighten me?

3. Is the 05 VVTi with the extra hp worth the extra $ to get? Is there any noticeable difference in acceleration or everyday driving? And Can I still use regular at the pumps with this engine?

4. Last but not least, I noticed while driving some GX's have a slight blue tint to their headlights and some don't. Is this a year to year change or are the non blue-ish ones just oxidized from age. Its something I'd really want on mine.

Anyway, thanks in advanced for all your help. I can't wait to be a part of the GX family here on ClubLexus. (I was also a photographer for Lamborghini so I'll be sure to get some stunning wallpaper worthy GX shots for all of you )
1- high mileage is not a concern provided maintenance was done for the first 100k miles. Pay the money to have Lexus do a prepurchase inspection.

2- There are a few external differences, but not that many. Tail lights are one of the few noticeable changes. Wasn't aware of the chrome handle change, but maybe it was.

3- Whether it's "worth it" depends on how much of a price difference you're presented with. Use whatever gas type the manual recommends (or higher if you wish). Drive the two different engines and decide for yourself. Anything we tell you is personal opinion and we're all probably biased toward whatever engine we have.

4- I *believe* that Lexus had a few different tint options on their headlights. I think blue, green, and yellow. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-15-12, 02:13 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 90K mile service is at least $800 and more like $1200 so you want to make sure this has been completed. Other non obvious things to check are speed and height sensors in rear suspension, torn cv boots, driveline virbations, tire wear... toyota wheels seem to all deteriorate over time.

Not sure on the complete list but I know there is additional chrome trim on a tailgate, details in a recent thread.

My 04 is a little sluggish at highway speeds, particularly uphill. I can't say if the VVTI version of the engine improves the power, to be honest by modern standards it's still under powered, but it cannot hurt. That said, I found a big difference in my 04 when manually shifting from 3-4-5 versus the trans program. It's probably not "worth it" looking at current pricing differences.

My guess is the blue GX headlights had aftermarket bulbs at a higher temperature then stock. Best idea is to replace with a reputable HID kit which you can order in any color.

I'm considering selling my 04, I could get close to your price range.
Old 07-15-12, 03:32 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 144 Posts

I have an 04 with 130K on it, I could not see any reason to change tail lights, I can't even see them while driving or in the truck. No one behind me has ever complained or commented. I have driven the 05 with the next gen engine. Could not tell the difference. My truck is heavily maintained, ahead of schedules, fuel system cleaner goes in it every 3-4000 miles, I run 93 octane, get sightless better mileage to a tank of gas, offsets the difference in a fill up, maybe 6 bucks more. I have polished out headlamp covers and put in sylvania ultra star bulbs, much brighter than stock, added Bluetooth, bought refinished wheels, slighty cheaper than repairing mine. Grease driveline every oil change, no clunk, original shaft. If you can find one like mine in your price range, that would be a home run regardless of year and mileage. These motors are 300 k engines. I have a friend with a 2004 land cruiser with 350K, she is still using it to drag kids around and family trips.
Old 07-15-12, 04:07 PM
shiraki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cdew002
4- I *believe* that Lexus had a few different tint options on their headlights. I think blue, green, and yellow. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks so much cdew002 great advice regarding #'s 1-3. I agree I think its a slight tint option and not HID color as z0lt3c is citing.

Clear headlights

Very subtle blue/green tint:

I guess the only thing thats alluding me now is the headlight glass color. Any other input?

Originally Posted by ALAN553
I have an 04 with 130K on it, I could not see any reason to change tail lights, I can't even see them while driving or in the truck. No one behind me has ever complained or commented. I have driven the 05 with the next gen engine. Could not tell the difference. My truck is heavily maintained, ahead of schedules, fuel system cleaner goes in it every 3-4000 miles, I run 93 octane, get sightless better mileage to a tank of gas, offsets the difference in a fill up, maybe 6 bucks more. I have polished out headlamp covers and put in sylvania ultra star bulbs, much brighter than stock, added Bluetooth, bought refinished wheels, slighty cheaper than repairing mine. Grease driveline every oil change, no clunk, original shaft. If you can find one like mine in your price range, that would be a home run regardless of year and mileage. These motors are 300 k engines. I have a friend with a 2004 land cruiser with 350K, she is still using it to drag kids around and family trips.
This is great to know. I'll stick with the 04'. And regarding the tailights I'm a sucker for attention to detail. I upgraded things on my past car not even hardcore car nuts would notice, but it makes me happy and I really think the 08/09 taillights do a lot for the rear end of the car. But your millage on your GX makes me a lot more comfortable about getting a 100k mile one so thanks for the input.

And a few shots of my work for those who are interested

Old 07-15-12, 08:26 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Enjoy, I was ony joking about the tail lights. I really do get it, I have to spread my money out amongst so many toys, an MX-5, a Honda ST1100, two bicycles, so many toys, so little time!!
Old 07-15-12, 08:27 PM
ALAN553
Racer

PS, Want the back to " look" better, takes the badges off,much easier to clean and polish too!
Old 07-16-12, 08:08 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't comment on the extra up in the later models, but consistently read the difference is little to none from those that have driven both. However, there can't be a downside to a few extra ponies. The addition of Bluetooth and backup camera are nice additions from +05 and later. Granted, they can be added later.

Check here for a good reference threads:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ng-at-gxs.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...t-a-gx470.html

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 07-17-12 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-17-12, 01:08 AM
shiraki
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Johnny, great read.

Update: I found a local seller with everything I want blizzard white, 04, great condition, etc.

However, its at 97,000 miles and hasn't gotten the 90k service yet so I'll be paying for that out of pocket if I pick it up. Hes asking $19,000. Isn't this a bit steep? What do you think is a reasonable price I can talk him down to?

I'm one step closer to owning a GX!
Old 07-17-12, 05:29 AM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could try to talk him down on the cost of the timing belt replacement - anywhere from $800-$1200. That should be a fair deal
Old 07-17-12, 06:07 AM
z0lt3c
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats about 3k too much.
Old 07-17-12, 07:00 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Johnny, great read.

Update: I found a local seller with everything I want blizzard white, 04, great condition, etc.

However, its at 97,000 miles and hasn't gotten the 90k service yet so I'll be paying for that out of pocket if I pick it up. Hes asking $19,000. Isn't this a bit steep? What do you think is a reasonable price I can talk him down to?

I'm one step closer to owning a GX!
Getting out somewhere between $16k and $18k would be acceptable.
Old 07-17-12, 08:06 AM
MSGX470
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z0lt3c
The 90K mile service is at least $800 and more like $1200 so you want to make sure this has been completed. Other non obvious things to check are speed and height sensors in rear suspension, torn cv boots, driveline virbations, tire wear... toyota wheels seem to all deteriorate over time.
Second that, the 90K service is the timing belt/water pump so make sure this has been completed.
This seems obvious but make sure the tires have plenty of tread, good tires for the GX run about $1000 a set.

Push every button and insist on testing EVERY function of the vehicle, don't pay for anything you're not getting, "towing package" with no hitch, full size spare with matching wheel ect.
Shift the transfer case from high to low(while in neutral) and drive(under 30mph), also the transfer case must be in Low range to engage DAC(downhill assist control).
Lock the center diff(while on dirt, gravel, grass or some other loose surface) and unlock (sometimes helps to shift to neutral to disengage).

08'-09' updates included clear tail light turns, darker walnut wood grain interior, updated navigation that plays DVD when parked and AUX input jack, chrome look roof rack, door handles and chrome strip under rear glass also some chrome accents on the interior.

I use premium but I have talked to many using regular with not problems, may see a slight loss in power or mileage but it will not harm the engine, premium is just recommended for best performance.
Old 07-17-12, 01:50 PM
shiraki
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the input. I called Lexus and they quoted me $1800 for the 90k service. I called 4 other trusted shops of mine and they all quoted me 1200-1400 as well for:

1. Engine oil
2. AC filter
3. Brake fluid
4. Timing belt
5. Water Pump
6. Lubricate drive shaft
7. Drive belts
8. Coolant
9. Differential oil
10. Spark plugs

Does this price sound about right?
Old 07-17-12, 02:08 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Thanks everyone for the input. I called Lexus and they quoted me $1800 for the 90k service. I called 4 other trusted shops of mine and they all quoted me 1200-1400 as well for:

1. Engine oil
2. AC filter
3. Brake fluid
4. Timing belt
5. Water Pump
6. Lubricate drive shaft
7. Drive belts
8. Coolant
9. Differential oil
10. Spark plugs

Does this price sound about right?
That's reasonable from a Lexus dealer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: About to pull the trigger on a GX. Need some advice (high mileage, year changes, etc)