GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear air suspension problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-12, 10:38 AM
rlgibson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rear air suspension problems

I have a 2007 GX 470 that I use to tow a boat ~3500 lbs. Typically, when I attach the boat to the trailer hitch, the rear end of my GX 470 will lower ~1.5", then the air suspension will activate and bring the rear end back up to a nearly level position. Lately, the air suspension has quit working. I've taken it to my dealership, they've checked it out and told me that the system is working fine. When I brought it home and attached the boat, the air suspension is still not working. I've got an appointment on Monday to haul the boat up to the Lexus dealer and show them the problem. I can use the air suspension switch to raise the the rear end and the pump seems to work just fine.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem, and if so, what was the fix? I'm thinking that, although the "system" is working fine, somewhere there has to be a sensor or switch that tells the system to work - that isn't working.
Old 07-17-12, 06:51 PM
guestgx
Driver School Candidate

2006 GX470

I am having a similar problem. One of my passengers always sits on the right side of the car. It has been about 5 years now and i notice that the air suspension on the right side is about 1/2 an inch to an inch lower than the left side of the car. Is there a switch that allows you to regulate each air pillow/bag? I thinking there has to be a switch on each air suspension pillow that helps lift or lower just that side. Any advice?
Old 07-21-12, 11:14 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by guestgx
2006 GX470

I am having a similar problem. One of my passengers always sits on the right side of the car. It has been about 5 years now and i notice that the air suspension on the right side is about 1/2 an inch to an inch lower than the left side of the car. Is there a switch that allows you to regulate each air pillow/bag? I thinking there has to be a switch on each air suspension pillow that helps lift or lower just that side. Any advice?
Pretty sure it rises and lowers as a unit. Maybe you have a bad shock
Old 07-21-12, 11:57 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I remember seeing a thread with instructions on how to adjust the air bag height if it wasn't level...
Old 07-21-12, 11:47 PM
anaba
Driver School Candidate

please guys, i have a bigger problem. i cant seem to activate the compressor which sends signal to the servo/compressor to inflate the suspension bags. its a bigger problem due to unavailability of experience technicians in my locality. my is a 2004 GX470
the rear side of the suv is down and give a very bumpy ride (i.e it jumps) because the suspension bag is deflated. what do i do before taking it to any technician so as not to be deceived
Old 07-22-12, 08:27 AM
ELITech
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright guys, I have some information that may help.

First off, some general info about the height control. There are height level sensors on the GX that sense the height of each corner. It is a similar idea on the LX as well. These height level sensors have adjustable arms that attach to a part of the suspension on the vehicle (ideally a control arm, shock, diff housing, etc.) Some problems that occur with these is that they are not properly adjusted, broken, or gone awol.

Examples are as follows:

1. Not properly adjusted - The rear suspension takes reading from both sides. If one is too high out of adjustment, or too low, the system senses a problem then disables it to prevent issues. This will not necessarily set a trouble code...

2. Broken - Rust, etc. is the worst enemy of these little guys, and they can seize and break without you ever knowing. That is a picture of one on an LS400. The adjustable rod that is new in the picture comes attached to the arm above it (which is part of the height control sensor) on the GX models. A visual inspection can determine this issue.

3. AWOL sensor. Again, codes are not necessarily set in air suspension systems if the system reads a change in the height sensor when the height is being changed. HOWEVER, the sensor itself can go bad, and provide faulty readings, not allowing the system to rest at the correct height position it has been set to.

In any case, if the car is taken to the dealer, ask them to check the data list for the height control, because again, codes may not necessarily be set when a problem occurs. The data list typically provides a reading of each height control sensor in millimeters. When comparing these pieces of data, know that both rear sensors will NOT necessarily read exactly the same. A tolerance of approximately 4-5mm is typical but they can be adjusted.

The same goes for the front. The other thing is that when the vehicle goes to the Low position, it is not uncommon to see the rear go into negative millimeter. (-mm) However, if one reads negative at neutral position, that is a likely culprit. Remember, 25.4 mm = 1inch, so the techs can use the readings at each level to determine if the actuators etc. are operating correctly as well.

Long reply, but hope it helps
Old 08-08-12, 09:30 AM
guestgx
Driver School Candidate

Default How to: Rear air suspension bag height adjustment

Originally Posted by cdew002
I think I remember seeing a thread with instructions on how to adjust the air bag height if it wasn't level...
Thats is exactly what I am looking for!!! Do you know where and how i can find this thread/ this info? I just need some instructions on how to adjust it..Thank you!!!!