GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Injection Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-12, 04:19 PM
dmarple
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Injection Pump

New to this forum.

This is just to relay our most recent experience on the GX 470, 2005 80+k miles.

I am no mechanic so what I say may not be exactly correct. Feel free to correct me.

It is known as the air injection pump. You may not be familiar with it. I had never heard of such a thing. It comes on when the engine is cold in order to pump air into the catalyitic converter so the converter can burn off the lethal carbons before the Cat gets hot. It's an emission thing. On our car, in May, it seemed to run for apx 45 seconds when the car was first started for the day. Then never again for that day

It has failed. The dealer has quoted apx $4 K to fix. That is due to having to replace all the valves too since we don't know whether they have been impacted by the failure. Also, Lexus chose to put this under the intake manifold causing labor costs to be quite high. (Toyota Tundra has had a recall for this part in model year 2007. At least it is not under the manifold on the Tundra.)

We did not buy a Lexus because we wanted to drive a prestigious car.

We did not buy Lexus so we could get our shoes polished when we met with our repair consultant at the dealer.

No, we bought Lexus because of their reputation as a trouble free vehicle over many miles.

I have owned vehicles for 45 years, and I have never incurred a situation quite like this. Needless to say.....

Thanks for offering me an opportunity to vent.
Old 06-21-12, 07:42 AM
TopGear300
Driver

I will be the first to offer up my condolences!!

Any fix on any car with that price tag will make you reconsider!

If I were in this situation I would have 2 (serious) gut reactions:

1. Talk with the service manager to see if Lexus will eat any of the bill. My family is a lexus family ( not trying to toot my own horn here bear with me) we have had about 4 different ones in the family and on my parents RX the steering system was leaking with a warranty that had expired. Quote was $1500 to fix with $750 in parts and $750 in labor. We talked to the service manager and to make a long story short Lexus ate the parts. For a total fix of $750 OTD. I mentioned our other cars because the first thing corporate will ask the service manager when he calls is are they a good customer? I don't know if/how much business you have done with you dealer but maybe they will work with you that price is obsurd.

2. Depending on how bad the car runs now. SHOP AROUND. Take it to toyota first and see how much they want to do it. It should be less for sure. Then reasearch for some local reliable independent shops. more of a risk for less cost?

3. Punch someone at that Lexus dealership, hard.
Old 06-21-12, 07:58 AM
BierGut
Driver School Candidate

Did anyone explain to you just how the valves might be effected?

Sounds like the dealer is really not all that interested in fixing your GX unless there is a high profit attached.

As stated above -- shop around good independents. I would be willing to bet the pump can be replaced for less than half that quote.

Example: Just had an indy replace a front wheel bearing... $465.43. Dealer quote... $857.78. (Someone has to pay for the giant indoor Koi pond and massage chairs)

Put a little work into options and good luck!
Old 06-21-12, 09:09 AM
bg22
Driver School Candidate

Just had the intake off of our GX for other issues. It's definitely under there along with the starter. Not sure who's bright idea it was to stuff things under the intake manifold. I'd definitely shop around at independent Lexus/Toyota shops.
Old 06-22-12, 10:11 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Dmarple...I am just curious, there is no air pump along the exhaust of the GX, all is the O2 Sensors. On the GX we have is a Vacuum pump which is right on the Engine V Bank Cover and located mid of the Intake Manifold Assy. And only two for the entire GX. It is called as Vacuum Switching Valve. This job takes five minutes to replace. Is this the one ! do let us know.
Old 06-22-12, 12:46 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

air injection pump: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X470-2005.html

Old 06-23-12, 06:38 AM
dmarple
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to everyone for comments/suggestions. We had no leverage with the dealer.

WE did find a local "Reliable" shop to do the repair for substantially less than the Lexus dealer.
It still burns me though.

This is not something that should fail. It hardly runs. We could have had the Air conditioner replaced in our house for What Lexus wanted to replace it.

I liken it to a wheel falling off.

Thanks Again
Old 06-23-12, 10:04 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad it's done and over for ya...
i hear ya on the repair cost... that's why i find it funny people who use this car for daily driving over 100 miles per day...
i feel funny sitting inside this truck all by myself on long trips knowing i am getting only 10mpg with an empty 2nd row 3rd row and passenger seat... i much rather rack up the miles on my g35 coupe knowing that thing can take it and nissan won't rip my arms off either...

hope nothing else breaks between 80k and 100k miles for ya...
Old 06-25-12, 06:10 AM
BierGut
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by clubsport
glad it's done and over for ya...
i hear ya on the repair cost... that's why i find it funny people who use this car for daily driving over 100 miles per day...
i feel funny sitting inside this truck all by myself on long trips knowing i am getting only 10mpg with an empty 2nd row 3rd row and passenger seat... i much rather rack up the miles on my g35 coupe knowing that thing can take it and nissan won't rip my arms off either...

hope nothing else breaks between 80k and 100k miles for ya...
Yea! Great contribution!
Old 06-25-12, 05:46 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default with only 9 posts?

you should keep quiet and learn a few things before you open your mouth...

Originally Posted by BierGut
Yea! Great contribution!
Old 06-25-12, 05:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

BierGut, that type of rude reply is not needed on our forum. Please don't make that a recurring concern.
Different subforum but the sentiment applies https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-is-forum.html

clubsport next time report the post without the public reply.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq...ponse_comments
Old 06-25-12, 09:17 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dmarple
New to this forum.

This is just to relay our most recent experience on the GX 470, 2005 80+k miles.

I am no mechanic so what I say may not be exactly correct. Feel free to correct me.

It is known as the air injection pump. You may not be familiar with it. I had never heard of such a thing. It comes on when the engine is cold in order to pump air into the catalyitic converter so the converter can burn off the lethal carbons before the Cat gets hot. It's an emission thing. On our car, in May, it seemed to run for apx 45 seconds when the car was first started for the day. Then never again for that day

It has failed. The dealer has quoted apx $4 K to fix. That is due to having to replace all the valves too since we don't know whether they have been impacted by the failure. Also, Lexus chose to put this under the intake manifold causing labor costs to be quite high. (Toyota Tundra has had a recall for this part in model year 2007. At least it is not under the manifold on the Tundra.)

We did not buy a Lexus because we wanted to drive a prestigious car.

We did not buy Lexus so we could get our shoes polished when we met with our repair consultant at the dealer.

No, we bought Lexus because of their reputation as a trouble free vehicle over many miles.

I have owned vehicles for 45 years, and I have never incurred a situation quite like this. Needless to say.....

Thanks for offering me an opportunity to vent.
I would think this would fit under the "emissions" portion of the emissions warranty, which I thought was a crazy long duration in terms of miles and years.

Anyone know how long our emissions-equipment warranty is?
Old 06-27-12, 05:35 PM
dmarple
Driver School Candidate

one last footnote:

We did get the part replaced by a "reputable" local mechanic.

The fan blades were in 100's of pieces. It rattled like a baby's rattelr.

Yes, that $1,000 plus part was made of plastic.

Interesting, it had nothing on the intake side that would prevent debris, etc from entering it

I can't believe more of these haven't failed.
Old 01-29-13, 03:09 PM
compumar
Driver School Candidate

Default Just had the same air pump/valve failure at 80,000!

Unfortunately, the exact same thing happened to my 2005 GX470 with 80,000 pretty much trouble free miles before this disaster. I had the work done at an independent shop and only had to replace one of the valves instead of 3, but the parts prices are ridiculously expensive!

I am really upset about it--the repair guy told me that it is a poor design and not the first time he has seen it happen.
Old 04-29-15, 07:30 AM
B4TM4N
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the first thread that pops up when i search on Google for LX470 air injection pump so for all the others who conduct the same search due to the check engine light, here is a way cheaper fix than going to the dealer:
I think you can get the bypass kit on Ebay or do more searches and might find them on the Tundra forums.

Quick Reply: Air Injection Pump