GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Tire replacement 08 GX question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-12, 11:22 AM
dandg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire replacement 08 GX question

I am looking at a low miles (25K ) GX 470 that has had (as shown in carfax) the tires checked at 5k miles and then shows two replaced at 14,500.

Is this normal,and shouldn't all 4 tires be replaced together as its full time 4wd ?

They have just done brake pads and machined rotors as well as alignment to CPO it,not sure if thats a clue to the tire wear issue.They want big money for it (39K)and I don't want to buy the one GX thats a problem child and was turned in with low miles due to issues.

thanks
Old 04-26-12, 01:36 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dandg
I am looking at a low miles (25K ) GX 470 that has had (as shown in carfax) the tires checked at 5k miles and then shows two replaced at 14,500.

Is this normal,and shouldn't all 4 tires be replaced together as its full time 4wd ?

They have just done brake pads and machined rotors as well as alignment to CPO it,not sure if thats a clue to the tire wear issue.They want big money for it (39K)and I don't want to buy the one GX thats a problem child and was turned in with low miles due to issues.

thanks
For $39K, I'd look at a lightly used 5th gen 4Runner or a clean Lexus LX aka Land Cruiser.

If you really want that GX, I wouldn't be too concerned so long as the tires match brand/model/size. Make sure you spend the $2-300 for a pre-purchase inspection to cover your ****.
Old 04-26-12, 02:15 PM
Familylex
Driver School Candidate

That's a premium price. I just picked up an 2007 with 30k miles for 31k
The tires on mine are wore out as well. Looking at new michelins.
Old 04-27-12, 02:08 AM
dandg
Driver

I am going to try and get the tire tread measurements that where done when the did the CPO inspection. That 07 for 31 k is a real good deal ! I am not seeing many low miles ones (under 30k) at the Lexus dealers that low.

I looked at the LX's ,real nice, but you have to go down in years and up in miles to find one under $40k. This 08 GX is the color combo I like (Black/Grey),just concerned about those tires and early wearout/mismatch.
Old 04-27-12, 07:14 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe one tire was defective and or damaged so they replaced both tires on the same axle.
Old 04-27-12, 10:05 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Again, get a PPI. CPO is a selling mechanism. It's NOT an accurate reflection of the condition of the car. It doesn't give you any protections. You, in fact, have to pay for a premium for it.

If tire wear is the worst that comes out of it, it's the last thing I'd worry about. Tires are cheap especially the regular, bicycle width factory ones.
Old 04-27-12, 10:25 AM
dandg
Driver

Whats a PPI going to show me that will not be covered by the CPO warranty,I guess I could see it if it had no warranty but if something wrong I will know it way before that runs out.

The main reason I am leaning towards the CPO is because thats where all the low miles 08-09's are(off lease turn ins I suspect) and the few others that I find at non Lexus dealers (like on thats at a BMW dealer-same price with more miles!) is they aren't discounting them any.If I am going to pay 38-39k might as well get the extra warranty the CPO give me no?

Last edited by dandg; 04-27-12 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-27-12, 12:26 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That isn't a bad price for your area. I bought an 08 last year for $37k with 48,000 miles. It also depends on the options you are getting and what shape it is in. Mine was pretty close to mint, except for the pitting wheels and they replaced (3) at no charge. If it has Nav, Mark Levington sound, spoiler, tow hitch, that is close to the fair price in your area.
Old 04-27-12, 12:41 PM
dandg
Driver

Hi,

thats what I have been finding for price in the area (I have even done a 200 mile search). It does have Nav and Mark Levinson and the spoiler, no tow hitch thou (no big deal to me).

I have two call in and so far they have not returned my call thou,it might be gone or they don't want to bother giving info on phone.I might have to expand my search to a BMW X5,I talked to the MB dealer and they,the GL's all have 'MB-Tex" not leather unless you jump up to upper 50k in price.
Old 04-27-12, 01:16 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

CPO reduces your risk for future repairs out of pocket, but it doesn't necessarily "certify" the existing condition of the vehicle (good or bad).

Lexus isn't guaranteeing that the water pump isn't leaking, that wheel bearings are in great shape, or that the truck hasn't ever had body work done. It's doesn't back you with any sort of financial protection that the GX has been well maintained, cared for. they honestly couldnt care less.

I honestly didn't get a PPI because I bought it through craigslist from the previous owner who cared for the truck. if I bought it from a dealer, CPO or no CPO, I'd spend the $200 at an independent shop to look it over with a fine toothed comb.

Heck, you're concerned about tire wear. that's the least of my worries if in your shoes, but hey we are who we are. gl
Old 04-27-12, 01:44 PM
dandg
Driver

Thanks for the clarification.
As far as the water pump (they do pressure test the cooling system) and wheel bearings (I am pretty sure I would hear or feel it ) or anything mechanical is wrong a Lexus dealer will fix it no charge (up until 100k for the next 3 yrs)under the warranty .So thats not a concern as no out of pocket expense to me.
What I am concerned about is if two different tread wear depths ( the two replaced at 15k and he two original at 25k) are ok for full time 4wd use or will I need to buy 4 new ones.That I have to pay for and will want to factor that in.
Old 04-27-12, 02:41 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

what if there's frame damage from an accident? you don't have to fix it, but does it de-value the car? yes. what if the bumper is an aftermarket one. does it devalue the car? possibly. CPO is definitely a good thing to have, but that it doesn't protect you from some of these unknowns is the only point i'm trying to make here. i'm just using your thread as a example especially since your overall tone conveys a bigger concern than just tires ("problem child).

as for the tread depths, we're talking tenths of an inch at best. like i said, least of your worries. it alone won't cause any headaches. if you want complete peace of mind, shell out the ~$800 and get some fresh shoes that fit your needs even better perhaps. done. next.
Old 04-28-12, 02:33 AM
dandg
Driver

ROK,

my concern is related to difference's in tire tread depth and the need/or not to replace all 4 on a full time 4WD (or and AWD like the RX) GX.
Here is a good link;
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/w...scam-true.html

"Four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles are equipped with additional differentials and/or viscous couplings that are designed to allow momentary differences in wheel speeds when the vehicle turns a corner or temporarily spins a tire. However, if the differentials or viscous couplings are forced to operate 100% of the time because of mismatched tires, they will experience excessive heat and unwarranted wear until they fail.

This necessitates that four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles use tires that are very closely matched. This is because different diameter tires roll a different number of times each mile as a result of the variations in their circumferences. Tire diameter variations can be caused by accidentally using different sized tires, tires with different tread designs, tires made by different manufacturers, different inflation pressures or even tires worn to different tread depths."

If all 4 tires should have been replaced 10k ago then this is a "problem child" with perhaps a future issue that might make me change my interest in the purchase.If its a simple as buying or negotiating a new set of tires thats only $1000 I have to factor in,but a future transfer case issue is much larger concern.
As to frame/accident damage the car fax would show anything-and guarantee a buy back like that and it would never get past a CPO inspection or my test drive/visual inspection.Not a concern to me on this GX.

Last edited by dandg; 04-28-12 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-28-12, 08:42 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Regardless of what you read you dont have to replace all 4 tires but I would replace both tires on the same axle.

I got new wheels and tires put on yesterday, 285/60/18. The 18" tires are an 1" taller than the stock tires so I also told them to replace the spare tire (265/65/17) with a 265/70/17 tire because its an 1" taller and matches the 18" wheels. I probably wouldnt have a problem with an 1" shorter spare tire because it wouldnt be on that long to damage anything before I got the 18" tire fixed / repaired but the tire was cheap enough to do it.

About the CPO / PPI, ROKs right about getting a PPI. A PPI inspection is much more thorough than a CPO inspection. Even though your CPO will be under warranty its good to know if the previous owner took care of it and if theres anything wrong with it that you can see visually. If youre dropping almost $40K whats a couple more hundred dollars?

Just my .02.......
Old 04-28-12, 09:21 AM
dandg
Driver

I got the answer on the tires, they are all 7/32 so they have about half their wear and do match (even a couple 32's apparently will cause 4 revs per mile difference, what Lexus GX allowances are is the question I guess).I perhaps they shaved the replacement ones.

"As an example of different tire diameters resulting from tires worn to different tread depths, we'll compare two 225/45R17-sized tires, a new tire with its original tread depth of 10/32-inch and a second tire worn to 8/32-inch of remaining tread depth. The new 225/45R17-sized tire has a calculated diameter of 24.97", a circumference of 78.44" and will roll 835 times each mile. The same tire worn to 8/32-inch of remaining tread depth is calculated to be 1/8" shorter with a diameter of 24.84", have a circumference of 78.04" and will roll 839 times per mile. While the difference of 1/8" in overall diameter doesn't seem excessive, the resulting 4 revolutions per mile difference can place a continuous strain on the tires and vehicle's driveline. Obviously, the greater the difference in the tires' circumferences, the greater the resulting strain."

This PPI is is something I might want if I was a) buying a car long distance that I could not see in person,b) had no warranty(then I might do a fluids analysis like they do on boats and planes) .But I just don't see spending the money when I will see/drive it in person,have the car fax,dealer service invoice info and the CPO warranty to back it up-in this case for another 75k miles.I have bought and sold over 30 cars in the last 35 years and really never had an issue with a hidden defect.
What can they do that has not been done,is not covered or I can not see or feel on my test drive ?
The car has never been hit-per carfax-and I will be able to tell anything major,it has new battery,brakes,wipers,oil,air,cabin filters,alignment. I have access to the CPO report (and will check the tires tread depth myself).

Quick Reply: Tire replacement 08 GX question