GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Audio system suddenly doesn't detect Changer

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-12, 04:21 PM
Bati
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio system suddenly doesn't detect Changer

Hi All - I have a 2007 gx-470, and all of a sudden, I can't do anything with the 6 cd changer. Pressing the "Disc" button on the audio system doesn't bring up the changer interface any more, and I can't eject any of the cd's that are in there.

I called the dealer and his answer was "Probably need to replace the whole thing .. 900$ plus work" .. yea, whatever .. My question is - anyone know where I could buy the changer device at a normal price? Is there a good website that sell those? I tried ebay but wasn't too lucky there.

Last edited by Bati; 04-06-12 at 04:30 PM. Reason: -
Old 04-06-12, 04:46 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

eBay would be your best bet. Try this site too, they will find parts from salvage yards across the US: http://www.car-part.com/
Old 04-06-12, 07:52 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

That is what the dealers would say, and they are rightly said as "Stealerships". Without Troubleshooting they come up with solution " Replace".
Anyways is your truck with Nav or without Nav. Hopefully we can come to know where the problem lies.
And search on this forum, lot of GX have similar problems and some have been sorted out, you get some solution from other members also.
I did have mine the similar problem and only replace the CD changer. That was after lot of discussion with the Service Manager, and to know the exact issue. Sometimes you have to be firm and things will fall in place, or change your dealer, maybe they would be better.
There is Exchange Program for 2007 GX470 for CD CD Skips/CD does NOT play/CD does NOT eject/CD will NOT accept. TSB - AU001-06.
Old 04-07-12, 06:24 PM
Bati
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mann777
That is what the dealers would say, and they are rightly said as "Stealerships". Without Troubleshooting they come up with solution " Replace".
Anyways is your truck with Nav or without Nav. Hopefully we can come to know where the problem lies.
And search on this forum, lot of GX have similar problems and some have been sorted out, you get some solution from other members also.
I did have mine the similar problem and only replace the CD changer. That was after lot of discussion with the Service Manager, and to know the exact issue. Sometimes you have to be firm and things will fall in place, or change your dealer, maybe they would be better.
There is Exchange Program for 2007 GX470 for CD CD Skips/CD does NOT play/CD does NOT eject/CD will NOT accept. TSB - AU001-06.
Thanks Mann777 - I tried searching this forum, and actually found a thread where you show someone how to get to diagnostic mode. I did that and everything seems normal.

Yes, I have navigation. The problem is very odd - there's power going into the changer (lights on it are on), but there seems to be no connection between it and the audio system. Pressing on the Disc/AUX button does nothing. Pressing on the eject (on the changer) does nothing as well (although if i'm not mistaken, the eject/load buttons on the changer only worked after pressing that Disc/AUX button and entering the CD interface, but not sure about that).
I also got a bit adventurous and disarmed the glove compartment to see if some electric plug was disconnected or something, but it wasn't as easy as I thought. There were too many cables down there, and all seemed connected (what was naked to my eyes, at least).

When you say Service Manager, do you mean the Lexus Dealership Service? Maybe I should try a different dealership?
Old 04-07-12, 07:44 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed my CD changer and replaced it w/ a grom IPOD adapter. I sold the old changer on ebay for $90 -- so if it comes down to that, you should be able to find an affordable option. Although, why you still want to use CDs, I'm not sure....

I traced out alot of the CD changer cabling before I pulled it. The changer harness plugs into the back of the headunit and extends to a coupler inside the glovebox. The CD Changer then has a short cable which plugs into this coupler. I would suggest tracing all these connections. A continuity test on each pin would rule out the wiring loom.

If an aftermarket adapter was ever installed in your vehicle, you may find a Y cable in the back of the headunit on the CD changer port. I found this cable to be problematic and bypassed it in my application.
Old 04-10-12, 10:32 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes as Zolt mentions..just try doing a check on the harness of the system rear. And have all the port harness removed and re-inserted firmly. Before you remove, if you have a Air Spray duster, have that sprayed around and then started working. including the continuity check. And if in case still you problem persist, the CD tray is quite cheap, you could get from the dealer for $70 odd, i think these days. Yes you dealership service manager is what I meant, and you could change the dealer if you find they are not worth the service they give.
Old 05-06-12, 08:39 PM
RedLizard
Driver School Candidate

I have the exact same problem with my Levinson changer....lights up, but is unresponsive to any and all input from the head unit. Lexus dealer quoted me $2700 to replace.

I don't much care about playing CD's, but I would like to be able to update the navigation some day.

There isn't any way to update the GPS w/o a working CD changer is there?
Old 05-06-12, 08:50 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Your navigation disc is under the passenger seat. Unless your navigation stopped working too I dont see how the CD changer in the glovebox effects your navigation.
Old 05-06-12, 08:53 PM
RedLizard
Driver School Candidate

My bad, I foolishly assumed they were interconnected. Thanks for the info. Nav is working great. Knock on wood.
Old 05-23-12, 09:21 PM
Bati
Driver School Candidate

So here's my experience so far - I took it to a guy that supposedly knew what he was doing. He took the changer out, told me the changing mechanism is probably broken and he needs 10 days to order and replace. After 10 days he says he didn't know that it was a DVD/CD changer (it has the DVD sign on it .. ok, that's why i said "supposedly"). Of course I took it from back from him and was sorry someone as idiot touched my car.

The second audio electrician that I went to told me that Lexus invests more money in making the harness Lexus-Only. Meaning its configured in such a way that I can't just plug in third party changer. I have no idea if that is a true statement - I just assumed it is since it was in his interest to sell me one of those changers.

So I'm back to square one. I'll go to Lexus and ask how much it'll cost to repair - probably more than 1000$. I just saw 3 of these on eBay for around 500$, used of course. I'm debating if to go that route ...

Last edited by Bati; 05-23-12 at 09:27 PM.