GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear sub

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-12, 05:40 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear sub

I did a search and am sorry I couldnt turn up any info. Im sure this has to have been covered by now, but I cant find the info here or on Sewell. It seems the sub in my truck, all the way in the rear of the truck, pass side right below the last window could use upgrading/replacement. When I search for the OEM replacement, seems it is an entire speaker enclosure with the speaker as well.

Can I just replace the sub?

If so, what size is it? And is the original one 8 ohms?

Any specific aftermarkets that are known to work well and not overheat the amp?

Is it recommended to replace the whole thing for some reason? Seems to me just replacing the speaker itself makes the most sense.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated. I have a feeling Im going to end up replacing most of the speakers in this just as I did in the LS.
Old 03-25-12, 04:14 PM
Muti007
Advanced

No one? I know someone here knows, help a brother out
Old 03-25-12, 06:56 PM
dliugear
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try to upgrade my audio few weeks ago and found out that it is easier to just rebuild a new system. So I end up replaced all the speakers and amp, and a new HU.
Feeling so good right now
Old 03-25-12, 08:21 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I dont know about our subs but Ive read on the 4runner sites that guys were replacing theirs with a JL 8w1. Have you tried removing the panel so you can get to the sub? It beats waiting for people to answer.
Old 04-24-12, 12:27 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by RCsGX
I dont know about our subs but Ive read on the 4runner sites that guys were replacing theirs with a JL 8w1. Have you tried removing the panel so you can get to the sub? It beats waiting for people to answer.
For a number of health related issues, tearing the interior panel out right now is not immediately possible for me to do. Ill see if I can find a how to and if it is really easy to do I might take a stab at it, but otherwise Im still really hopeful someone may be able to answer my question for me without me having to try. I know that sounds lame and lazy, but I am extremely ill for the last 4-5 months and lately, my health has been deteriorating rapidly and Im severely physically limited as to what I can do. I dont even work from my office anymore and havent for months, I am basically confined to bed or the couch and for days at a time.

What I am hoping is that I can just swap an 8 inch back in there so I can just order another identical sub as I just put in my LS. If I can find out it will work, I can order the sub and my boy can come scoop up my truck and swap it out or even do the work at my house and I will never have to get out of bed.

So if anyone can answer the original question it would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
Old 04-24-12, 12:05 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on my research, it appears the factory ML subwoofer runs at 12 ohm. It's almost impossible to find 12 ohm replacement, but a few people have reported success using a 8 ohm replacement, in particular a JL Audio 6W0-8 -- This is a 6.5" woofer. I was told the depth will be tight and may require some trimming and/or creativity to fit properly. I have also been told that if you try a 4ohm replacement the system will shut down into protection mode to prevent damage.

I've also heard that you can get a Pioneer replacement speaker from Lexus/Toyota which is more like $150 vs the $380 for the entire woofer+assembly. Bear in mind all this information is third hand, hope it helps. FWIW, I've heard the JL SQ isn't much better then ML so don't expect much of an improvement.

A better idea maybe to replace the subwoofer and subwoofer amplifier with a new amp and subwoofer running at a more common 4 ohms. You can effectively intercept the line level signal pre-amplifier underneath the passenger seat or behind the HU. You can then split this line level out into a different amp, and splice the output of this amp back into the factory speaker feed for the subwoofer. This would let you use any speaker that fits.