GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Thinking about just installing my Vaistech and BeatSonic myself, should I?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-12, 03:10 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thinking about just installing my Vaistech and BeatSonic myself, should I?

So I received my Vaistech Ipod kit and Beatsonic DVD bypass in superfast time (thanks Beat and Romin!!) and am starting to think maybe Ill just do the job myself. Part of me doesnt want to mess with any of it at all, risk breaking expensive interior pieces, cutting up my hands etc. and the other part of me knows Ive done FAR more complicated installs than these in the past and could definitely do these as well. Im thinking my installer would likely charge me $85 or so total to install both and would be done in an hour or less. Figure my dumb butt might take twice that time? But I cant decide if its worth taking the risk of missing something, breaking something, just getting irritated as hell or messing something up and if it wouldnt just make more sense paying the guy and getting it done, pain free, for not much $$ the first time no fuss no muss.

What do you think? Though Im not a complete novice, Id be interested to hear if any complete novices have tackled both or either jobs and done well?
Old 03-16-12, 03:29 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there's a dvd install thread with pic video, easy stuff - you can def do this one yourself since it's plug/play
Old 03-16-12, 03:52 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by clubsport
there's a dvd install thread with pic video, easy stuff - you can def do this one yourself since it's plug/play
Thanks CS, I figured there would be a good write up with pics here somewhere, Ill have to look for it and see.

BTW, did you see in that one thread I posted the link with the parts pics and blow up and found the part # you needed for your RSCA bulb a few days ago? The one for my 4wd button ran me $12 at the dealer, lol. Its THE TINIEST little bulb you ever saw in your life but you will not find that darn thing anywhere but there.
Old 03-16-12, 04:37 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

yea sure did thanx man... when i get the chance i will have to tinker with it some more but right now the weather has been so warm here i decided to put a new exhaust system on my g35 coupe so those lights will have to wait... also i got 2 headrest dvd players and a double din gps dvd to install in the gx470 right now too so i been looking over those 2 writeups a lot lately... you will see i put some posts in them as well... gl
Old 03-16-12, 04:40 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

also, i have done the same thing in my g35 coupe which is more complicated than the gx470 because of setup and so many panels tied together... but once done it was just really easy... take time and make sure you don't pull tabs sideway where you can break them... that's about it... gl
Old 03-16-12, 04:43 PM
BeatSonic
Sponsor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Muti, although not directly related, this may help you get to the necessary connector:

SLA-81 Instructions

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/
Old 03-16-12, 06:48 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Muti007, were you able to find / use a promo code when you ordered the Vaistech? I was about to place my order tonight and I noticed a promo code box by the SL2i-UP order box. I did some quick google searches but all of the promo codes I found have expired.

Ive emailed Vais so I'll see what they say.
Old 03-16-12, 07:22 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by BeatSonic
Hi Muti, although not directly related, this may help you get to the necessary connector:

SLA-81 Instructions

Hey thanks man!! But what do you mean by "get the right connector"? Am I missing a part?
Old 03-16-12, 07:24 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Muti007, were you able to find / use a promo code when you ordered the Vaistech? I was about to place my order tonight and I noticed a promo code box by the SL2i-UP order box. I did some quick google searches but all of the promo codes I found have expired.

Ive emailed Vais so I'll see what they say.
No sorry bud, there isnt one. I also had emailed Vaistech and there arent any current promotions or discounts.
Old 03-16-12, 08:51 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Gotcha.

And I think BeatSonic just included that to give you an idea on how to remove everything for you to install it yourself. It looks pretty easy, Im going to install the sl2i-up...I hope to be buying it in the next day or two. I HATE not having XM radio or iPhone / iPod controls.

I wish my GX didnt even have factory navigation so I could put a nice Kenwood Navi unit. Oh well, too late now.

Good luck on your install!
Old 03-16-12, 09:07 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Gotcha.

And I think BeatSonic just included that to give you an idea on how to remove everything for you to install it yourself. It looks pretty easy, Im going to install the sl2i-up...I hope to be buying it in the next day or two. I HATE not having XM radio or iPhone / iPod controls.

I wish my GX didnt even have factory navigation so I could put a nice Kenwood Navi unit. Oh well, too late now.

Good luck on your install!
Thanks man.

I am of two minds about OEM Nav units. I generally prefer them because they look so much better and are overall so much better integrated into the interior. But with aftermarket its so much cheaper and easier to do so much more. I just sold my 4runner last month when I bought my GX470 and in that, I had bought and installed a Clarion in dash DVD/NAV/CD/Ipod unit. Did the whole install myself, wired the Nav antenna myself, wired the ipod myself etc. By the time I was done getting everything the way I wanted it, I could tear the entire interior of that truck apart in under 15 minutes. IF I wanted to I could have continued to add even more options to that unit and I also wired the DVD to play in motion for only $30 as opposed to the hundreds it can cost to do with these OEM systems.

But it still wasnt as reliable overall as the OEM systems tend to be and had drawbacks of its own too. In the end I prefer the OEM systems and since I always buy used, I dont end up paying much for them. Its insane what folks spend on them new though! If only they mere more readily and easily up gradable.
Old 03-16-12, 10:10 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

i generally like the oem navi system even tho they get outdated... thought a guy on the forum was interested in trading my nonnavi setup for his so he can put in aftermarket double din stuff but he backed out... so i am just about ready to install aftermarket myself now just to update the look of it... these are nice trucks and the nonnavi setup just looks out of place
Old 03-16-12, 11:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

muti, for the installation, i can understand it's a toss. you are right, installation should be around 1 hour. it's not super hard, but on the 2 wood trim pieces right by the navigation, you will have to have some guts to just pull and pop them.
Old 03-17-12, 12:03 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Yeah thats what Im worried about. I swapped out my driver side door ML speaker the other day and it wasnt hard at all just a PITA. Im imaging this will be too and that Im missing a few of something when it comes to parts. Even if I had that trim remover piece Id feel a little better.

BTW, did you get a PM in the last hour or 2?
Old 03-17-12, 12:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

using the trim removal tool will help TREMENDOUSLY, unless you have some strong finger nails, haha... toyota / lexus cars in general are very easy to work with, sometimes you just need to experience and the guts to go for it.

Quick Reply: Thinking about just installing my Vaistech and BeatSonic myself, should I?