GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Thinking about just installing my Vaistech and BeatSonic myself, should I?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-12, 08:54 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have 1,613 songs on my iPhone. I have a few playlist that I work out to but other than that I like to listen to specific albums / artist.

With the Kenwood I could play songs by artist / song title / playlist / genre etc. and always played songs by artist. Since I have the 4th gen nav, the Vais only lets me play by playlist. I just made each album into a playlist last night so its basically the same thing as playing by artist name.

Ive still found a few quirks. If I switch from MD changer to radio and back it wont play my iPhone I'll have to turn the radio off and then on. This morning I was listening to a specific album, I turned the car off, came back turned it on and it started playing the same album but the playlist title was different. I had to go to the next playlist and back for it to show the correct songs / playlist. Not a big deal since its easy fixes and it beats CDs anyday. My wife even said, wow I didnt know the factory system sounded this good. I have a new appreciation for the ML system.

Im happy with it even with the little quirks!
Old 03-22-12, 11:38 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Well the honey moon is over.

It sounds like the foam surround came apart on the speaker in the drivers side front door. I didnt even have the volume up loud? Ive never had a Bose speaker do this and in my V I had to really up the volume because of my exhaust and never had any speakers separate like this?? The previous owner was a middle-aged woman with kids, I doubt she was bassing.

Crappy quality but they do sound great.
Old 03-22-12, 11:44 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Well the honey moon is over.

It sounds like the foam surround came apart on the speaker in the drivers side front door. I didnt even have the volume up loud? Ive never had a Bose speaker do this and in my V I had to really up the volume because of my exhaust and never had any speakers separate like this?? The previous owner was a middle-aged woman with kids, I doubt she was bassing.

Crappy quality but they do sound great.
Brother, these damn ML stereos are the very definition of a "love/hate relationship", trust me. They are not built to last and they are not built to the highest standards either. But when everything is working properly, they can sound pretty damn good, for a factory setup that it.
Old 03-22-12, 12:13 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

You arent lying!

Sewell has it for $126. Not too bad but who knows how long it'll be before the other speakers crap apart too.

EDIT: Its $143 a speaker. I was looking at the wrong one and wasnt signed in to get my discount. $143 for 1 speaker, WOW.
Attached Thumbnails Thinking about just installing my Vaistech and BeatSonic myself, should I?-img_4712.jpg   Thinking about just installing my Vaistech and BeatSonic myself, should I?-img_4713.jpg  

Last edited by RCsGX; 03-22-12 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-22-12, 12:23 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude, if you have my luck, the answer is 3 days, lol.

I ordered a new passenger side front ML speaker for my other Lexus from Sewell along with a bunch of other things I needed/wanted. I had been driving around with it blown for a long time and out of sheer laziness never got around to replacing it. So I finally get the speaker, get it installed, along with a new subwoofer (my 2nd replacement sub mind you, another long, ML sucks story), and the stereo sounds phenomenal. Now I get what all of the hooplah is about over these Mark Levinson Stereos I tell myself.

3 days.

3 days later, my driver side speaker blows. For months I had been driving around with one blown speaker. I replace it and within 3 days another one blows.

Man was I disgusted! From now on, if I ever have a ML speaker go, Ill just order them in pairs. And yeah, I agree, they arent cheap, especially considering what they are compared to what the aftermarket offers for similar or less $$. But then if you went aftermarket, youd be underdriving them and should really be upgrading your amp too.
Old 03-22-12, 12:35 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I actually was looking at the wrong part. With my discount its $143 for the 6x9 ML, pretty steep for 1 6x9!

I havent really looked into the ML system yet but I know on my V it was a pain and very expensive to replace the Bose with aftermarket speakers / amps. At this point if it is doable Id rather throw $500-$700 on replacing everything with aftermarket if these ML speakers are constantly separating from themselves. I have a few JL slash amps from my Tundra so Id really just need new speakers and Im pretty good about wiring but I think completely redoing the entire GX is way over my head, so throw in another $200-$300 for complete install.

Man this sucks, I havent had my GX for 2 weeks and Im already needing to replace stuff.
Old 03-22-12, 02:33 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Well the passenger side surround is blown too, just not as bad. The drivers side was getting annoying so I put the fader towards the passengers side and its the same type of noise just not as loud.

You arent lying about buying them in pairs. LOL
Old 08-19-13, 10:36 AM
bbird68
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 GX470 without OEM Navigation. Does anyone know of an aftermarket navigation/radio/dvd system will fit in this model? Also looking for a dash kit that would compliment the wood surround.
Old 10-20-13, 01:37 PM
jmwmnl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bbird68,
Here is the link for my DIY install into our 05 GX470 with NO nav and NON-ml sound system.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...o-install.html