GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

First Time at Dealership.....for giggles

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-16, 01:52 PM
River19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time at Dealership.....for giggles

So I have a new to me 2009 GX with 83K on the ticker.....82k when I got it, before I got it I had them replace the worn out air shocks up front for standard shocks and springs from a 4Runner.....enough of this spendy air stuff.....

I brought it to the dealership today for an oil change and correctly assumed they would go ape **** and come up with a laundry list of stuff to do to the rig. Mind you before I bought it I pulled the full history of the vehicle and know that the timing belt and pump were done early.....water pump leak most likely drove that decision.

So here is the list totally $4000 in their eyes......most of which I didn't have them do:
  • Oil Change
  • Check the Clunk TSB....wasn't performed ....wanted $640 to do it (I think I will just hit the zerks with grease every few months)
  • Alternator is crap
  • Battery is now crap due to alternator
  • Serpentine Belt is dry and cracking.......
  • Air Filter "Dirty"
  • Cabin Filter "Dirty"
  • Transmission fluid is original and needs to be changed
  • Rear Wiper insert is done
  • Exhaust Doughnut Seals are "almost gone".......yet there is no sign of a leak
  • "Rear Axle Seal is leaking".......wanted all the money in the world for this as it sounds scary lol
Needless to say I did only the stuff I didn't feel like doing in the dark in the driveway.......belt, alternator and trans fluid change as I talked him down about $100 on the fluid change and I don't have to deal with disposing of it.....

Just replaced the battery on the way home (they were right it was crapped) and both filters took me 8 mins total........

Already threw studded snow tires on so that aspect is done as well

Weathertech mats front to cargo area all in now too.....

I'll watch the rear driveshaft seal......there isn't enough spatter for me to think "leak" right away but there is some......but it could have been the initial dealership I bought it from as they listed out lubing the shaft......so it could be extra grease that just spun its way around.

If the seal needs to be done, local shop will bang it out for me much cheaper......

First and probably last time to the Lexus dealership.......enjoyed the time while I was there.......I think the GX is most likely pretty set for the next 30-50K.
Old 12-12-16, 02:11 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by River19
So I have a new to me 2009 GX with 83K on the ticker.....82k when I got it, before I got it I had them replace the worn out air shocks up front for standard shocks and springs from a 4Runner.....enough of this spendy air stuff.....

I brought it to the dealership today for an oil change and correctly assumed they would go ape **** and come up with a laundry list of stuff to do to the rig. Mind you before I bought it I pulled the full history of the vehicle and know that the timing belt and pump were done early.....water pump leak most likely drove that decision.

So here is the list totally $4000 in their eyes......most of which I didn't have them do:
  • Oil Change
  • Check the Clunk TSB....wasn't performed ....wanted $640 to do it (I think I will just hit the zerks with grease every few months)
  • Alternator is crap
  • Battery is now crap due to alternator
  • Serpentine Belt is dry and cracking.......
  • Air Filter "Dirty"
  • Cabin Filter "Dirty"
  • Transmission fluid is original and needs to be changed
  • Rear Wiper insert is done
  • Exhaust Doughnut Seals are "almost gone".......yet there is no sign of a leak
  • "Rear Axle Seal is leaking".......wanted all the money in the world for this as it sounds scary lol
Needless to say I did only the stuff I didn't feel like doing in the dark in the driveway.......belt, alternator and trans fluid change as I talked him down about $100 on the fluid change and I don't have to deal with disposing of it.....

Just replaced the battery on the way home (they were right it was crapped) and both filters took me 8 mins total........

Already threw studded snow tires on so that aspect is done as well

Weathertech mats front to cargo area all in now too.....

I'll watch the rear driveshaft seal......there isn't enough spatter for me to think "leak" right away but there is some......but it could have been the initial dealership I bought it from as they listed out lubing the shaft......so it could be extra grease that just spun its way around.

If the seal needs to be done, local shop will bang it out for me much cheaper......

First and probably last time to the Lexus dealership.......enjoyed the time while I was there.......I think the GX is most likely pretty set for the next 30-50K.
FYI, you never had air shocks up front. You had electronically damped oil shocks. There are no air shocks on the GX, only the air springs in the rear that adjust ride height for towing, etc.

But enjoy your new front shocks! And when your air springs (bags as some call them) go in the back, you can certainly swap them out for traditional springs as I'm sure you know.
Old 12-12-16, 03:19 PM
River19
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mstrsltr
FYI, you never had air shocks up front. You had electronically damped oil shocks. There are no air shocks on the GX, only the air springs in the rear that adjust ride height for towing, etc.

But enjoy your new front shocks! And when your air springs (bags as some call them) go in the back, you can certainly swap them out for traditional springs as I'm sure you know.
I knew that....not sure why I said air shocks......air bags rear and the electronically damped stuff front and rear.....got it....thanks for the correction

The stockish 4runner stuff I had put up front is really only a place holder for either Fox or Icon all around......I have 2 other modded trucks so this needs to stay "stockish" for now. I don't think I will want much of a lift if any so I figured I would live with the current setup to see what I like and don't like about it. So far, I like the "plush" Lexus ride vs. my lifted 2001 Tundra and leveled (on 35" tires) 2014 Ram 2500.......might lean towards keeping this with stock tire size and roughly the same ride height.

And these headlights will be getting upgraded bulbs this week.....these things suck in comparison :-)

Quick edit - All that above being said....I love this rig and have been looking for one for a couple years off and on after weighing all options from Land Cruiser to LX, to 4Runner.......VVTi version of the 4.7L is very smooth and mated to this transmission it is like butter compared to the 4+OD I have in the Tundra......that being said, I love that Tundra, new frame in 2011 at 155K and now it is reasonably modded and still running strong at 230K or so......

Last edited by River19; 12-12-16 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-12-16, 04:07 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by River19
I knew that....not sure why I said air shocks......air bags rear and the electronically damped stuff front and rear.....got it....thanks for the correction

The stockish 4runner stuff I had put up front is really only a place holder for either Fox or Icon all around......I have 2 other modded trucks so this needs to stay "stockish" for now. I don't think I will want much of a lift if any so I figured I would live with the current setup to see what I like and don't like about it. So far, I like the "plush" Lexus ride vs. my lifted 2001 Tundra and leveled (on 35" tires) 2014 Ram 2500.......might lean towards keeping this with stock tire size and roughly the same ride height.

And these headlights will be getting upgraded bulbs this week.....these things suck in comparison :-)

Quick edit - All that above being said....I love this rig and have been looking for one for a couple years off and on after weighing all options from Land Cruiser to LX, to 4Runner.......VVTi version of the 4.7L is very smooth and mated to this transmission it is like butter compared to the 4+OD I have in the Tundra......that being said, I love that Tundra, new frame in 2011 at 155K and now it is reasonably modded and still running strong at 230K or so......
Yeah, I hear you on the ride quality. I've only owned used Lexus for 10 years now, I've had three in that time span, and when it came time to trade the last one in, on impulse I got an FJ Cruiser. It was fun for about 6 months and then I got really tired of the sloppy handling and overall spartan experience. It's a bad-*** off-road vehicle for sure, but it's a real pig on the road. So I found a GX470 and can very happily say I absolutely love the way it drives, not to mention all the luxurious features, and I can't wait to do a few key mods to make it really off-road capable.

And sorry, didn't mean to jump on you or anything re: the suspension, I think it was the over eager research hound that I turned into over the last three months while searching for my GX.
Old 12-12-16, 04:24 PM
River19
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mstrsltr
Yeah, I hear you on the ride quality. I've only owned used Lexus for 10 years now, I've had three in that time span, and when it came time to trade the last one in, on impulse I got an FJ Cruiser. It was fun for about 6 months and then I got really tired of the sloppy handling and overall spartan experience. It's a bad-*** off-road vehicle for sure, but it's a real pig on the road. So I found a GX470 and can very happily say I absolutely love the way it drives, not to mention all the luxurious features, and I can't wait to do a few key mods to make it really off-road capable.

And sorry, didn't mean to jump on you or anything re: the suspension, I think it was the over eager research hound that I turned into over the last three months while searching for my GX.
I didn't take it that way at all.......been dealing with forums of every type since the late 90s, you develop a thick skin.......

My challenge is that we drive 225 miles up to our cabin every weekend and spend plenty of time on class III and IV roads, have real winter and the 5th season.....mud season to contend with. So I need all my vehicles to perform really well in those conditions from winter to mud season to spring/summer hauling bikes to hunting season hauling dogs and gear......but I need it buttery smooth at 75mph for all the highway miles in between.

The Tundra handles everything well but it is so modded that wears on us for weeks on end (headers + custom side dump exhaust, lift, etc.), the Ram is my spendy baby with all the toys and hauls our horse trailer around so that doesn't get too much cabin duty except in summer on occasion......and we are moving away from our Rav4 lease in the spring so....the GX470 fills the swiss army knife role.......very well so far.