GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-15, 03:59 PM
gr8diver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air bags

I had to replace the rear suspension air bags on my 04 last yr. It had about 100K on it..I drove around for awhile as sometimes it would pump up and ride fine..after awhile and when it started riding completely deflated and was a hard ride, I ordered a conversion kit and was going to put it in, in place of the original...
I didn't put the conversion kit in but took it to the dealer and had it repaired...while it was there I had the timing belt replaced...I think I paid $2300 for everything.

I still have the conversion kit sitting in the original box, never opened if someone wants to convert rather than pay the dealer. I paid about $450 with shipping..will take reasonable offers.
Old 06-24-15, 08:06 AM
Kwero
Driver School Candidate

I had problems with the suspension system (Rear & front) on my 2003 GX470. Its too much bumpy when riding off-road, however, I recently did suspension system overhaul; stabilizers butches, new shocks, control arms butches, when VSC warning lights came ON through out
Old 06-25-15, 05:30 AM
GRAYM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PROJECT COMPLETE!!! I replaced the rear suspension with Strutmaster conversion kit and I cannot believe the difference. first of all it rides great, has additional clearance and in my opinion is better than the original ride....I 've had my 03 since new and at 237K it runs like a charm. Next project is the front suspension, since that is all original.

BTW...Lexus quoted 4-5K to do this job...all in it cost me $537! Seriously if you have this issue and have over 150K on the truck go to coils...it will last longer than the replacement airbags and at that point who cares about resale, they'll screw you anyway on resale no matter what. No blinking dash lights and I also took the center console controls out and put in the small box to store my cell etc.
Old 08-05-15, 10:35 AM
nds
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks, you have written pretty good information in your thread.

Originally Posted by Jafch1
Heres the best way to figure out which component of the air suspension has died out.

With the car on, raise the height control to HIGH. Once it has reached this height, turn the car off and look at the height between the tire and the wheel fenders. Leave your car over night or a few hours and return to it. Has the measurement changed from when you had pumped it up? If so, you have a faulty airbag OR leaking air hose.

The best way to diagnose the issue above is to go get a spray bottle with soapy water. Spray down the airbags and the air suspension hoses. If you notice any soap bubbles starting to form, there is your leak!

Also while down under your vehicle, inspect the airbags. Do they have cracks in them? Does the plastic/rubber material look to be in good condition?

This is no good.

......................................................................................................................
If the above did not yield you any luck, then proceed reading.

Go underneath your car with a 10mm wrench. To the side of both airbags, you will see this metal arm:

Using your 10MM wrench, go ahead and adjust both sides to the same setting, while adjusting the arms, raise and lower them with your hand and if possible, get some WD-40 and spray the living heck out of them. Then go into your GX and re-calibrate the air suspension (process shown below) and go for a drive.

On a side note, if you have ever turn your vehicle off and exited from the cabin only to hear what sounded like air coming out of the back suspension. That is completely normal, as long as it stops within 2-8 seconds. That is the rear air suspension removing the excess pressure it built up while on your drive &leveling itself.

Anytime you do any adjustment to the air suspension system it needs to be calibrated. Personally I do this about once a week, or anytime I feel the rear end isn't 100% in tune.

Start vehicle, and confirm the height control says the vehicle is in normal height.
Lower vehicle to low, and wait for the light to turn solid.
Raise vehicle to Normal height, and wait for the system light to turn solid.
Raise vehicle to HIGH height, and wait for the system light to turn solid.
Lower the vehicle to NORNAL, and wait for the light to turn solid.
DONE.

The system is not calibrated and knows its Low,Normal,High positions. It is recommended you do this on a flat surface, and while the vehicle is parked.

Any questions? Feel free to ask.

references:
Lexus Emp.
GX470 owner with one too many RAS problems.

Hi Jafch1,
As you mentioned in your thread that air leaks for 2 to 8 secs, in my case it leaks for longer time. Ride is very bumpy seems like air ride is not working at all. Restarted again after few miles of bumpy ride, there was no leak heard. What could be the problem?
Old 08-05-15, 12:46 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

It's normal for the pump to run for a few seconds after the people get out, as it readjusts to the new vehicle weight.

If it runs longer than 8-10 seconds then there may be a leak. Follow the procedure above with a soapy water sprayer to locate where the air is coming out. If you don't see any bubbles, consult your mechanic as it's likely something else.

Chip H.
Old 08-05-15, 08:49 PM
nds
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks Chiph

Originally Posted by chiph9
It's normal for the pump to run for a few seconds after the people get out, as it readjusts to the new vehicle weight.

If it runs longer than 8-10 seconds then there may be a leak. Follow the procedure above with a soapy water sprayer to locate where the air is coming out. If you don't see any bubbles, consult your mechanic as it's likely something else.

Chip H.
Thanks for the suggestion, but why it starts second time without any leak. However ride is still bumpy in both cases.
Old 08-06-15, 06:53 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

If the leak is on the edge of the airbag, the support could be occasionally blocking it, depending on how it settled once it parked.

Chip H.
Old 08-06-15, 07:15 AM
new2012jee
Rookie

Originally Posted by chiph9
If the leak is on the edge of the airbag, the support could be occasionally blocking it, depending on how it settled once it parked.

Chip H.
Would a rear spring conversion kit alleviate some of the bumpiness of the ride?

I am not seeing how an airbag can help with a nice ride, but perhaps I don't understand the concept.
Old 08-06-15, 07:52 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

how old is the truck...those air bags have an end life...rubber inflating and deflating multilple times everyday, weather? i see you are michigan...salt...they crack and dry up....just like us...
Old 09-17-15, 07:15 AM
nikki1974
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your post. I am in a unique situation and ask for your experties. I am stationed overseas in the middle east with the government and I brought my 2007 GX470 with me. A couple of months ago the rear suspension air compressor started coming on more frequently. Really loud noise. Today I took it into a local mechanic shop and he thinks it is the shock absorber that needs to be replaced. I need to order any parts needed from the states. Thanks for any and all help...

Old 09-17-15, 09:41 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by new2012jee
Would a rear spring conversion kit alleviate some of the bumpiness of the ride?

I am not seeing how an airbag can help with a nice ride, but perhaps I don't understand the concept.
My truck literally just got converted to springs. I used FJ cruiser springs and in all honesty under normal driving it rides a bit rougher. It does, however, handle larger bumps much better and I no longer get the bottoming out feeling or hard jounce I did with the bags. My bags weren't leaking, my compressor went bad. It was throwing a compressor exhaust valve solenoid code for almost a year, so yes, there is an exhaust solenoid that regulates the amount of air in the bags. I actually prefer the "ever so slight" rougher ride, the truck seems more responsive.
Old 09-17-15, 10:46 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by nikki1974
Thanks for your post. I am in a unique situation and ask for your experties. I am stationed overseas in the middle east with the government and I brought my 2007 GX470 with me. A couple of months ago the rear suspension air compressor started coming on more frequently. Really loud noise. Today I took it into a local mechanic shop and he thinks it is the shock absorber that needs to be replaced. I need to order any parts needed from the states. Thanks for any and all help...

Air spring probably leaking
Old 09-17-15, 03:04 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

What are the signs of air bag leaking?
I never hear the compressor run for no reason but it does seem that if I put the suspension to high once every 2 weeks and let it drop back to normal height, it seems to be more comfortable, but could be all in my head (found this info on another thread)
Old 09-18-15, 12:05 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
What are the signs of air bag leaking?
I never hear the compressor run for no reason but it does seem that if I put the suspension to high once every 2 weeks and let it drop back to normal height, it seems to be more comfortable, but could be all in my head (found this info on another thread)
A sagging rear end after sitting and ultimately premature compressor failure.
Old 10-08-15, 11:39 AM
cgdrennan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am suspecting an air suspension problem similar to this as well. My height control works and my compressor does not seem to come on more than usual, but at normal height the rear seems to sit a little lower than it should... although the bump stops are never resting on the axle. I would say the gap is about 2". At normal height the measurement from the center of the wheel to the fender ranges from 20.5" -21". High mode = 22.25". Low = 19.5". Tires are 265/65/17. Since my height control works I don't suspect the sensors, and since the bumpstops never rest on the axle should I suspect a bags or hose leaking? I feel bottoming out over speed bumps and other similar bumps as well.

Other GXs I see seem to be a little higher in the rear. Any help would be great!

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions