GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-12, 12:10 PM
2OnyxLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright guys here we go. Shaft is replaced, new height sensors are in. The vehicle auto levels. Still a stiff ride. Like I said before shocks are shot. Did some more research and came up with these:
http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...d7_pid141.html

I think with these set ups, you just lose your autodampening. Am I right or wrong?
Old 03-27-12, 12:36 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-t...3-gx470-3.html[/QUOTE]

cool, very good info thanx again man
Old 03-27-12, 01:10 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2OnyxLexus
Alright guys here we go. Shaft is replaced, new height sensors are in. The vehicle auto levels. Still a stiff ride. Like I said before shocks are shot. Did some more research and came up with these:

I think with these set ups, you just lose your autodampening. Am I right or wrong?
Yes, no more autodampening. These bilsteins are $399 and rear OEM Shocks are around $460? Might as well stick with OEM, right>
Old 03-27-12, 01:33 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocks
Yes, no more autodampening. These bilsteins are $399 and rear OEM Shocks are around $460? Might as well stick with OEM, right>

OEM rear struts are $461 per side, not including the front shocks which are $231 per side.

Bilsteins would definitely be the cheaper route if youre keeping the airbags. Front & rear Bilsteins are only $399 from Toytec: http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

EDIT: Just noticed youre talking about the Bilsteins on arnott. Youd still save money even going with those. Buying a pair is still cheaper than one rear OEM strut.

Last edited by RCsGX; 03-27-12 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-27-12, 01:57 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

actually i just checked the service manual, the airbag is easily removed so when u put springs in you are good to go, it's not hard at att... but how do people disable the height sensor? just take out the fuse for it?

side note, suncore on ebay had the complete kit front rear shocks (4) and rear springs (2) for $700 but i wonder if their quality is comparable to toytec or other makers?
Old 03-27-12, 02:06 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by clubsport
actually i just checked the service manual, the airbag is easily removed so when u put springs in you are good to go, it's not hard at att...
As soon as you go over a big dip and your rear end drops the spring can easily pop out. Once you remove the airbag there nothing there to secure the bottom of the spring in place. Just a little word of advice, read up on other sites regarding the airbag / spring swap in our GX. I have and I can tell you its not as simple as removing the airbag and adding a spring.

From the link I added in a few posts above:

Originally Posted by DanKunz

Step 2:

Add rear suspension...this was a bit more tricky.

We removed the entire AHC system, pump, airlines, bags, shock, etc. ACC had to rebuild from scratch:

Upper buckets from an FJ:

Sexy lowers by Brian at ACC:

Fabbed up a ramp and raised tube to retain the spring a la stock setup:

EDIT:
Also see: http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4266

Look at the spring picture in post #19, noticed theres NOTHING keeping the bottom spring in place.

read post #20 and read his response # 29. You need something to keep the spring in place.

Last edited by RCsGX; 03-27-12 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-27-12, 02:12 PM
2OnyxLexus
Rookie

$399 for the pair. What do you guys think about the auto dampening? Good to have? Not good to have? Will they ride the same? I like to keep things oem but damn. If the ride quality is the same then it's a no brainer to me.
Old 03-27-12, 02:16 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RCsGX
OEM rear struts are $461 per side, not including the front shocks which are $231 per side.

Bilsteins would definitely be the cheaper route if youre keeping the airbags. Front & rear Bilsteins are only $399 from Toytec: http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

EDIT: Just noticed youre talking about the Bilsteins on arnott. Youd still save money even going with those. Buying a pair is still cheaper than one rear OEM strut.
My bad, I thought blisteins were $399 each.
Old 03-27-12, 02:20 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

2OnyxLexus,

Sorry to hear the ride is still stiff. I had my rear height sensors replaced last week and I can tell the differences. The problem was definitely the sensors and the ride is like when I bought the vehicle two years ago.
Old 03-27-12, 02:21 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

$399 for the pair. What do you guys think about the auto dampening? Good to have? Not good to have? Will they ride the same? I like to keep things oem but damn. If the ride quality is the same then it's a no brainer to me.
Thats for you to decide. If you like to change the ride from soft to firm then stick with stock. If you dont care go with the Bilsteins from Arnott. If it were me Id go with the front and rear Bilstein 5100s and set the fronts at 0" lift (stock ride height). You can buy front and rear 5100s for the same price you can get the fronts only from Arnott.
Old 03-27-12, 02:32 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

ur right about the spring needing to be held in place and remember reading somewhere the cups keep them in place but i guess you still need something similar to a shock pillar in the center too... thanx
Old 03-27-12, 02:40 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

well, i think a med size dremel and smaller one should take care of the aribag no problem, i wonder why they didn't do it that way instead of fabricating the brackedts upper/lower cup like that? lmk
Old 03-28-12, 06:34 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Whatever happened to the bilstein 5100's? Did you install them yet?
I'm trying to figure out a way to remove the stockers without having to cut off the tops as they are rusted. I don't want the dealer to see the bilsteins when i go in for sensors once they go out again. Do you think the bilsteins will void warranty?
Old 03-28-12, 06:48 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

If you have the 5100s set at 0" lift how could they void your warranty, theyre just shocks. If you lifted 1-2" then maybe they can say that was the cause of the failure.

What perch do you have them set to?
Old 03-28-12, 09:36 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

2OnyxLexus,

Sorry to hear the ride is still stiff. I had my rear height sensors replaced last week and I can tell the differences. The problem was definitely the sensors and the ride is like when I bought the vehicle two years ago.
Where did you get them replaced and how much did it cost you?

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions