GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-14, 05:22 PM
Mydogsmooc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wheel shaking and feels like bouncing . Realigned, rebalanced, Dealer insists it's tires, firestone says no way. Dealer says definitely not airbag. So frustrating, need to pay for new tires (under warranty, but put 10k miles on since replaced). This is why I don't keep cars past warranty, can't trust anyone. Frustrated!
Old 05-05-14, 06:40 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I've never had the best of luck with Firestone, their tires or their service.

Find a shop that has a Hunter GSP9700 and ask for them to do a road-force balance.

http://www.gsp9700.com

Chip H.
Old 05-05-14, 09:36 PM
mbenz80
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mydogsmooc
Wheel shaking and feels like bouncing . Realigned, rebalanced, Dealer insists it's tires, firestone says no way. Dealer says definitely not airbag. So frustrating, need to pay for new tires (under warranty, but put 10k miles on since replaced). This is why I don't keep cars past warranty, can't trust anyone. Frustrated!
Definitely sounds like a bad tire (possibly internal steel belting snapped). If it is just one, buy new tire or claim replacement and you will not notice 10K difference between the other used three.
I trust only Michelin and Dunlop, all other brands are for emergency or spare purpose only, especially with agresive suspension like on Mercedes and Lexus built for high load & speed.
In your case, I would install your spare in the place of each rear wheel and test drive to find out what side is defective. I'm sure Firestone has at least 40-50K miles free or pro-rated replacement warranty. I never go to stealer since I do all repairs on my own but I would trust him on this one!
Old 07-01-14, 09:50 AM
maryschmid
Driver School Candidate

Default trade in NOW

Originally Posted by redrocks
2OnyxLexus,

Sorry to hear the ride is still stiff. I had my rear height sensors replaced last week and I can tell the differences. The problem was definitely the sensors and the ride is like when I bought the vehicle two years ago.
Just wait, soon your wiring will corrode and your computer will fry and then it will cost above $5000 to fix...
Old 07-01-14, 09:55 AM
maryschmid
Driver School Candidate

My Toyota Land Cruiser, 2006, built same as the Lexus, has had suspension troubles, first the sensors,
NOW, the wires are corroded and back fed to the computer, after spending $2000. to diagnosis this problem
there is nothing they can do under $5000.00, so now I have a new computer in the truck which will get fried as well because it is not cost effective to fix the suspension. I bought this truck due to its suspension and smooth ride, little did I know the truck isn't built like a truck and is fragile to say the least, this truck has NEVER been off road, and rides like a tank, a bouncy tank. HORRIBLE, TOYOTA SHOULD BE ASHAMED! Over $72,000 for a truck to last only 8 years and 120,000 miles. Just a warning people, this is an inevitable problem!!! Design FLAW
Old 07-01-14, 12:30 PM
mbenz80
Rookie

Originally Posted by maryschmid
My Toyota Land Cruiser, 2006, built same as the Lexus, has had suspension troubles, first the sensors,
NOW, the wires are corroded and back fed to the computer, after spending $2000. to diagnosis this problem
there is nothing they can do under $5000.00, so now I have a new computer in the truck which will get fried as well because it is not cost effective to fix the suspension. I bought this truck due to its suspension and smooth ride, little did I know the truck isn't built like a truck and is fragile to say the least, this truck has NEVER been off road, and rides like a tank, a bouncy tank. HORRIBLE, TOYOTA SHOULD BE ASHAMED! Over $72,000 for a truck to last only 8 years and 120,000 miles. Just a warning people, this is an inevitable problem!!! Design FLAW
Mary, sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your ride.
Maybe changing dealership for your repairs would help.
Yes, some corrosion in height sensors after 10 years do to seals but 3V in them should not fry anything. Did they at least showed you your bad (fried) parts & new module fixed the problem?
I have over 280,000 miles on my 11 years old GX470.
Old 07-02-14, 07:30 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by maryschmid
Our GX does not even share the same air ride system as the LC. You're confusing our GX470 with a LX470.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx470-and-lx450-202/
Old 07-28-14, 05:33 PM
Way2go
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

Just found this thread while searching for help with my suspension problem. I live in Australia, but hopefully someone will have some ideas about my problem, as no-one I've approached to date has a clue!

I have a Toyota Prado 120 Grande, essentially the same as the Lexus GX470. 2004 model, lots of mods - extended airbags, long travel shocks, HD springs and shocks up front (2.5" lift all round), plus a heap of other stuff.

My suspension, however, is not fully functional. I can raise and lower it using the switch on the centre console, however the auto-levelling doesn't work. As the load in the back changes, I have to reset the height by using the console switch to raise or lower the rear then go back to N - at which time it sets it to the correct height regardless of the load. Given I have a 'workaround' it's not such a problem most of the time, however loading up for big outback trips, or hitching up the camper trailer or the boat always means having to remember to go through the steps just mentioned.

I'm hoping it's not the ECU (given the other controls work), or the sensors (or else it wouldn't be working at all either).

What other ideas does anyone have? I'm fairly limited in my electrical knowledge or abilities with cars, so have to get an auto electrician to perform most tests, etc., suggested, so if Ican get a list of things to do/try I can get them all tried in the one go (saves a bit of money and time!).

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Steve
Old 09-10-14, 07:46 AM
getiton
Driver School Candidate

Help needed here. I'm going to try to fix my MIL's 2007 GX 470. She has a ton of miles on it (170K or something) she's got this rear suspension dilemma. Here's what I know so far. I drove the car for about 5 minutes the other day and the right rear shock or air spring or both seem to be gone.

The suspension in the right rear is completely compressed (wheel up in fender well) and all other wheel heights look fine. The front looks a little lifted of course due to the right rear being so low. When you drive the car the right rear bounces comically and it feels like your riding in one of Dr. Dre's impala's circa 1992. When fully on the brakes (rear decompression) or accelerating hard from a stop (compression) it's not so bad, but everything in between is extremely bouncy.

I've searched here and my best guess so far is that the right rear airbag is gone and maybe the shock too? Is it right that the height level sensors would have the entire back of the car raised or lowered as opposed to just one side?

She's been driving it in this state for months and it has just gotten worse and worse. If it was my car I would go straight for the 4runner retrofit setup in the rear and not deal with the potential $5000 or more headache that could come from this issue in the near future.

Main questions are: would you go ahead and throw a new air spring at the problem, swap out to the 4runner setup right away or something different? What are a couple quick test I can do with the ride height control to see how/if it's working. Lastly, for those who have converted to the rear 4runner setup, is the ride THAT much harsher?

Thanks!
Old 09-10-14, 08:42 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Not sure a bad air-bag will result in only one side being low -- I thought the left & right sides were connected via the air line, so if one goes, both go flat. ??

The bouncy thing is certainly bad shocks. Your mechanic can tell you which one(s) are bad - but my guess, based on the mileage/age/description, is "all of them".

Get the airbag fixed (or go to coils) and be prepared to pay extra for shocks.

Chip H.
Old 09-10-14, 09:21 AM
getiton
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help, I've been digging around a little more. Went ahead and ordered the oem 4runner rear shocks since they're dirt cheap. Good to hear there's just one pneumatic pump for both bags though, that's a good hint. I'm guessing the right rear bag is done for, and the bump stop is providing the "hop" that the blown shock isn't doing anything about.

I'll be doing all the wrenching on it, and I'm hoping I can talk her into the coil setup so she doesn't get mad at me for things like pump actuators failing, etc. Are any of the aftermarket air spring offerings worth getting? Arnott? Should I just grab the OEM ones for $230/per or whatever?
Old 09-10-14, 05:22 PM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by getiton
Thanks for the help, I've been digging around a little more. Went ahead and ordered the oem 4runner rear shocks since they're dirt cheap. Good to hear there's just one pneumatic pump for both bags though, that's a good hint. I'm guessing the right rear bag is done for, and the bump stop is providing the "hop" that the blown shock isn't doing anything about.

I'll be doing all the wrenching on it, and I'm hoping I can talk her into the coil setup so she doesn't get mad at me for things like pump actuators failing, etc. Are any of the aftermarket air spring offerings worth getting? Arnott? Should I just grab the OEM ones for $230/per or whatever?

You'll need this to retrofit coil springs in the rear. 4runner coils should fit fine in addition. You might want to order springs from Beno over at ih8mud.com for the best OEM prices.
Old 09-24-14, 03:57 PM
getiton
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE- I took out the rear airbags last weekend, and installed coil kit with 4runner springs. Ended up keeping the shocks in (which seem fine), and we get to retain the sport/comfort setting (which is never used anyway). Anyone have a good way to stop the blinking off light under the ride control on the instrument cluster after switching to the coil setup? I left the sensors plugged in and just taped off the tubes that led to the old bags. Unplugged the two Air Suspension fuses under the hood, but didn't touch any relays.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Old 09-24-14, 04:01 PM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^did you use the metaltech kit, for the lights theres a fuse you can pull
Old 09-24-14, 07:14 PM
Barnesie
Driver

Originally Posted by getiton
UPDATE- I took out the rear airbags last weekend, and installed coil kit with 4runner springs. Ended up keeping the shocks in (which seem fine), and we get to retain the sport/comfort setting (which is never used anyway). Anyone have a good way to stop the blinking off light under the ride control on the instrument cluster after switching to the coil setup? I left the sensors plugged in and just taped off the tubes that led to the old bags. Unplugged the two Air Suspension fuses under the hood, but didn't touch any relays.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Wish I could help you on the blinking dash light, but I have not yet done the conversion. How do the 4runner springs feel and do they retain the stock height of the truck? Thanks. I am thinking about doing this conversion in the next year or so. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions