GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Are you running a K&N air filter in your GX? If so, is it a lot thinner than stock?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-12, 05:45 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Are you running a K&N air filter in your GX? If so, is it a lot thinner than stock?

I installed mine today and noticed it was almost half as thick as th stock paper filter. Not looking for opinions of oil into the MAF, waste of $$ etc, we all have our theories and dead horses should be left alone IMO. But I was just surprised it was a different thickness, though otherwise it fit just fine.

Anyone else running the same and found the same? Seems I have the right part #
Old 03-05-12, 06:01 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For drop-in K&N filters? Aren't they supposed to be "thinner", to allow more air to flow through?
Old 03-05-12, 06:03 PM
Muti007
Advanced

No, not always. They are usually the same size as stock.
Old 03-07-12, 11:11 AM
firemanbbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volant cold intake

I ordered a volant cold air intake, the toyota v8 of the same years is a direct bolt on, it only took me about 30 mins and its got a awesome sound.
Old 03-07-12, 11:17 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Toyota > K&N
Old 03-07-12, 11:38 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by ROK
Toyota > K&N
Very useful and informative as always, thanks!

OEM wheels > Pep Boys black wheels
Old 03-07-12, 03:20 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought they were supposed to be the same size so it would fit snugly. You may have the wrong model - those don't always match up with the reference book.

I would open the boxes at the store to see if you could find one that matched better.
Old 03-11-12, 05:27 PM
deegx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K&N is only better if you are racing in sand dunes. PERIOD.
Old 03-11-12, 05:44 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Muti007
Very useful and informative as always, thanks!

OEM wheels > Pep Boys black wheels
Post up your OEM setup and I'll post up mine. Let's have someone vote which they like better. Actually post up any of your rides against mine. Game over.

And while we're at it, why don't you go ahead and put in KN filters on your $15K S200 and $15K LS? No, you wouldn't? Why? Could the factory filter designed by Toyota and Honda possibly be the proven, reliable solution? Gasp!
Old 03-11-12, 06:08 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
Post up your OEM setup and I'll post up mine. Let's have someone vote which they like better. Actually post up any of your rides against mine. Game over.

And while we're at it, why don't you go ahead and put in KN filters on your $15K S200 and $15K LS? No, you wouldn't? Why? Could the factory filter designed by Toyota and Honda possibly be the proven, reliable solution? Gasp!
LOL! Ok Rok, calm down. LOL! You guys are way too serious!
Old 03-11-12, 06:40 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Posturing aside, one thing I am absolutely passionate about is keeping bad advice out of this forum.

K&N filters add NO proven value for our GX and other cars. In fact, the thinner paper may allow for more air to get in, but foreign particles as well. Any gains are next to impossible to substantiate due to the lack of proper equipment and real world data samples to measure. It opens you up to more risk for no tangible benefit.

So bottom-line, don't mess with what's not working. The factory filter is the best solution for our GX and countless number of other modern day cars. K&N air filter is a non-factor. Next.
Old 03-11-12, 08:05 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by ROK
Posturing aside, one thing I am absolutely passionate about is keeping bad advice out of this forum.

K&N filters add NO proven value for our GX and other cars. In fact, the thinner paper may allow for more air to get in, but foreign particles as well. Any gains are next to impossible to substantiate due to the lack of proper equipment and real world data samples to measure. It opens you up to more risk for no tangible benefit.

So bottom-line, don't mess with what's not working. The factory filter is the best solution for our GX and countless number of other modern day cars. K&N air filter is a non-factor. Next.
You type a lot so I assume you can also read too. Thats OT and has absolutely nothing to do with the thread. The K&N vs stock paper filter debate is one thats been had a million times by a million people and an argument not worth rehashing over and over again. So naturally, you figure hey, lets argue about it again so you can hear yourself talk again.

So basically, you have no answer to the question the thread is about yet you have a number of posts now in it. Bravo.
Old 03-11-12, 08:09 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by ROK

Post up my OEM setup what? So now because youre proud of your little ghetto rims and spray painting everything black that must mean my cars dont compare? Post them up against yours? How old are you? Game over? What game? Since you had nothing to add to this thread, no answer to the question, why babble on and on and on in it?

Oh, and I have a FIPK on my S2k with a K&N cone filter at the end of it and yes I have a K&N on my LS430 as well. Why the hell do you care? Who asked for your advice or opinion? Trust me when I tell you, around here neither is worth much.

Last edited by Muti007; 03-11-12 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-11-12, 09:36 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Muti007
Post up my OEM setup what? So now because youre proud of your little ghetto rims and spray painting everything black that must mean my cars dont compare? Post them up against yours? How old are you? Game over? What game? Since you had nothing to add to this thread, no answer to the question, why babble on and on and on in it?

Oh, and I have a FIPK on my S2k with a K&N cone filter at the end of it and yes I have a K&N on my LS430 as well. Why the hell do you care? Who asked for your advice or opinion? Trust me when I tell you, around here neither is worth much.
Exactly my point.

You run on the cheap and mess with stuff that make no difference whatsoever and go around asking questions about aftermarket parts that are inferior to stock parts and run them on your $55K three car setup.

My wheels cost $200 each that are hub-centric, wider and bigger than stock with warranty. I work on a budget like any of you guys and this gets the job done much, much better than stock. Check. They are shod with top shelf 285 AT tires that don't rub in combo with aforementioned wheels. Check. All the chintzy Lexus for your mom chrome bits have been painted semi-gloss black. Check. That's $4K right there that make a very real difference in looks and the driving experience. Triple check.

You? A bunch of band-aid, on-a-budget mods yet still pointing fingers at someone you know does it better than you all day, every day and chooses to share it with others in this good community.

My advice: Don't run K&N filters on your GX or any other car you own like this dude - stick with the factory elements.

Check, mate.

Last edited by ROK; 03-11-12 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-11-12, 09:44 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by ROK
Exactly my point.

You run on the cheap and mess with stuff that make no difference whatsoever and go around asking questions about aftermarket parts that are inferior to stock parts and run them on your $55K three car setup.

My wheels cost $200 each that are hub-centric, wider and bigger than stock with warranty. I work on a budget like any of you guys and this gets the job done much, much better than stock. Check. They are shod with top shelf 285 AT tires that don't rub in combo with aforementioned wheels. Check. All the chintzy Lexus for your mom chrome bits have been painted semi-gloss black. Check. That's $4K right there that make a very real difference in looks and the driving experience. Triple check.

You? A bunch of band-aid, on-a-budget mods yet still pointing fingers at someone you know does it better than you all day, every day and chooses to share it with others in this good community.

Check, mate.
Thats fantastic. So $200 wheels are expensive and painting chrome black makes a real difference in the driving experience. Check mate indeed Trump, I do in fact wish I did it as well as you. Is spray paint now more expensive than K&N filters? Did I come here looking for advice on my mods? I must have missed your "better" part. Either way, thanks for sharing.

Now, can you please go and bother one of the few other folks in a thread that isnt replete with people that either have you blocked or ignore you completely?

BTW, Im running 20 inch MRRs on the LS and Enkeis on my S2k. Each of my tires cost more than the little ghetto wheels you have on that ghetto cruiser youve turned that poor, defenseless Lexus into. Not that its relevant in this thread, which once again, youve turned into a "look at me, everyone look at me even though I have nothing to ad!!" thread.

Quick Reply: Are you running a K&N air filter in your GX? If so, is it a lot thinner than stock?