GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Purchasing a used gx, have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-12, 07:16 AM
mwrussell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing a used gx, have a few questions.

I've searched this forum and could not find answers to my questions.

I am looking at purchasing a used 05 gx. It has about 109k on the odometer, a lengthy carfax report showing that the maintenance has been kept up since day 1. It's a one owner and is very clean. While borrowing the car for an afternoon I noticed two issues that is causing hesitation.

While stopped at a light I kept getting feedback in the brake pedal, like a light thump in a pattern of two at a time.

The second, and this might be normal? While examining the outside of the car with the engine running I heard a sound at the rear of the car by the rear wheel. It sounds similar to a compressor, maybe for the air ride suspension. I checked the height control in the car and it was set to "N".

If someone can shed some light on what the possible causes might be, or advice in general I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you
Mark
Old 02-28-12, 07:22 AM
mikecu
8th Gear

Does the rear wheel noise go away if you shut the engine off with the ignition on?
I've heard noises from exhaust systems that sound like motors before.
Old 02-28-12, 11:28 AM
brycejaq
Driver

Originally Posted by mwrussell
The second, and this might be normal? While examining the outside of the car with the engine running I heard a sound at the rear of the car by the rear wheel. It sounds similar to a compressor, maybe for the air ride suspension. I checked the height control in the car and it was set to "N".
Not sure about your first issue...although I did have a somewhat similar problem w/ my 4Runner a while back...I got a tune-up done and the problem went away for me...

The second part (quoted above) is your air suspension. Even though it's in the "N" neutral position, the air still pressurizes & depressurizes when the car is turned on & off. It doesn't do it immediately, usually it takes 30 seconds either way.

Hope this helps you.
Old 02-28-12, 02:03 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first issues sounds like the well documented 'driveshaft clunk' you can search on this and find piles of information. There is an updated driveshaft available which apparently eliminates the problem but there was never a formal recall so it's somewhat hit and miss (mostly miss) if the car has had the fix already. If it's not the driveshaft, it could also be stuck brake calipers which are also extremely common.

The second issue sounds like the air compressor for the rear suspension. As long as it's not running continuously, and the ride height of the truck is level, it sounds normal.
Old 02-28-12, 02:07 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, thanks for using the search engine before posting questions.

1. Search your history on the cars servicing, to see if the driveshaft was ever replaced. The GX brakes, take a little getting used to. You have to press harder, then other vehicles, especially at a light. I had a problem releasing the brakes, easy enough, to just inch forward in my garage. I either lifted my foot up too far, or not enough. This is especially true at fast idle. When you are driving and press on the brakes lightly to stop, you should feel no fibration on the pedal or pulsating. If it feels like someone hit you from behind, then it is the driveshaft clunk.

2. brycejag is right about the air suspension. The compressor is located in that location. If it continued to run for a very long period of time, there might be a leak in the system.

Last edited by Ancient; 02-28-12 at 02:10 PM.