GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2007 470 GX won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-12, 11:45 AM
unabacia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 470 GX won't start

Interesting tale. After parking my GX on Friday night, it wouldn't start on Saturday. Starter seemed fine, Battery was cranking away but something seemed to be blocking fuel from getting to the carburetor. The Lexus dealer (50 miles away) said they never heard of a fuel pump or fuel filter being an issue on a 4 year old GX with 60K miles. I did take the battery to be tested and found out it was getting weak so I bought a replacement, but still couldn't start the vehicle.

I had AAA tow my GX to the closest dealer (Toyota) and they determined that mice had eaten through two sensor wires. They had to remove the manifold to get to the nest (?) or whatever they call these little mice homes. This meant new gaskets, replacing shredded wiring and sensors plus 4 hours labor.

Since I moved from the city to the country last year, this is the first I heard of this issue. Long term campers tell me the way they keep mice out of their engine compartments is by putting Bounce (anti-static dryer sheets) under the hood as this seems to stop the mice activity.
Old 02-07-12, 12:29 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When there isn't adequate food available, the mice eat the plastic jacket on the wires. This would be the same as having a squirrel or raccoon in the attic, they eat the plastic on the romxex wires. Not sure on the dryer sheets. You car must set for long periods of time, without being used for them to nest. They don't stay in there, when the car is running. Not on top of the engine block, they would be crispy critters.
Old 02-07-12, 12:35 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dad lives in the country and has this issue. Put some traps around the car and they will go for the food, thereby getting intercepted before they get to the car!
Old 02-07-12, 08:27 PM
JAH29
Driver School Candidate

after having to replace my chewed tractor ignition and spark plug wires (several times) an old neighbor taught me a pretty good trick. Throw mothballs all over the floor of the shed where all the power tools are stored. No problems for last 2 winters! This would NOT be a great idea for an attached garage as the smell is awful but maybe leaving just a few on a pie tin underneath? Good luck, those little ba$tards are awful.
Old 02-09-12, 10:08 AM
unabacia
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the great suggestions. I usually park in a carport so the mothball or trap suggestions would work.

My car sat idle for 9 months but it's been driven every day since June when I came back from Africa, including two trips across the U.S. in the last 8 moths. I don't think the damage was there when I got back from overseas, I think it's happened since and I don't understand how they set up the nest but they certainly chewed the wires in the last few weeks.
Old 02-11-12, 01:20 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by unabacia
Thanks for the great suggestions. I usually park in a carport so the mothball or trap suggestions would work.

My car sat idle for 9 months but it's been driven every day since June when I came back from Africa, including two trips across the U.S. in the last 8 moths. I don't think the damage was there when I got back from overseas, I think it's happened since and I don't understand how they set up the nest but they certainly chewed the wires in the last few weeks.
Use mint, It works. They now sell mint trash bags to keep mice and squirrels away. I live in MA also, What part are you in?
Old 02-13-12, 10:30 AM
unabacia
Driver School Candidate

@Rosco - Not in MA anymore, move to WA but haven't (can't) update my current zip code. Tell me how to use mint under the hood or in the manifold.
Old 02-19-12, 07:24 PM
jrbyrn
Driver School Candidate

Default rodent damage

I was just getting ready to post a new thread when I read this post.
I was parked outside a condo in Florida on vacation. The check engine light came on the next morning. Rodents had chewed the wire to the oxygen sensor and left droppings to prove they were there.
expensive repair because the intake manifold had to be removed to get to the sensors.
I think the comprehensive part of my insurance will cover the damage after $50 deductible.
I now have mothballs inside engine and under engine each night, plus bait blocks in landscaping close to vehicle. I'll add Bounce.
The ironic thing is I was worried about mice damage to my boat stored in the garage at home. Never worried about my GX on vacation
Old 02-20-12, 01:23 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

You might also talk to a condominium board member or the management company. Depending on your type of association, they may provide pest prevention as well. I know if it is a true condo, not a cluster home, that they probably due some pest prevention.
Old 02-20-12, 04:56 AM
jrbyrn
Driver School Candidate

Default rodent damage

Thanks. I talked to the manager. They have an exterminator come regularly. The problem is "palm rats
Old 02-20-12, 02:03 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

Sounds like they should bait and trap.