GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Is ""DVD bypass" what *I think it is and where do I get it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-12, 11:43 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is ""DVD bypass" what *I think it is and where do I get it?

While researching a couple things, I saw mention of the DVD bypass. I bought an 07 with ML and 6 disk /dvd changer. First of all, I havent even tried a DVD yet but Im guessing that being a DVD changer, maybe it can play movies while it is in park? IF not, what good is a DVD changer?

If it can, then I am going to assume the DVD bypass allows the system to play the DVDs while in drive and on the move as well. Do I have that right? If so, where do I order it from, how much and how hard is the install?

TIA
Old 02-03-12, 11:53 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Default Can you please name a few good Ipod kits?

Looking for one that will plug and play behind the dash so I can run it into the glove box. I want to be able to see everything on my nav/audio screen, be charging the ipod/iphone while connected and stilll use all screen and steering wheel controls as well. Also, dont want to lose the use of my cd changer or SAT radio. What do you guys suggest?

For my LS430 I bought the USA Spec PA15-Toy which a lot of people are running in their LS with great success. I havent gotten around to installing it yet, but you know how it is when you have multiple cars and a job that keeps you very busy, "its on the list", lol. This seems like it is also compatible with my GX as well but I wanted to ask you folks for similar suggestions and/or see if anyone is running the PA15-Toy in their GX as well.

TIA
Old 02-04-12, 08:15 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking for you, on the info on "lock-pic", something you can buy which is plug and play, that does other features as well. It plugs into the wiring harness, going to the cd for the nav, under the passenger seat. It might be mentioned in this very long thread on "DVD bi-pass" You might want to start reading here, while I am seaching for you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-pictures.html
Old 02-04-12, 08:25 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here we go, I found it:

http://www.coastaletech.com/BASIC_LOCKPICK.htm

There was some mention of the people updating the nav cd to the later version and it made Lockpick not function any more.

I have not done either mod or I could help you more, I have an 08, without the rear DVD system. I do have nav, ml.
Old 02-04-12, 08:27 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Hey thanks man, Ive been digging too. Founf the thread about cutting the 2 wires and grounding one of them. I did something similar in my 4runner when I installed an aftermarket in dash DVD/NAvi unit and wired it to a unit I bought instead of just grounding it out or instead of wiring it to a switch that made it just play all the time while on the move. No e brake, no park, no button.
Old 02-04-12, 08:35 AM
Muti007
Advanced

I dont have rear seat entertainment pack either, just nav, dvd changer and ML.
Old 02-04-12, 10:30 PM
BeatSonic
Sponsor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Multi,

We also have a plug and play module to allow video in motion:

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/beat-son...ss-module.html

This unit can always be active so you don't have to deal with turning the switch every time. Also, even if you upgrade the map, the video in motion will continue to work.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/
Old 02-04-12, 11:35 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Thanks Beat, just looked at your products. Whats the difference between the $125 unit you linked to and the $220 unit?
Old 02-06-12, 10:40 AM
BeatSonic
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Muti007
Thanks Beat, just looked at your products. Whats the difference between the $125 unit you linked to and the $220 unit?
Hi Multi,

The $125 unit will only allow the video-in-motion. The $220 until will allow both navigation controls such as address input, POI in addition to the video in motion that the $125 offers.

Although the video in motion is always active, the navigation controller/bypass will only be active when the control button is pressed.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,

Eric

Old 02-06-12, 05:11 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by BeatSonic
Hi Multi,

The $125 unit will only allow the video-in-motion. The $220 until will allow both navigation controls such as address input, POI in addition to the video in motion that the $125 offers.

Although the video in motion is always active, the navigation controller/bypass will only be active when the control button is pressed.

Thanks,

Eric
Beat, if Im becoming a pain here, please let me know and we can move to PM. Will just the video in motion require hitting a switch or will it just work all the time, no manual intervention? Also, is it an easy plug and play install with something under the seat or does it require pullig the dash apart and yanking the headunit?
Old 02-06-12, 05:24 PM
BeatSonic
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Muti007
Beat, if Im becoming a pain here, please let me know and we can move to PM. Will just the video in motion require hitting a switch or will it just work all the time, no manual intervention? Also, is it an easy plug and play install with something under the seat or does it require pullig the dash apart and yanking the headunit?
We love questions, please ask away

The video in motion does come with a switch but you will not have to switch to bypass mode every time you want to engage the video in motion. This is because the module will work all the time as long as the switch is on the bypass mode.

Yes, it is an easy plug and play. However, it does require you to take apart the center console to get behind the screen.

Thanks,

Old 02-07-12, 07:52 PM
sidwin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i just ordered both the dvd and nav bypass can't wait to see how she does. got the beatsonic one because they do both phone in motion and nav bypass while coastal only had nav bypass and NO dvd bypass if you have the changer.
Old 03-06-12, 06:50 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Sid, did you install them yet? How are they? Im getting ready to order as well and also an Ipod kit so any input is greatly appreciated. Also, is there a CL discount for Beat Sonic? I noticed a promo code spot on their check out page but couldnt find one to enter.

Last edited by Muti007; 03-07-12 at 04:51 AM.
Old 03-08-12, 04:52 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Just ordered the Beat Sonic DVD bypass unit, cant wait to get it. Now need to decide which Ipod kit to get and make sure it doesnt conflict with the bypass installation.
Old 03-10-12, 11:46 PM
sidwin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes i got mine installed. dvd bypass is worth it. also allows you to dial in motion. i did both the dvd and nav bypass.nav bypass was only $40 bucks more when you buy the bundle.

Quick Reply: Is ""DVD bypass" what *I think it is and where do I get it?