GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Just replaced my all rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-12, 11:56 PM
Jonshei
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just replaced my all rotors

Now i just replaced my rotors all throught out, no more vibration. Is that going to void my extended warranty since i did not use a genuine rotors and pads?
Old 01-22-12, 07:48 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brakes and rotors are not covered under the extened warranty, so not sure what it could void on that warranty? The problem you would have is if these parts failed, and caused a problem with something that is covered by that warranty, which is not likely. You have that warranty for major component failure, engine, trans, rear end, etc.
Old 01-22-12, 10:16 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

depends on who is providing coverage, right?

the original fact warranty doesn't even include brake bits wear and tear

btw, i'd never go aftermarket on brake components. too important to F witha nything less than oem parts.
Old 01-23-12, 02:37 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
btw, i'd never go aftermarket on brake components. too important to F witha nything less than oem parts.
Really?

There are a number of aftermkt suppliers with superior products than OEM for Lexus'. For instance, this weekend I changed the pads on our GS350 to Akebono ProACT. Guess what? Minimal brake dust as compared to OEM, better stopping power (allegedly but so far so good) and no more cold pad squeal due to poorly designed/fitted shims. This was the only real solution after having 2 TSB's previously applied... (one b/c the pads were way too dusty and the second b/c of even more improperly fitted shims).

Last edited by BurgBoxstr; 01-23-12 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-23-12, 04:37 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Not sure how you can say it's superior to OEM. who's keeping score?

the only truly known quantity is what Toyota puts on their cars. i have no issues with stopping power, brake dust nor brake noise with my factory setup. sourcing parts is also easy as pie and will be assured for years on end. i trust toyota factory parts.

all the more power to you, wish you nothing but the best - just saying it's not for me and i'm sure others as well.
Old 01-23-12, 05:22 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Still riding on the OEM Duncrap GrandTrek tires?
Old 01-23-12, 07:38 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

i would if mpg was important.
Old 01-24-12, 06:27 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

What about only trusting factory parts? Surely you can't be or feel safe venturing outside of the Toyota factory parts, right?

Old 01-24-12, 08:24 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Now you're grasping at straws. Chalk one up for the ROK.
Old 01-24-12, 08:47 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't speak to other brake parts yet, at 60.000 miles, still riding on original brakes, rotors, and Duncrap tires. I do know, coming from (3) Jeeps (multiple breke isssues there), and about (30) american cars, Toyota OEM parts may not be perfect, but they set a pretty good standard for known quality, compared to other manufactures. IMO (so far). A fair portion of this group may not have the mechanical expertise and should feel comfortable with factory parts. Others with more experience can experiment. You can always buy better, if you know what you are looking for.

Last edited by Ancient; 01-24-12 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-24-12, 10:26 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

My point is - I meant no disrespect to the OP and Boxster - everything in car land is a compromise. You simply can't get better braking, less noise, and reduction of brake dust without giving up something. I speak from experience.

Back when I had an E46 M3, I swapped out my stock brake pads for aftermarket ones because I was sick and tired of brake dust accumulating on my beautiful BBS LM wheels. But guess what? There's less bite and worse cold weather performance. I gave up on a couple of braking measures, and allegedly sacrificed a bit of braking performance, for vanity. Would I go this route again many years later being older and perhaps wiser? No. Whether aftermarket or OEM, were the brakes working? Yes, of course. But I just choose to always pick OEM over aftermarket wherever sensible. A few bucks saved is not worth it to me. I'll spend more for OEM.

As for the tires example, this isn't quite the same as swapping out brake pads since it's much easier to tangibly see results. I got to places I wouldn't have been able to go with the factory street tires in a very recent PNW snowstorm. But Toyota would never outfit their GXs or any other SUV with AT tires because you take a major hit on mpg. Plus, it's a lot more expensive to source, supply, and sell big tread tires to the typical Lexus GX consumer. Plus, I'm buying a product manufactured by a proven brand - Toyo/BFG, etc - resold at a major tire chain. Pads are much easier to source and resell by any mom and pop shop with a web presence.

Heck, we're not even talking about the same cars here. This isn't the GS350 sedan we're talking about. This is a GX forum. My best recommendation is, for the GX470, stick with OEM brakes as they're the only proven, factory backed solution. Period. For my cars moving forward, each of them will feature factory brake parts as I don't want to mess with anything less for such an important safety item. I think this is good, sensible advice. Others may disagree. And that's fine. Do you.

Last edited by ROK; 01-24-12 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-24-12, 01:35 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
My point is - I meant no disrespect to the OP and Boxster - everything in car land is a compromise. You simply can't get better braking, less noise, and reduction of brake dust without giving up something. I speak from experience.

Back when I had an E46 M3, I swapped out my stock brake pads for aftermarket ones because I was sick and tired of brake dust accumulating on my beautiful BBS LM wheels. But guess what? There's less bite and worse cold weather performance. I gave up on a couple of braking measures, and allegedly sacrificed a bit of braking performance, for vanity. Would I go this route again many years later being older and perhaps wiser? No. Whether aftermarket or OEM, were the brakes working? Yes, of course. But I just choose to always pick OEM over aftermarket wherever sensible. A few bucks saved is not worth it to me. I'll spend more for OEM.

As for the tires example, this isn't quite the same as swapping out brake pads since it's much easier to tangibly see results. I got to places I wouldn't have been able to go with the factory street tires in a very recent PNW snowstorm. But Toyota would never outfit their GXs or any other SUV with AT tires because you take a major hit on mpg. Plus, it's a lot more expensive to source, supply, and sell big tread tires to the typical Lexus GX consumer. Plus, I'm buying a product manufactured by a proven brand - Toyo/BFG, etc - resold at a major tire chain. Pads are much easier to source and resell by any mom and pop shop with a web presence.

Heck, we're not even talking about the same cars here. This isn't the GS350 sedan we're talking about. This is a GX forum. My best recommendation is, for the GX470, stick with OEM brakes as they're the only proven, factory backed solution. Period. For my cars moving forward, each of them will feature factory brake parts as I don't want to mess with anything less for such an important safety item. I think this is good, sensible advice. Others may disagree. And that's fine. Do you.
IMO OEM is usually middle of the road on quality/performance. There is cheap aftermarket junk used at discount auto chains that is inferior to OEM, Than there is aftermarket performance "upgrades" that sometimes cost more than OEM and may perform better. When replacing parts for my GX its either OEM or aftermarket "upgraded" parts only. I will not use inferior parts to save money. I recently replaced all my rotors with aftermarket drilled/slotted rotors from a reputable dealer. I have no regrets and believe the performance is better than the OEM blanks at appx. the same price.
Old 01-24-12, 01:44 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

used centrex pads, rotors and calipers, (both OEM front calipers froze), its been 20,000 miles they seem to work as good or maybe better than stock. toyota does not make this stuff, they source it out, many times from the same factories that make them for other aftermarket companies. You just have to know what you are buying and from who.

Last edited by ALAN553; 01-24-12 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-24-12, 03:31 PM
2005GX
10th Gear

Default OEM stuff

At 20,000 miles the GX brakes were toast. Changed with all OEM and has gone another 20,000 without issues.

Not great milage for brakes but mention this because:

On another model (430 LS) I put after market pads on and they worked great, stopped and performed as expected.

But I was cautioned that they may become noisy after a few miles. They started with what I would describe as an aggressive sound......... Didn't bother me but .........

Boy was I sorry this was on my wife's car as the first hint of noise caused a stir, to say the least.

Reinstalled OEM pads and all noise went away and needless to say, from here on it will be OEM only when it comes to brakes.
Old 01-24-12, 10:17 PM
Jonshei
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the responses.

Quick Reply: Just replaced my all rotors