GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

100,000 mile GX still super reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-14, 06:28 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
Silver. That jank is 17 foot long and will not leave me much to play with when parking in the garage. Have you done the timing belt on your GX? I have done the one on the GS300 I have and was wondering if the crank bolt was really hard to get loose.
Damn 17ft...that's like my old '06 Tundra DC, it was a little over 19ft. That thing was a boat.

The PO had the timing belt replaced during the 90K service. I bought it with a little over 90K (93K I think) so I'm good to go. I know there's a timing belt thread here where a few guys have replaced it....found it.

Here's the link:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ng-belt-2.html

Originally Posted by mann777
you must have the Crankshaft pulley removal tool to remove the crankshaft dampers bolt, Mine was pretty hard, I had to soak WD to have them soaked for 2 hours or so.
Old 01-16-14, 06:37 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

thanks for that link. looks very familiar so I will be comfortable doing work on this GX when/if I get one.
Old 01-16-14, 06:42 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

thanks for that link. looks very familiar so I will be comfortable doing work on this GX when/if I get one.
Good luck in your search!
Old 01-16-14, 06:48 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

what year did the dashboard crack issue go away or are all GX470's susceptible to it? Just read a thread on that problem.
Old 01-16-14, 10:31 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

what year did the dashboard crack issue go away or are all GX470's susceptible to it? Just read a thread on that problem.
It didn't go away. It affects many Lexus and Toyota vehicles.
Old 01-19-14, 01:37 PM
GX470Fan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cracked Dash Problem

I had an '03 4Runner Limited for almost 5 years before a collision with a deer ended it' s life and had zero problems with any cracking on the dash. Lucky, I guess. That's when I bought my '07 GX. Again, the dash was absolutely perfect and has stayed that way, so far. However, after reading about all the problems regarding the cracking problems, I bought a sweet dashcover just to hedge my bet on the dash. I actually like the way it looks. It's a new material, not the usual "fake velvet" or whatever the usual material is. I really love my GX for MANY reasons and want to keep it in the best possible shape. I bought it with about 89k (almost perfect) miles on it and I plan to keep it until WELL over 300k miles. And I'll do whatever it takes to keep it looking and running as brand new as possible. My two cents.
Old 01-19-14, 05:15 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

where did you buy it?
Old 01-20-14, 02:04 PM
GX470Fan
Driver School Candidate

Default Local Shop

where did you buy it?
I bought it at a small, local shop here in Durango, Colorado. Just do a search for dashboard covers in Durango, I forget the name at the moment. It only cost about $45 and she has MANY choices of covers made from different materials. I have to say the fit isn't PERFECT, but it's damn close. It came with some Velcro strips that I cut up into smaller pieces and put all over the dash. The only downside was that it didn't come with a hole for the sensor on the drivers side of the dash. No problem: I just positioned the cover perfectly, then drew a circle around the sensor with a pen (the cover is a slightly sparkling black color so I could JUST see it). Then I took a pair of SMALL, very sharp scissors (from my Leatherman) and cut out the circle. It worked perfectly and the sensor works just fine. The only time I have a slight "problem" with it is when I turn on the front defroster on the highest setting. Then I get a slight fluttering of the cover. Not enough to dislodge it from the dash, but it's a bit "annoying", I guess. But since I don't run the front defroster on high that often, I don't really mind. I really like the look of the cover and the protection that it gives my dash. It actually compliments the interior of my GX, especially since I have the Sports Package with the dark interior and the black birds-eye maple trim. Do a search a check out what she's got to offer. Worth a look, I think. My two cents, good luck!
Old 01-21-14, 12:38 PM
GX470Fan
Driver School Candidate

Oh, I remembered the name of the place: Blondies Pit Stop in Durango, Colorado. And they'll ship anywhere, no problem. Good Luck!!
Old 04-03-15, 03:07 PM
Pccruiser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I am considering trading in my wife's 2011 Honda Odyssey with 32k miles on it for a local GX470. The one I've found (there are more but I will only buy through a dealership with their inspection process) is a 2007 with a 151k miles on it.

I have seen the car fax and it has had almost all of the normal maintenance done, alternator replaced, power steering fluid replaced etc.

My biggest concern is that they did not replace the timing belt and water pump at 90k miles. I know that needs to be done. I'm going to look at it tomorrow and see what I can get on trade in on the Honda.

I want this to be a good decision I'm just not sure how smart it is. 120k miles and I wouldn't blink. But over 150k?

I do know and love the platform though. I drive a 2009 FJ Cruiser and am well versed on working on it.
Old 04-03-15, 04:48 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

This engine and transmission will run 300k miles without blinking an eye if they've been maintained.

One thing for sure is, you will need to get the timing belt and water pump done. If it's a dealer ask them to do it as a condition of sale. Also need the plugs changed.

If you pull the plug get all of the fluids changed - transmission, front/rear diff and transfer case. Your transmission will thank you.

If it's clean, got a good service history, the price is right and the dealer is going to take care of the water pump, I wouldn't blink. That said, it's not new, so be prepared to put some $'s into it over the next couple of years e.g. shocks, air bags, brakes etc. 100k+ miles on mine and I plan to drive it for another 200k miles.
Old 03-22-18, 07:38 PM
Clancy
Driver School Candidate

Picked up an '03 three months back for $6500. Only major issue I had was at 196k miles the rear air suspension died and recently when the shift cable broke (presumably due to rust.) I picked up some arnott shocks and springs for 600 and paid 200 in labor to have them installed. The cost for the new cable was $200 with $200 extra in labor. When I bought it the amplifier had died at some point before, so an OEM one was $400. There was a significant amount of rust so I jacked it up and undercoated it with POR-15. Besides that I've put over 7k miles on it in the last 3 months on several road trips and it only left me stranded once (when the shift cable broke.) Highly recommend as most cost less than 4runners and it's a cheaper alternative to the Land Cruiser/LX.
Old 03-26-18, 09:12 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, my '08 GX w/99K mi now has been pretty reliable (bought it new as a "left-over" on the stealer's lot in late '09). My GX hasn't been as good as my amazingly reliable 2GS4, but still pretty good.
- Leaky water pump at 45K mi. (Took the opportunity to change out the timing belt for cheap then, so that was nice.)
- Alternator at 65K mi.
- Air fuel ratio sensor at 75K. (Threw a CEL that didn't clear with a new gas cap.)
- Both rear electrically adjustable shocks at 99K mi.
- Couple of rotors up front and at least once out back. Weak point!
- Two and a half batteries. (The last one only went a year or two and was replaced under warranty. Not really a GX issue, but just sharing.)
Old 10-09-21, 02:59 PM
raiders3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
I have a friend with a 2004 land cruiser with 280,000 miles, Toyota trucks are bullet proof!
I have over 384,000 miles on my ‘05 4Runner.

Seriously considering a GX.

Last 4Runner with a V8 was ‘09 model.
Old 10-09-21, 07:30 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by raiders3
I have over 384,000 miles on my ‘05 4Runner.

Seriously considering a GX.

Last 4Runner with a V8 was ‘09 model.
i posted that years ago…I believe she now has over 600,000 miles on that land cruiser

Quick Reply: 100,000 mile GX still super reliable?