GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

100,000 mile GX still super reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-13, 12:34 PM
GX470Fan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GX vs 4Runner Limited

Originally Posted by Fluid
I'm currently truck-shopping. I started looking for 4Runners and now moved on and am targeting a GX, but only because my wife insists I get a vehicle with a 3rd row (4Runners w/3rd rows are rare and crowded). I'm curious about your comment above - can you elaborate on why you like the GX so much better (other than more room)? TIA
There are SO many reasons why I feel my '07 GX is FAR superior to my old 4Runner Limited. First of all, the pure luxury of the GX is several levels above the 4Runner, even though it was the Limited Edition. The Mark Levinson sound system is much better than the "upgraded" JBL system in the 4Runner. The voice-activated Nav system wasn't even offered on my 4Runner. The ride of the GX is the best ride I've ever had in an SUV, period. The third row seats ARE a nice touch, however I don't use them. I leave them folded up to the side and there is still PLENTY of storage room in the back. Yes, like some other posters said, the third row seats are definitely for kids only. Adults would be VERY cramped back there, but they are usable. The leather in the GX is MUCH better than the leather in the 4Runner as well and the leather/wood combo steering wheel is a very unique touch usually reserved for vehicles costing well over $100-150k. The horsepower and torque are also way above what my 4Runner had. I also have the KDSS on my GX (it came as part of the Sport Package, which I absolutely love) and it's incredible for serious off-road driving, which I do a fair amount of mostly in Moab, Utah. That was an option, I think, on my 4Runner, but mine did not have it. It basically helps keep all 4 wheels on the ground when traversing rough terrain and keeps the GX level. Great option to have, for me. Even the Halogen headlights are far better than the traditional headlights on the 4Runner. I could go on, but like I posted before, to me, the GX is just in a class that's 3-4 levels above the 4Runner. I really liked my 4Runner and it was very capable on and off-road. But the GX just does it all MUCH better and in total luxury. I will likely never drive another brand besides Lexus now that I've had a taste. I MAY trade up to the LX after I get 3-400k miles out if my GX, but that won't be for a nice, long while. I look forward to driving my GX at every chance I get, around town, long road trips and pretty serious off-roading. It doesn't hurt that the Wife loves it, too, : ). Drive the rest, then drive the best, the GX. Then you'll see, in my opinion, that the GX is head and shoulders better (in so many ways) than anything else in its class (including Mercedes and BMW's!). My two cents. Good luck in finding a sweet GX!

Last edited by GX470Fan; 12-19-13 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Misspellings
Old 12-19-13, 02:18 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
That is, I think, my point. If your intended use for the third row seats is for young children, the third row seats will be fine, but, if you are using them to haul around grandma and grandpa (or most other adults), you are going to have unhappy passengers, not only with the amount of room that they have, but, also, with the contortions that they have to perform to get in and out.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my GX. With almost 9 years of ownership, it is the 2nd longest I've ever kept a vehicle, and, if I didn't think it was a great vehicle, I certainly would not have had it that long. But, to me, the third row seats still come across as an afterthought, and their implementation is clearly not as good as the third row seats in many of its competitor's vehicles or those in the more recent versions the GX.
While I agree w/your point about the 3rd row being useful for smaller folks (my daughters love it too -- it's a novelty), I think Lexus took a step backward w/the new GX, installing a permanent 3rd row in the floor (power actuated?!) that can't be removed. it's quite rare to find (I've yet to see one) a modern SUV that allows you to remove the 3rd row for more cargo space. 99.9% of the time our 3rd row seats are sitting on a shelf in the garage, freeing up a bunch of space in the trunk. 99.9% of the time, the 3rd row in the new GX, and the LC for that matter, is just taking up space.

IIRC the 3rd row in the LC *is* technically removable but it's a semi-permanent mod, not easily swappable like our GXs.

I've had mine since new in '07. Bought it because we had kids and needed to tow some. Couldn't find anything better, but was really bugged by the idea of buying a lexus (I'm more of a toyota guy). That said, I've had it longer than any other car, and put more miles on it than any other car as well. By a long shot.
Old 12-20-13, 08:26 AM
mglexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We bought our 2008 GX 2 years ago with 67,000 miles on it, now it has nearly 90,000 miles and is still rock solid with virtually no issues. I have never been so pleasantly surprised with the level of service, quality, and overall attitude from sales to service. Its got the Navigation System, Mark Levinson Sound System, Pearl While with Tan interior. I agree the third row is a bit small, but I've been a passenger back there a few times and I'm 6'. Would not want to do it for very long!

We sold our 2004 VW Touareg with 80,000 miles that we purchased new. VW service was such a disappointment for their high end SUV which had everything possible go wrong with it from A to Z.

I'll be in the market soon for another Lexus to replace my Passat. Any Suggestions for a higher mileage Lexus. Thinking maybe an LS 430...but really like the sporty look and feel of the IS 250.
Old 01-06-14, 10:32 AM
dugahole55
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2006 GX with 168,000 Km, oil changes / regular maintenance. The alternator died last winter and I had to replace an oxygen sensor. So far very pleased with this vehicle and use it as my daily driver, great in winter.
Old 01-06-14, 10:56 AM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mglexus
We bought our 2008 GX 2 years ago with 67,000 miles on it, now it has nearly 90,000 miles and is still rock solid with virtually no issues. I have never been so pleasantly surprised with the level of service, quality, and overall attitude from sales to service. Its got the Navigation System, Mark Levinson Sound System, Pearl While with Tan interior. I agree the third row is a bit small, but I've been a passenger back there a few times and I'm 6'. Would not want to do it for very long!

We sold our 2004 VW Touareg with 80,000 miles that we purchased new. VW service was such a disappointment for their high end SUV which had everything possible go wrong with it from A to Z.

I'll be in the market soon for another Lexus to replace my Passat. Any Suggestions for a higher mileage Lexus. Thinking maybe an LS 430...but really like the sporty look and feel of the IS 250.
don't go with IS250 it's boring, keep an eyes on IS350 or higher ISF both are fun to drive, but to me ISF far away to IS350. B/c i have the F and you r living FL so you do not mind the rear wheel drive right? Good luck !
Old 01-06-14, 11:37 AM
LVLEXUS
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From a 100,000 GX470 driver....

the GX470 IS ROCL SOLID....
Does not matter what brand you may drive,,,,The GX 470 will last 300 to 400 thousand.....IF YOU...

DO THE MAINTENACE AS REQUIRED...IT WILL SERVE YOU WELL...

Having my GX470 in the shop tomorrow for : front and rear shocks
4 brand new Michelins
wheel alignment

Just had the differential fluids changed out

Will do cabin filter myself next time....dealer wanted 60.00...FRAM for 14.00
Will replace hood struts

AGAIN...ROCK SOLID V8 THAT HAS SERVED ME WELL......

going to shop this week for a 2014 GX460......just not sure if this model is ending and being replaced with.....???????????

Last edited by LVLEXUS; 01-06-14 at 11:43 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 01-13-14, 08:29 AM
amccaulx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVLEXUS
From a 100,000 GX470 driver....

the GX470 IS ROCL SOLID....
Does not matter what brand you may drive,,,,The GX 470 will last 300 to 400 thousand.....IF YOU...

DO THE MAINTENACE AS REQUIRED...IT WILL SERVE YOU WELL...

Having my GX470 in the shop tomorrow for : front and rear shocks
4 brand new Michelins
wheel alignment

Just had the differential fluids changed out

Will do cabin filter myself next time....dealer wanted 60.00...FRAM for 14.00
Will replace hood struts

AGAIN...ROCK SOLID V8 THAT HAS SERVED ME WELL......

going to shop this week for a 2014 GX460......just not sure if this model is ending and being replaced with.....???????????
Yea, we get 2 more years of the GX460, then it is being discontinued, and replaced by another unibody CUV...as if we didn't have enough of those already.

How much is it going to cost to replace those shocks?

I would say the GX470's suspension(Rear Air and Xreas) is its weak point, and everything else is pretty rock solid. Granted shocks are only supposed to last about 60k miles, but I have driven vehicles that have 150k miles on the stock shocks, and they aren't horrible. My wifes 2006 GX470 with 80k miles has some weird suspension issue, and it clunks over every bump. Hopefully it isn't blown shocks.

I was under it this weekend for the first time doing an oil change, and I would have to say I was pretty impressed with how everything looked under there. No rust, no leaks (Except for the front diff drain plug, which the dealer forgot to replace the crush washer on the last service). Luckily the Transfer Case had no leaks, and radiator looked good as well (Common issues).

I have gotta say that 4.7 V8 and Trans still perform flawlessly and smoothly, and I can see them lasting a long time to come. I do worry a little about the Rear Airbags, Xreas, KDSS, and some of the electronics failing during our ownership, which will be expensive to replace/fix.
Old 01-13-14, 09:12 AM
LVLEXUS
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The shocks were that not expensive....

ALL 4 shocks replaced at dealership.....and this includes the labor....

$1,600
Old 01-13-14, 10:24 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LVLEXUS
ALL 4 shocks replaced at dealership.....and this includes the labor....

$1,600
Was that at a Lexus dealer? If so that's a pretty good deal. Front & rear shocks alone run $1300+ and that's Sewell's pricing which is much less than other Lexus dealers. By the time you add labor that'll easily tact on another $500+.

Just an FYI for anyone getting their front shocks replaced, also have your upper shock mounts replaced too. Over time the rubber will get old and separate from the metal mount itself and you'll have a very bad clucking noise when going over bumps, rough roads etc.

In order to replace the upper mounts you have to remove the shock so you'll save a lot of money on labor costs having them replaced when you're also having your front shocks replaced. The upper mounts are not part of the shock assembly so you'll have to buy them separate. They run about $70-$90 per side.

- Drivers Side: 48609-60040
- Passengers Side: 48609-60040

The following users liked this post:
Johnny Rad (03-25-18)
Old 01-16-14, 09:33 AM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

After looking at Sequoias, 4Runners, Landcruisers, LX470 I saw a great deal on a "04 GX out of town. My brother took a look, talked the price down a bit since the windshield wasn't perfect and the rear brakes looked a bit low, and a week or so later, I was driving it home!
It had 190,000 kms on it (118,000 mi) with winter tires already mounted, a pretty-much flawless interior and had had a very minor fender bender on the front passenger corner which was all repaired including a new headlight assembly. Black with grey interior.
The transmission looked as though there had been some work done on it but has been solid with no issues - knock on wood.
This was a trade-in at a Mercedes dealership which was bought by a salesperson for family coming in town for a couple of months. One the family was gone, they put the truck up for sale and I was lucky enough to find it. I'm pretty sure it was sold at wholesale or below as the price I paid was far lower than what I've seen in these parts: $13, 600 CDN.
So far, I've done very little other than having a complete detailing done at the local Lexus dealership (twice, since the first time they tried, they were a bit lazy) and checking the oil, tire pressure and gas fills. Mileage is pretty good for a truck this size averaging about 400km per tank city with a tank costing about $70 canuck bucks.
I've also installed the 2010 version of the Nav disk which I procurred slightly grey market-ish and purchased a DLM OBD II to USB adapter and TIS software from Amazon for about 20 bucks.
Future plans include some FJ cruiser rims with newer rubber for summer, fluid changes over to Amsoil, Weathertech digital fits (shipped!), some way to play tunes from the iPod/iPhone and possibly Bluetooth, and an OEM trailer hitch - which I found a great writeup on this forum!
So far, I look forward to driving this truck every day! Great vehicle!!
Old 01-16-14, 04:53 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Man I'm torn right now on a new ride. My 91 4runner that I purchased new in 1990 has a slight leak in the driver cyclinder head. These 3.0l were famous for head gasket issues. Anyways I am just shy of 300,000 on it and have decided to let my daughter's fiance have it. He will have it as a project and I will still see it around.
Here is my quandry. I am looking at a 2013 Sequoia SR5, RWD with 19,000 on it and a 2009 GX470 with ML stereo and 29,000 on it. Both are about same price in low 30's. I own 2 other Lexus sedans, but have not owned the SUV. Does anyone know of any issues with the 2009 model? Does the 2009 model have the sealed tranny and does it have a timing belt or chain?
Old 01-16-14, 05:22 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I'd take the newer Sequoia if you're going to need and or use the extra room. If not get the GX. The '09 GX is no different mechanically than the '05-'08 GXs.

Yes the '09 has the sealed transmission too and as with all 2uz-fe engines, it uses a timing belt.
Old 01-16-14, 05:43 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

thanks, the space is not really needed, The one thing tha I do not like about the GX is the Black paint. Would prefer any color but that.
Old 01-16-14, 06:04 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by burny
thanks, the space is not really needed, The one thing tha I do not like about the GX is the Black paint. Would prefer any color but that.
I know what you mean. I passed up 2 Sport packages (Black and a dark blue, I think it's called Nautical Blue Metallic?) for my Blizzard Pearl. I can leave my GX dirty for 2 months, not that I have , and it'll still look clean.

If it were me I'd definitely pass on a black GX. What color is the Sequoia?
Old 01-16-14, 06:17 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Silver. That jank is 17 foot long and will not leave me much to play with when parking in the garage. Have you done the timing belt on your GX? I have done the one on the GS300 I have and was wondering if the crank bolt was really hard to get loose.

Quick Reply: 100,000 mile GX still super reliable?