GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Pictures of my new 2009 GX

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-11, 05:43 AM
kalcris
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$28K..wow, I'm going to Maryland for my next Lexus.
Old 12-30-11, 06:48 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

My dealer has one with similar options like yours, Navi, 3rd row, 2009, 45k miles and certified. They listed $43995 and will let go at $40000. But I think it is still too high.

The search continues.....
Old 12-30-11, 08:13 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dude for 40K, I'd rather look for a Land Cruiser. the GX470 is just too dated to justify anything above $25K imo.

it's one of those vehicles that you can buy that's higher mileage and older, so long as it's been well maintained, w/ minimal concerns. the 2uzfe engine is bulletproof and a marvel of silky, reliable engineering. just make sure to get one with the VVTI motor. then keep it for as long as possible because keepin' up with the jonses along the daily driver automotive front is an absolute lost cause.
Old 12-30-11, 09:50 AM
kalcris
Rookie

There is a white 09 at my local dealer for $39,900 with 45,000 cpo. When I bought my 08 in august mine had a sticker price of $38,800. I left and came back a month later after looking at several more. Ended up buying it fr $34,500 and they gave me $1000 more for my trade than anyone else.

Now my wife likes the new RX350, we had a loaner when her rx330 was in for some work. I went back to the same sales rep and you would think he never met me, same song and dance about the price is the price, maybe $100 off etc. for a 2010/2011 CPO. Time to start shopping again.
Old 12-30-11, 03:46 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

@ROK - I think I understand your point about the GX being a dated design, but isn't that the kettle calling the pot black from the perspective of the Landcruiser?! While the GX isn't a spring chicken, the LC is as old or older inside and out - right? For $40K, you're getting a low mileage '06 (last year of the prev gen) model. For more $ than the GX, you're getting a bigger truck that's honestly not all that much bigger inside if at all. It lacks dual climate controls. The nav is an older system. It's slower and drinks more gas, which is an awesome combination. For the $25K budget, my guess is that it's difficult to find any LC gems that outshine a GX.

Since the GX is essentially the same rig from '05 through '09, it's easy for me to wrap my little brain around folks who want to trade a few model years for a lower price tag. What are buyers missing out on the '05-'07 versus the '08-'09? Cosmetics only. "Stealing" a lower mileage +'05 model year GX in the $25K range is definitely a great option if you're looking.

Please don't get me wrong. I absolutely covet the prev-generation LC, but I can't see myself ever getting one. I think I like the idea of the LC more than actually owning one. Here's my same sentiment from awhile back:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx4...he-new-lx.html
Old 12-30-11, 07:58 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
@ROK - I think I understand your point about the GX being a dated design, but isn't that the kettle calling the pot black from the perspective of the Landcruiser?! While the GX isn't a spring chicken, the LC is as old or older inside and out - right? For $40K, you're getting a low mileage '06 (last year of the prev gen) model. For more $ than the GX, you're getting a bigger truck that's honestly not all that much bigger inside if at all. It lacks dual climate controls. The nav is an older system. It's slower and drinks more gas, which is an awesome combination. For the $25K budget, my guess is that it's difficult to find any LC gems that outshine a GX.

Since the GX is essentially the same rig from '05 through '09, it's easy for me to wrap my little brain around folks who want to trade a few model years for a lower price tag. What are buyers missing out on the '05-'07 versus the '08-'09? Cosmetics only. "Stealing" a lower mileage +'05 model year GX in the $25K range is definitely a great option if you're looking.

Please don't get me wrong. I absolutely covet the prev-generation LC, but I can't see myself ever getting one. I think I like the idea of the LC more than actually owning one. Here's my same sentiment from awhile back:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx4...he-new-lx.html
Firstly, I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts. It's exchanging dialogue like this that keeps bringing me back to this good place.

Secondly/honestly, as with a many things desirable such as these luxury vehicles we hold onto so dearly, a part of the charm is pedigree. The LC is known all around the world and shipped all around the world. It's a 4x4 icon. The GX is exclusively North America strip malls, inc.

If you take a look at the suspension and chassis bits and compare them to the GX, the LC sits on a superior, more proven platform. So for these two reasons alone, had I given myself a $40K budget v. $25K, I would've gladly picked up a used LX/LC with zero regrets.

With that said, please do not forget that I do love my GX and wouldn't ever go back to a 4Runner as I like the added class and niceties. It's just that I know where it stands and I'm totally comfortable with that. For $23.5K, it was a no brainer for me.

Last edited by ROK; 12-30-11 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-30-11, 08:58 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

I second Rok's comments on the Land Cruiser. About a year ago, I was looking at an 09, but didn't put a bid on it. When I went back the dealer had sent it to auction because they were setting on it for a while. I ended up with the GX and don't regret it. However, I always look through the ads and get my eyes open. I will get one in the next year or so. Don't know of any dealer that orders them in for stock in my state.
Old 12-30-11, 09:53 PM
cobra2top
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ROK, alot of people equate the GX as a exclusively North American strip malls light weight. A little YouTube search for "prado off road" and in many parts of the world, the Prado is the Landcruiser for that country. I would suspect our little GX has the pedigree to get through alot more then mall parking lots......

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=lyl7ytk1YIw

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=aIq9YdTdWs4

Also search Prado 120 to narrow down to the GX like model. Alot of videos showing fairly stock Prados going through a ton of terrain.....pretty cool!!

Last edited by cobra2top; 12-31-11 at 05:14 AM.
Old 12-31-11, 09:30 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

That is the main reason why I am still holding off. I really like the 08-09 GX470 but spending close to $40k for it is hard to swallow. I have made couple offers in the $35-36k for these but they don't want to sell yet.
Old 01-03-12, 01:48 PM
Vlad6525
Pit Crew

Received 107 Likes on 65 Posts

From the pictures it looks like your gear shifter has bird's eye maple wood, which was standard wood trim on 2003-2007 GX, while the rest of the car has proper 2008-2009 wood trim...why is the shifter different?
Old 01-03-12, 01:59 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cobra2top
ROK, alot of people equate the GX as a exclusively North American strip malls light weight. A little YouTube search for "prado off road" and in many parts of the world, the Prado is the Landcruiser for that country. I would suspect our little GX has the pedigree to get through alot more then mall parking lots......

Also search Prado 120 to narrow down to the GX like model. Alot of videos showing fairly stock Prados going through a ton of terrain.....pretty cool!!
Good stuff my man!
Old 01-03-12, 02:26 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Originally Posted by Vlad6525
From the pictures it looks like your gear shifter has bird's eye maple wood, which was standard wood trim on 2003-2007 GX, while the rest of the car has proper 2008-2009 wood trim...why is the shifter different?
Good eyes, did not see that at first.
Old 01-03-12, 07:46 PM
CruiserGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by cobra2top

The GX is a great off road vehicle, but it has a major shortcoming that could easily be replaced. The rear suspension, put coils instead of the airbags. You could easily pop the bags like the Trailex project did.
Old 01-04-12, 04:42 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kalcris
$28K..wow, I'm going to Maryland for my next Lexus.
In my 4 months of search within 500 mile radius I never came across an 09 for under $30k. The ad for this car was being posted while I was refreshing the search results and I jumped on it.
Old 01-04-12, 04:47 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
Dude for 40K, I'd rather look for a Land Cruiser. the GX470 is just too dated to justify anything above $25K imo.

it's one of those vehicles that you can buy that's higher mileage and older, so long as it's been well maintained, w/ minimal concerns. the 2uzfe engine is bulletproof and a marvel of silky, reliable engineering. just make sure to get one with the VVTI motor. then keep it for as long as possible because keepin' up with the jonses along the daily driver automotive front is an absolute lost cause.
I agree. The 2003 - 2009 models are almost the same, so it is not worth spending over $40k when you can find a decent one for a lot less. I was budgeting $25k for '05-'07 and no more than $28k for 08+.

Quick Reply: Pictures of my new 2009 GX